Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Visiondudes PC has Alzheimer's

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 13 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
light on my feet
United States
Member #356
May 20, 2002
2744 Posts
Posted: January 29, 2004, 1:10 am - IP Logged

thanks again...

problems;  it took me 5 tries just to get on the net (won't load?).  then it takes a long time to load each page if it loads at all.  then it's a race to get anything in because "freeze time" is inevitable.  if the page i am trying to load is comprehensive at all.......forget it.  there are lot of places it won't load at all.

was going to re-try macafee (anti-virus) to download virus protection as per my sons "thoughts" ...and it wouldn't even load.  i had macafee, but it ran out after a year and at the time i couldn't afford it.  my macafee subscription ran out just about a week ago i believe. my puter started crashing before macafee ran out.

system;  E machines / 633 mhz / 64 mb / 128kb / 15 gb / cd-dvd / 56k modem / e tower 633 ids  (reading all the above off front of computer)

according to LP visitors log ;  i am running WIN98 + microsoft IE 5.5

thanks again for your help....

vision (shakin,  but not "stirred")

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

United States
    Member #2460
    October 7, 2003
    766 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2004, 2:01 am - IP Logged

Hi

I Got some information for you, i don't know if it's enought or not.

http://www.e4me.com/

The link above is for the EMachine Company.

E-Machines etower 633ids (ETOWER633IDS) PC Desktop

Overall rating:

Brand      E-Machines

Form Factor      Mini Tower

Manufacturer Part Number      ETOWER633IDS

Optical Drive Type      DVD-ROM

Processor Type      Celeron

Audio / Video

Audio Output Type      Sound card

Video Input Type      None

CD / DVD

Read Speed      12x

ReWrite Speed      N/A

Write Speed      N/A

Display

Type      None.

Hard Drive

Capacity      15 GB

Controller Type (2nd)      None

Interface      DMA/ATA-33 (Ultra)

RAID Level      None

Key Features

Installed Memory      64 MB (SDRAM)

Operating System      Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Processor      Intel Celeron 633 MHz

Recommended Use      Small Business, Home Use

Memory

Installed Cache Memory      128 KB

Installed RAM      64 MB

Max. Cache Memory      128 KB

Maximum RAM      256 MB

RAM Technology      SDRAM

Miscellaneous

Exterior Color      White

Package Qty.      1

Product ID      20130813

Specifications of eTower® 633ids

* Microsoft® Windows® Milennium Edition

* Intel® Celeron 633 MHz (w/128KB L2 Cache)

* Intel 810 Chipset, 66 MHz FSB

* 15 GB HDD

* AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details

* 64 MB SDRAM (1 DIMM available for upgrade up to 256MB)

* 56K* ITU v.90 PCI internal Fax/Modem

* Built-in 12x Max. DVD-ROM; 3.5" 1.44 MB FDD

* Keyboard; Mouse; Stereo Speakers

* Intel 82801 AC '97 Audio

* Intel Direct 3D 2x AGP (shared memory)

* 2 USB ports (1 is on front bezel); 1 Serial; 1 Parallel; 1 Midi/Game; 2 PS/2; Audio In & Out, Microphone In; 3 Expansion slots - 2 available

United States
      Member #2460
      October 7, 2003
      766 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2004, 2:40 am - IP Logged

Hi Again VisionDude

Try to go to an internet site where they scan your computer

and get rid of worms and viruses for free if not, you might

have to erase your hard drive and start from scrath, the biggest problems besides getting an operating system on cd if you don't have one, are the hardware drivers: Video, audio, modem, Cd, DVD and whatever others you might need, with the information that i gave above, maybe the audio and video drivers can be found for your pc, as to the modem you need to take it out, it's very easy, and write down whatever info is on it, like model number and whatever and then maybe a driver can be found, as for CD driver not to worry windows will automatically instal a generic driver and then later you can find the right drivers from the internet (Maybe) once you know exactly what kind of cd rom you have also dvd

GO TO MY COMPUTER, THEN CONTROL PANEL, THEN CLICK ON THE "SYSTEM" ICON, THEN ON "DEVICE MANAGER", THEN ON "CD ROM"

AND IT WILL SHOW YOU THE MODEL AND NUMBER, DO THE SAME FOR THE DVD DRIVE AND FOR THE MODEM SO YOU WILL KNOW WHAT KIND OF MODEM YOU HAVE, DO THE SAME WHERE IT SAYS "DISPLAY ADAPTERS" SO YOU CAN GET A VIDEO DRIVER AND LAST

DO IT WHERE IT SAYS "SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS"

SO YOU CAN GET A SOUND DRIVER, IT WILL SAY CRYSTAL CS4281

PCI AUDIO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, ALL THAT INFO IS NEEDED

IN ORDER TO GET THE RIGHT DRIVERS.

Before you erase the hard drive, you need the drivers, the operating system and a start up floppy disk, if you don't know how to get it and how to do everything let me know if you want to erase the drive and start over new and i will tell you everything, step by step, first before you do it.

Bye.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: January 29, 2004, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I had some trouble with my e-machine and it was due to the power supply being overloaded.  I added a T.V., extra HDD and some extra memory.  I bought an HP with XP but I liked my e-machine with 98 better, HP got too much stuff downloading on its own.  Got a new power supply and processor fan and removed the extra HHD and TV and it works now, but I haven't put it back on line.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1610
          June 3, 2003
          668 Posts
          Posted: January 29, 2004, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

vision, do you still have the 'recovery disc' for that machine? i had a 'slow' loading problem like that at one time and still think that it might have been a trojan or virus that slipped in here. i used recovery disc and the machine was once again like new. after the recovery disc automatically erased my hard drive and re-installed all original programs...it was like a miracle had occurred as far as the speed of my machine. i know some people who use the recovery disc routinely once or twice a year to freshen up their machines.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
            light on my feet
            United States
            Member #356
            May 20, 2002
            2744 Posts
            Posted: January 30, 2004, 1:08 am - IP Logged

it took me a long time to get in here just to read this stuff.

took over a 1/2 hour just to read 2 PM's.  (sorry for those i haven't responded back to yet (i will ).

i will have to have my son read all your "help" as even the book "computers for dummies" would be way over my head.  my son is a little farther up the evolutionary ladder than i am when it comes to this stuff.  although i am not sure we could even download a free virus scan right now as it has crawled to an o.j. simpson car chase - pace.

i will let "JR" look at your suggestions tomorrow and see if we can keep from going to anger management classes over this.

thanks again everyone.

vision

JAP69's avatar - alas
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #6
              November 4, 2001
              8790 Posts
              Posted: January 30, 2004, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

V-dude,

I am also not that computer savvy but for a simple deal to move your computer a little faster you may want to try the disk cleanup tool if you have it.
              For my computer I found the disk cleanup in the all programs in accessories in systems tools.
              Just read instructions carefully

WHATT

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #491
                July 16, 2002
                837 Posts
                Posted: January 30, 2004, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

I had the same problem a little while ago. My daughter downloaded a bunch of screen savers and Kazaa. When I checked I found just about every Spyware and Adware program known to man in my memory. With the small amount of memory V-dude has it would pretty much lock up his computer. I don't see this as a hardware problem. Spy Sweeper or SpyBot or both should be run.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #1610
                  June 3, 2003
                  668 Posts
                  Posted: January 30, 2004, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

i agree. that's what happened here last fall. my nephew was here for a few days and downloaded some stuff like screensavers and wallpaper and who knows what. my poor computer:~ so i decided to clean the whole thing out with recovery. if a person does decide to use recovery...just insert the disc into the cd tray and it'll start whirring. if a screen appears indicating recovery disc ready you will notice your bottom tool bar missing but a message to hit any key to start the process. sometimes that 'hit any key' doesn't produce any result and i find that a brief 'hard shutdown' is just the answer. just pull the a.c. plug to the computer...count about 20 seconds...replug and restart your machine and the recovery ready full screen will again appear. now the hit any key to start works...everytime :) so hit the return or any key and away you go. it will ask you if you want a complete reformatting (erasing) the hard disc and restoration. click yes and away you go again. your hard drive information will be erased along with all that nasty stuff accumulated in there and after about 10 minutes you'll notice data flying across your screen from bottom to top as the recovery disc re-installs every bit of software that your machine came with when new. simple as pie :) once recovery is done you will then have to re-enter your internet provider info and e-mail info just as you did when you set up your new computer. your machine will be just like the day you took it out of the box :) even all those old cookies will be gone ;) you will have to re-download messenger and things like that but what a wonderful feeling to have a clean machine.

Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #1610
                    June 3, 2003
                    668 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2004, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

a much less invasive approach than that listed above would be to perform the simple maintenance steps of disc clean-up followed by disc-defragmenter. not as thorough as the above approach and won't throw out homepage changing trojans or viruses but it should only take a few minutes to do this and see if it helps.

go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>perform 'disc cleanup'

followed by

go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>perform 'disc defragmenter'

you can also do some general computer housecleaning by going to upper tool bar and click 'tools' > click 'internet options' and then perform 'delete all temporary internet files' including all offline content. while you're there you can also 'clear history' ...then click 'ok'.

light on my feet
                      United States
                      Member #356
                      May 20, 2002
                      2744 Posts
                      Posted: February 2, 2004, 1:26 am - IP Logged

golotto, et al...

did the disk cleanup my self......no luck.  it won't move beyond 0%  when i tried the defrag.

couldn't download spybot/adaware.

gotta go before the puter kicks me off,  but tomorrow i am going to try dragging my computer at the end of a rope around the block to see if that works...

VISION

United States
                        Member #2460
                        October 7, 2003
                        766 Posts
                        Posted: February 2, 2004, 3:00 am - IP Logged

Vision

Do you have an operating system on a cd?

WindowsME or Win98SE or some other?

Your pc has WinME installed, and that is the worst operating system that Microsoft made so far, but anyhow, if you have a copy of WoinME on cd, do the following, load or install WinME over WinME, there is a chance, small as it might be but a good chance, that that might fix your pc.

This is how you do it, is very easy.

First turn your pc off.

Then insert or put your WinME CD into the CD Drive.

Then turn your PC ON.

And then your PC will boot off the WinME CD.

That is, it will start to load or to install WinME all over again, over the WinME installation that you already have, that has a very good chance of fixing your pc.

Your programs, will remain intact, in other words they will not be erased, you will not loose them.

As to the hardware drivers, such as modem driver am not too sure, but they might have to be reloaded, but if they have to be reloaded, your WinME CD might have them and just keep your WinME in the CD drive and reload them from the CD.

As it is, it seems to me, that you don't have anything to loose by trying this, after all your pc is alredy "KAPUT"=Not Working.

What i told you, should work, if not, your next step,would be, erasing the hard drive, using FDISK off a boot floppy and erasing the drive, then setting hard drive partitions, reformating the hard drive and reinstalling Windows from scratch, and then reloading the

hardware drivers, and "VOILA"=Finish that is.

By the way, i would advice you, to get rid of WinME and instead install Win98 first or better, Second Edition, or

Much better yet, if you can get a CD copy and serial number of Windows2000, and if you do get a copy of Win2000 and serial number, just do this.

Turn your pc off.

Put the Win2000 CD into the CD Drive.

Turn the Computer back on.

And that's it, just follow the instructions that you see on the Screen or desktop, at some point you will have to enter the serial number for Win2000, and that will be the hardest thing that you will have to do.

I don't have a copy of Win2000, but hopefully one of your

many friends here, will be good enough, to copy and send you one, along with the CD KEY or SERIAL NUMBER ?

Can somebody do this for VisionDude?

So he can get his pc working again?

And just in case he needs it, also send him a start up disk or boot floppy disk for Win2000?

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
                          Clarkston, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #76
                          January 6, 2002
                          8528 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2004, 5:58 am - IP Logged

The Little Engine that Could..........."I could if I would"

Vision, just hang in there.............I see everyone is trying to help.  If I had a Windows2000 disk, I would send it overnight but alas, I am afraid I have the same WinMe as you.  By the way, I love my ME.  I hates 98.

I also like my ADV by Grisoft.virus software.  You can get it at CNET or grisoft.com.  It is FREE and does an excellent job. I have it automatically run every night at 1 a.m.

I am not a computer buff so I can't help you.  I wish I could, but I can't.

I hope someone here has the ability to figure out what's wrong.

Good luck, my friend.

Sandy

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
                            Bakersfield
                            United States
                            Member #1568
                            May 24, 2003
                            421 Posts
                            Posted: February 3, 2004, 10:27 am - IP Logged

I think it is great the way everyone is trying to help. Such a great place here. (smile)

Get back soon Visiondude.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #2338
                              September 17, 2003
                              2063 Posts
                              Posted: February 4, 2004, 1:40 am - IP Logged

sorry i was gone for a while. had a horrific week at work and a sinus infection to boot. got my first cat scan though. seems like a bit over the top for a sinus infection.

tried for 2 days to get the laptop to post to bios without luck. it weights 18 lbs but without the ability to post its basically landfill. although if visiondude wants another broken computer than it's his.

i will ask around to see if someone has a useless computer (but one that can at least post) somewhere that i can have. got the software at this point just need the hardware.