Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:13 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

claiming your lottery money?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 13 years ago by intel.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
6of6's avatar - lightening
Alabama
United States
Member #3428
January 20, 2004
25 Posts
Posted: January 29, 2004, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I've heard that if you win the irs crawls up your butt looking for back taxes,unpaid child support,any kind of federal or state owed money......my question is does anyone actually know how long it takes to get paid, I've heard up to 6 weeks, man that is bad........I'd be like happy gilmore.. just give me one of them big checks.....hahaha

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #2448
    October 4, 2003
    25885 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2004, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

6of6, it is not likely IRS concerns itself with your back child support, but they will want and get the back state and federal taxes owed, as well as the current taxes owed on your winnings.  The back child support enforcement will be the responsibility of the custodial parent and her/his lawyer.

In all fairness, anyone who owes this money should willingly pay it.  After all you may have won millions.  Besides your children deserve to eat and survive, and your Uncle Sam, like him or not will demand and get his money.

As for how long it takes to collect, I am not sure, but you can bet as you wait for it, any one with a legitimate claim will be waiting for whats due to them.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2004, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

in P.A. it is 6 to 8 weeks according to their website FAQ.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
        chicago ill.
        United States
        Member #3600
        February 4, 2004
        337 Posts
        Posted: February 17, 2004, 9:46 am - IP Logged

6 of 6, i know that in illinois it is said to be about six weeks. But, when i won a lot of money (twice) it took four weeks once and then two weeks for the other. so , go figure!  I guess , whenever they want to move on it.

China
          Member #3032
          December 16, 2003
          1081 Posts
          Posted: February 17, 2004, 10:12 am - IP Logged

how much money is for matching all 6?

mayan27's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
            Minnesota
            United States
            Member #2426
            October 2, 2003
            84 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2004, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

"A thousand years is like a day,and a day is like a thousand years".Which ever way,once you are the winner of tonight's game,you will not believe it when the day finally reaches.

China
              Member #3032
              December 16, 2003
              1081 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2004, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

no

I will belive it when that day comes for anyone of those I helped.And I will be happy for them.Money can deal with a lot of tough problems you know!

goose

intel's avatar - shakira
                Chicago
                United States
                Member #3669
                February 10, 2004
                51 Posts
                Posted: February 17, 2004, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Most states crosscheck each winner's name against federal, state, and local agency files before they payout a penny. One Massachusetts Lottery winner of a modest (in lottery terms) $25,000 jackpot received a net check of only $6,000 after the state deducted $19,000 for previous welfare payments made to the player. Further, the state considered him to have earned income of $25,000 and removed him from the welfare rolls, leaving him worse off after he won than before! Other areas commonly checked include: U.S. citizenship status; outstanding arrest warrants or court judgments; federal, state, and local taxes owed; alimony or child support delinquency; student loan delinquency; even outstanding moving violations or unpaid parking tickets. Be aware: your jackpot can pass through many hands before placed in your pocket.

**This link already posted in past topic threads**