Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Best scratch game?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 13 years ago by MrBlay.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2004, 10:39 am - IP Logged

My vote is for the NY "Instant Take Five".

United States
    Member #3832
    February 24, 2004
    9 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2004, 9:14 am - IP Logged

My persoanl picks would be NY

1)Set for life

2)win for life $2

3)win for life $5

4)New* Money Match

I find playing instant games more fun and better odds of winning.

plnwebguy's avatar - binary

United States
      Member #3680
      February 11, 2004
      187 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2004, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I like the Instant Millionaire one that is available in Powerball states.  I've played it several times and have only had one losing ticket so far - the others were for free tickets or in the $10 range, nothing big.  But the losing ticket(s) you can send in for a drawing and they choose one person from each Powerball state to appear on a weekly show in Vegas with the grand prize being the potential to win a million dollars.  They throw in 4 days in Vegas (at the Venetian hotel), coach airfare, and $750 spending cash.  They also draw for "at-home" players and if the person from your state reaches the bonus round you get $500 and if they win the million dollars, you get $10,000. 

I've always liked scratch tickets that give you a second chance at more prizes, like this one, and I think the odds are better in some states than others of having your losing ticket drawn due to the population.  It's not a cheap ticket - $5 per ticket - but it's fun to play.

plnwebguy

United States
        Member #3832
        February 24, 2004
        9 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2004, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Which state are you in plnwebguy to play the instant millionaire, sounds like a good game. $5 is not to bad, consider i live in nyc and set for life is a wopping $10.

United States
          Member #3680
          February 11, 2004
          187 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2004, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Here's the official web site for it MrBlay - http://www.powerball.com/gameshow/gs_main.asp.  If you click on Where to Play it shows the states where you can play it - originally I thought it was played in all the Powerball states, but it's more like 2/3 of them. 

plnwebguy

Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
            Harrisburg, Pa.
            United States
            Member #3093
            December 23, 2003
            233 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2004, 6:41 am - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by plnwebguy on February 24, 2004

I like the Instant Millionaire one that is available in Powerball states.  I've played it several times and have only had one losing ticket so far - the others were for free tickets or in the $10 range, nothing big.  But the losing ticket(s) you can send in for a drawing and they choose one person from each Powerball state to appear on a weekly show in Vegas with the grand prize being the potential to win a million dollars.  They throw in 4 days in Vegas (at the Venetian hotel), coach airfare, and $750 spending cash.  They also draw for "at-home" players and if the person from your state reaches the bonus round you get $500 and if they win the million dollars, you get $10,000. 

I've always liked scratch tickets that give you a second chance at more prizes, like this one, and I think the odds are better in some states than others of having your losing ticket drawn due to the population.  It's not a cheap ticket - $5 per ticket - but it's fun to play.

I do, too.  Especially here in Pa. where the odds of a qualifier is 50-50, a $3 ticket; cash odds are 1 in 3.  Been pretty much hitting acordingly.  Still want that trip to Vegas.  Never been.  When I'm in Delaware, I also play their version of the game.  All losing tickets are qualifiers; and actually profitted, so the cash payout is good.

I, too only otherwise play the tickets with a secondary bonus prize, like a TV, or trip, or prize pack.  Won a jacket (very nice) and a friend of mine won a telephone.  Don't laugh, the phone retailed for $50, (It looks like a Harley, and goes Vroom, vroom when it rings.  Wouldn't you know it, when Hill's dept. store went under I was able to get one for under $20, about what I spent on tickets.  Most of these are $2 tickets.  And always have something worth while.

Almost forgot that I usually buy the bingo type games, when I want to sit down and pass the time.  Played honestly, of course, these take a while and are fun.  [unlike one of my friends who rubs the outside edges to look for the pay out code numbers (numbers inside parentheses in Pa.  Some states have three letters that spell out a prize.  (Md. and Del.) 

Perhaps the best over all game, if I'm going to spend $5, is the Pa.  $5 Bingo.  (odds of 1 in 2.5).  But haven't had much luck lately.  That's why I'm giving them up for lent.  Give the money to other poor people.

So keep your eyes open for bonus games where you live.

United States
              Member #3832
              February 24, 2004
              9 Posts
              Posted: February 25, 2004, 8:10 am - IP Logged

the powerball instant game is great and unique, i would play it if it was in ny, but it's not, it's not even in nj. so the only time i'll be able to play it is when i go go pa. It's interesting that each state has different games for the powerball win.

Harrisburg, Pa.
                United States
                Member #3093
                December 23, 2003
                233 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2004, 8:43 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by MrBlay on February 25, 2004

the powerball instant game is great and unique, i would play it if it was in ny, but it's not, it's not even in nj. so the only time i'll be able to play it is when i go go pa. It's interesting that each state has different games for the powerball win.

Hey Mr. Blay, if you are in Eastern NY, according to the web site , Conneticut is a Instant millionaire State, isn't it?  Check out the page, and plan your trips accordingly, not all powerball states, have the ppwerball scratch game.

But it is good.  Good odds, good payout,. and a chance to go to Vegas. (and be on TV, well its on late out here, so hopefully no one will see me make a fool of myself., ha ha)

United States
                  Member #3680
                  February 11, 2004
                  187 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2004, 7:36 am - IP Logged

I saw where DC is dropping the Instant Millionaire ticket prior to joining Hot Lotto
                  - I hope that's not a requirement for future states.  However, there are a few Hot
                  Lotto states that do both.  Maybe they'll add another state to Instant Millionaire,
                  although it's kind of good for the other states because there's more of a chance
                  to make it to the bonus round on the show with one less state :)

plnwebguy

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2004, 10:48 am - IP Logged

PLN:

Not everyone wants to fly these days.

Columbia,Pa
                      United States
                      Member #3522
                      January 27, 2004
                      372 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2004, 12:13 am - IP Logged

In the state of Pennsylvania the odds is listed on the back of each ticket and posted on the state lottery site. One neat feature on the web site, is they post how many winners are left! It's not real time but updated about once every week, and I guess its better than nothing. The big unknown, is how many total tickets are left. I do feel it does give you a slight edge. As a example, which would you rather play? The one dollar game Rooster Riches with 12 $1000, 15 $100 and 56 $40 left, or the one dollar game Bring Home The Bacon with 158 $1000, 401 $100 and 2,297 $40 left as of March 1, 2004. I carry a list in my wallet which I upgrade once a week of the scratch off games with the most top prizes remaining.  Chas

United States
                        Member #3680
                        February 11, 2004
                        187 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2004, 3:45 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by keystonechas on March 03, 2004

In the state of Pennsylvania the odds is listed on the back of each ticket and posted on the state lottery site. One neat feature on the web site, is they post how many winners are left! It's not real time but updated about once every week, and I guess its better than nothing. The big unknown, is how many total tickets are left. I do feel it does give you a slight edge. As a example, which would you rather play? The one dollar game Rooster Riches with 12 $1000, 15 $100 and 56 $40 left, or the one dollar game Bring Home The Bacon with 158 $1000, 401 $100 and 2,297 $40 left as of March 1, 2004. I carry a list in my wallet which I upgrade once a week of the scratch off games with the most top prizes remaining.  Chas

Chas,

A couple weeks ago I went out to all the state lottery sites and then put up links at my site to the ones that I found that had total tickets left pages at their sites.  I did it at the request of a site visitor at the time but it never sunk in why the person wanted the info until I read your post.  I'm glad you posted what you did - it makes a lot of sense now to me why the info is helpful.

Thanks,

plnwebguy

Harrisburg, Pa.
                          United States
                          Member #3093
                          December 23, 2003
                          233 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2004, 7:19 am - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by keystonechas on March 03, 2004

First , interesting examples, both games were to comemeorate the Farm Show. 

Anyway, my preference is for a lower hit rate.  Also, just like slots, a lower top end prize is a better distribution of all prizes, and a better hit rate.  I've noticed that the lower denomination ($1) tickets have a higher odds (close to 1 in 5) than higher $5 and $10 tickets with lower odds ( 1 in 3.5).  ($2 tickets are slightly higher)There are exceptions:  Most $3 tickets are hotter than $5 tickets, the $2 win for life is higher than most $1 tickets.  [High top prize], and the $5 bingo might be the best of all.  (Almost 50-50).  The $20 Christmas ticket (every one's a winner) is OK, as was the $1 last year's christmas ticket in a $5 pack.  The odds were pretty close of every pack having a winner, but mostly $1 or $2. so what do you really win?  Yeah I know, minimize loss.  Geneally special dvent tickets have slightly better odds and payouts.  (Birthday, Christmas, and other Holdiay (Groundhogs, St. Patty's, Valentines, 4th of July, etc.) 

But good advice to watch for the remaining big prizes.  Always a chance.    Also I try to go for those, (especially the $1 tickets) that have a top prie that can be cashed right away.  I never had the experience, but if I have to fill out a form and wait for a check, well...  but then, that amont of money would be worth it, don't you think?

Also noticed that Pa. odds on instants seem better than neighboring states.  Any thoughts?

Columbia,Pa
                            United States
                            Member #3522
                            January 27, 2004
                            372 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2004, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Pinwebguy,

Glad my post was useful.

I added your site to my Favorites List. It's refreshing to see it filled with useful data and not a bunch of "Here's my predictions good for the whole month, and is accurate for all state lotterys". Where do these people get these numbers? Little red Martians? It's utter nonsense.

Personally I use Gail Howard's wheels and Advantage Plus software to analyze numbers. Her strategy is very simple yet effective. Choose numbers that have the strongest probability of winning. I stay away from the prediction, all month, all lotterys crowd.

Play responsibly and have fun,  Chas 

Columbia,Pa
                              United States
                              Member #3522
                              January 27, 2004
                              372 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2004, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Lotto Czar,

Some comments for you.

By the end of January I stop playing X-mas tickets. The reason? Lots are given as gifts to people who don't play the lottery on a regular bases. They overlook lots of winners and throw them away. A perfect example is my girlfriend. She only plays the lottery when Powerball gets above $100 million, and only then if I remind her. I gave her one of those $20 tickets with a guaranteed prize of $10 at Christmas. She threw it away!

As for claiming The Big One. I'd personelly take the ticket to lottery HQ in Middletown, Pa. I don't trust the post office when millions of dollars are involved. Oh by the way did I mention where my girlfriend works? The post office!!

The odds for Pa scratch offs isn't real bad compared with some states. It isn't rocket science, check the over all odds on the back of the ticket or on the web site along with the prizes remaining.

You mentioned slots a short story I've seen repeated many times.

I go to Delaware Park about once a month to play slots, mostly $5 machines. A few weeks ago their was a sweet little old lady playing the $10 machines, but was'nt winning. She came over and put one cion in a $5 Pay 5 Times machine, and up came one red seven plus two pay 5 times symbols. That made it one red seven pay 25 times, A $7500 winner. What do you think was the first words out of her mouth? "Gee I should have played another coin and won $15,000" Always play the max. In the case of this machines top jackpot prize, three pay 5 times symbols pays $25,000for one coin. For a investment of two $ it pays $50,000

You can't afford $10 a play? Fine, downsize to a machine you can, but alway play the max.

Play responsibly and have fun.  Chas