Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

speeding up my clunker pentium 2

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 13 years ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
langley b.c.
Canada
Member #3313
January 10, 2004
155 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2004, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

i have an older pentium 233mhz i currently am running with lottosync 1.7 any suggestions on how to improve its processing speed using this program

Canada
    Member #2859
    November 23, 2003
    463 Posts
    Posted: March 11, 2004, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Your gunna have to spend some money to upgrade=

Processor

mobo

memory

hard drive

=no way around it

langley b.c.
      Canada
      Member #3313
      January 10, 2004
      155 Posts
      Posted: March 11, 2004, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

yeah i will but not until i get back from hawaii in may my brother is getting married their and its costing me a bundle!!!! when i get married i'am doing it in the backyard!!!! lol!

Canada
        Member #2859
        November 23, 2003
        463 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2004, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

yeah that should cost a alot, at least you'll have good weather )

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2004, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

shut down all non-essential programs, including...

- Web Browsers      - E-mail       - System Performance Monitors

- Anti-Virus programs     - Printer control programs  - MS Office Startup/FastFind

- Idle Taskbar programs like Quicktime Launcher, AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, etc...

IF you run Win2k, you can use the task manager to set process priority to HIGH and also disable non-essential services.

IF Win98, use 'msconfig' in the run dialog box to shut down all startup programs not listed in the startup folder and reboot.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Australia
            Member #3084
            December 22, 2003
            328 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2004, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

I used to run a 200MHz Computer at home upgraded from 100Mhz. I could afford to upgrade but I kept saying to myself I can only type so fast with one finger so why bother. (I have taught myself to use all fingers but I keep going back to one because I'm faster on one.)

Now, since becoming involved in this Lotto thing I regard 3GHz as slow and I do things that run for days at that speed. I'm looking forward to the day when they have 30GHz ah! what the heck 300GHz ones.

Dell have some pretty good deals for around $500 other than that go get yourself a motherboard for around $200 and you'll be speeding with the best.

Regards

Colin

United States
              Member #2460
              October 7, 2003
              766 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2004, 12:09 am - IP Logged

You really can't upgrade your motherboard it's too old.

You need to buy a new motherboard and it would be best if it already has the processor, the heathsink and the cooling fan installed on it, because if you don't install those things right, you will burn-up the processor and they are very expensive.

And that will not be good enough, unless you also get a new and fast hard drive.

You can use the all Pc case if the new motherboard will fit in it, if not you will need to buy a new one, you might have to any-way because the new motherboard might need a new power supply, you have to be sure that the motherboard's jumpers are set right.

If the motherboard has built-in video and audio then you won't have to worry about that, if not then you will have to buy those cards and install them on the motherboard, you might be able to use the same modem card that your Pc has now, if not you will also have to buy a new-one.

If you buy a motherboard instead of a new Pc, then you will also need to buy an operating system for it, either Windows2000 or WinXP, it doesn't make any sense to use Win98SE for a new fast Pc.

Make sure that you have all the hardware drivers that you need or that Win2000 or WinXP can provide them.

There are plenty of tutorials on the net to help you and also many places from where you can buy motherboards and other Pc parts, use Google to find them.

EXCALIBUR is no more that "Handle" is dead, gone.
              Maybe sometime in the future I might come back as LANTERN again, but maybe not, if I don't come back as LANTERN in the future then I won't come back at all, but as I said there is no more EXCALIBUR.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3103 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2004, 1:15 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by lottosyncman on March 11, 2004

i have an older pentium 233mhz i currently am running with lottosync 1.7 any suggestions on how to improve its processing speed using this program

This link goes to Computer Surplus Outlet a good place for used computer parts.

http://www.qksrv.net/click-504226-5835421

If as you say your computer is a P-II it should be a slot-1 motherboard, open the case or manual and see if it shows switch/jumper settings for higher processors.  Many of those old boards could take higher speed slot-1 cpu's and some could be set from 66mhz to 100mhz.

Even if the motherboard must be 66mhz, you can upgrade from the 233 to a Intel Pentium-II 333 better then doubling your speed or to a Celeron 400 with 128k cache which is faster and might be better for what you need.

If the board allows 100mhz, you can upgrade to a P-II 450 usually, would be a big improvement for very little money as most of these old cpu's cost more to ship then to buy. 

If you have a chip square cpu rather then a slot-1, it's likely a Pentium-Plus 233 and that's as high as it goes.  You can buy a P-III 450 for $149.us at the place above, but last week I saw a P-4 2.4 gig celeron at office max for $299.us after rebates, that would be the way to go as it will be ten times faster. BobP
                  luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
                  Member #1687
                  June 16, 2003
                  1047 Posts
                  Posted: March 12, 2004, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

would my pc work the 1.7 sync

it swindow 98 256 k about 4yrs old. any feedback appreciated. also I have loads of programs/files on it would I lose them?? does the pc have to be empty??

some of u said u had old models what is considered old??

and if old does it still work.?

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3103 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2004, 8:37 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by luckycat on March 12, 2004

would my pc work the 1.7 sync

it swindow 98 256 k about 4yrs old. any feedback appreciated. also I have loads of programs/files on it would I lose them?? does the pc have to be empty??

some of u said u had old models what is considered old??

and if old does it still work.?

At four years old it is likely your computer is under one gigahertz in speed, could be anything from a P-III 450 to an 800, depending on what you spend on it unless it was some kind of clearence of older 98 or 99 computers in which case it could be a P-II.  In any regard, they all run Lottosync, the problem is how long it takes to finish as now the software has to completely finish before you get any numbers to play.  Before you could always stop and play what you had so far.  An older machine can take several days to run off even the smallest number of samples to finish.  If you bought a better computer you would likely have to pay them to feed what's in the old to the new if you wanted to keep everything you had so far and some of that might conflict with the higher windows opperating system.  Better you kept the old computer complete in a spare room until you stopped needing the stuff on it any more.  If it matters, running a computer for days at a time can have a noticeable effect on your electric bill.  BobP