Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:29 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if you hit the jackpot!

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 13 years ago by OpenMinded.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: March 23, 2004, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

1) Week 1 = I would take long walks alone pondering about the future. Keeping this a secret, not even telling my family. Praying.

2) week 2 = Assemble my dream team. Lawyer, accountant.

3) Week 3 = Look at some real estate and Sign a binder for a high rise condo.

4) Week 4 = Tell my wife we won and Go Collect our Jackpot. lol

Now the hard part. Winning the Jackpot! LOL

Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
    Harrisburg, Pa.
    United States
    Member #3093
    December 23, 2003
    233 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2004, 8:03 am - IP Logged

Same here.  Good strategy.

Lottery_Analyst's avatar - Batman
      Georgia
      United States
      Member #1039
      January 15, 2003
      260 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2004, 8:49 am - IP Logged

Jackpot Wanna,

Sounds like a great plan, I would just add to change your phone number to an unlisted number.  Most, if not all lotteries are required to release your full name so everyone and there uncle will be calling you up and asking for money.

Good Luck...

John

LA

United States
        Member #4121
        March 23, 2004
        817 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2004, 9:15 am - IP Logged

Hey John,

Thanks for the advice. Get a unlisted number sounds great. Securty concerns really bother me. If I win, I will be looking over my shoulder every second. Moving to a nice neigborhood as soon as I get my money.

btw I optied for the cash over the 26 payment thingy. I read about the tax problems if I die before the final payment.

Buying nice real estate buildings for additional cash flow. 40%

Helping people. 20%

In Saving and Checking accounts. 15%

Family and friends. 10%

Stocks. 10%

High Yield Bonds. 5%

whodeani's avatar - lightening

United States
          Member #2484
          October 9, 2003
          212 Posts
          Posted: March 24, 2004, 10:41 am - IP Logged

JackpotWanna mentioned getting a dream team. That is exactly what I would get. I would want a high profile lawyer, accountant, and tax attorney etc. I would want those who are well established and who would have a lot to lose if they tried to pull a fast one. If they did they did pull a fast one, they would get a lot of bad PR by screwing over a jackpot winner.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2450 Posts
            Posted: March 24, 2004, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

If I ever do win, the first thing I will do is type the exact amount won into my excel spreadsheet set up for it, it breaks down everything... I would take the cash rather than annuity, and a percentage would be set aside to draw from as an annual "income"... to my own checking account, until then, it would remain in the protection of a personal property trust.

I have the plan, just need the numbers...

my quick plan....

1) Quit Smoking!

2) Create the trust with one attorney

3) Have it pored over by another to be sure it's iron-clad and reflects my wishes to the letter... and is enforceable

4) Shop around for "Dream Team" players... including a high profile firm to actually turn in the ticket (signed with the trust's name and my own address (a P.O. box just for that purpose) to make the ticket no longer "hot" )

5) wait the 6 to 8 weeks for verification and payment... in the mean time, open up several accounts in the name of the trust at as many different financial institutions as I can (up to 20, getting a guaranteed 2 million worth of FDIC insurance).

6) immediately pay the taxes owed from the difference of their 27% withholding and the 35% you actually owe... once I have an after-tax figure and access to the funds, that's when the fun begins...

7) Tell immediate family...

8) Pay off every debt, Find a nice estate with alot of land, buy the Mrs. some horses ;-)...

9) move quietly with no forwarding info, return to help out family...

10) set up trust funds for the kids to begin at age 21.  Tie full payment to the pursuit and attainment of a bachelor's degree... wath them enjoy financial freedom NOW rather than after we're gone...

11) for me... flight lessons, Private pilot thru Commercial cetificate, with single engine seaplane rating... Also, go to college for Aeronautical Engineering... Eventually buy the seaplane in my avatar and design others...

12) to be determined, but most likely involves an italian exotic sportscar and a full course at a high performance driving school ;-)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: March 24, 2004, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Wow! Now thats a plan! You are not going to claim the prize yourself. How much will the lawyer charge for claiming your prize? $100,000 or a percentage? Your family is going to tell everyone. The media will find out sooner or later. Anyway great plan.   

Dowser's avatar - pendule

United States
                Member #947
                December 24, 2002
                95 Posts
                Posted: March 24, 2004, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

I would get my own TV show.

It will be called:

"People Who Can Kiss My Rich A$$"

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #491
                  July 16, 2002
                  837 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2004, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

You could stop smoking now, and get a head start on your list. By the way, lawyers usually charge by the hour, if you have money, and charge a contingency fee if you don't have money.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

United States
                    Member #4121
                    March 23, 2004
                    817 Posts
                    Posted: March 25, 2004, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

hmmmmmmm So can I hire the lawyer for just that hour to claim my prize.   $500 should be good?

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                      CA
                      United States
                      Member #2987
                      December 10, 2003
                      832 Posts
                      Posted: March 25, 2004, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmmm..... Let's see.....

I'd spend 25% on gambling, 25% on booze, 25% on women - the rest I'd just squander..... <g>

gl

john

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #3457
                        January 22, 2004
                        248 Posts
                        Posted: March 25, 2004, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

After stabilizing my investments and collecting a salary that was a reasonable fraction of their return, I would spend as much time doing research in things I really care about.

Almost all of this would be centered on my main passion:  Environmental work.  I'd probably get a few extra formal degrees, the first being in nuclear engineering.

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
                          NJ
                          United States
                          Member #1924
                          July 28, 2003
                          113 Posts
                          Posted: March 25, 2004, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

I would certainly clear my debts and then invest so that I could receive a steady income. Then I would enjoy life within reason.

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
                            NJ
                            United States
                            Member #1924
                            July 28, 2003
                            113 Posts
                            Posted: March 25, 2004, 8:17 pm - IP Logged
                            Quote: Originally posted by JackpotWanna on March 24, 2004

1) Week 1 = I would take long walks alone pondering about the future. Keeping this a secret, not even telling my family. Praying.

2) week 2 = Assemble my dream team. Lawyer, accountant.

3) Week 3 = Look at some real estate and Sign a binder for a high rise condo.

4) Week 4 = Tell my wife we won and Go Collect our Jackpot. lol

Now the hard part. Winning the Jackpot! LOL

On number 4 I would go back to 1 and 2 to figure out how not to spill the beans..rofl
                              Charlotte
                              United States
                              Member #3733
                              February 16, 2004
                              153 Posts
                              Posted: March 26, 2004, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

First, I'd pass out.

The night that I see my numbers come up, I would drive to the city where Lottery Headquarters is located and get a hotel.

The next morning, I'd be waiting on the steps until their doors opened.

Then I would tell my immediate family to "camp up" - Pack your bags and get ready to roll.

I would pay off my student loan and mortgage.

Rent the place and by something much nicer somewhere elsed.

I'd adopt a couple of kids or so - don't have any of my own yet.

Give some to the humane society

And buy whatever I want for the rest of my life, still spending with a focused head

Oh yeah, I'd quit my job.  This should have been first.

Getting Closer-

OpenMinded