Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Compulsive gambling.

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 13 years ago by golotto.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Should states do more to try and reduce compulsive gambling?

Yes. They are not doing enough concerning it. [ 5 ]  [45.45%]
No. They are going a good enough job. [ 6 ]  [54.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: March 26, 2004, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

This is kind of a serious issue to lottery players, so i figured i'd see what everyone else thought of the issue.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23260 Posts
    Posted: March 26, 2004, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

IMHO they are doing enough or too much already.  I'd much rather have all the money spent on those programs put to better use (or preferrably given back to us in the form of a tax cut).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3102 Posts
      Posted: March 26, 2004, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

First of all I don't consider playing the lottery to be gambling unless we view almost everything as a form of risk taking. 

There is a percentage of the population that has a problem with almost everything, this should not change things for the rest of us as a society cannot be built around protecting everyone from their personal demons.

However, I do think industry that reaches out to us including people who can't handle it, have some obligation to help those who can't resist the sirens song especially if reaping huge profits under state license. 

By "help"  I mean not allowing excessive play, not providing credit, blocking players at the request of family upon proof of addiction, etc. and contributions to agencies that help, but not welfare for social counsolers who tell you it isn't your fault because it's a disease nonsense. 

Ask better questions you'll get better answers. BobP

Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1610
        June 3, 2003
        668 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2004, 2:09 am - IP Logged

I agree. I've never considered my lottery participation as gambling but rather an interest in numbers. The term gambling has really never crossed my mind. I suppose one could get hooked on many different things in life such as caffeine, coffee, soda, sitcoms ...almost anything can become addictive in extreme excess. But as far as the lottery is concerned, I play for fun and and continue to enjoy every aspect of Powerball, Megabucks, and the other games I occasionally try. I usually stick to a pre-planned budget. One of the main reasons I like the lottery (other than the fun of studying and choosing the numbers) is the fact that the lottery is always true to it's players. In other words - we all know the odds to the various games when we go in and if you happen to match the required numbers and have a valid ticket - you win the prize plain and simple. You gotta be in it to win it and if you 'land on free parking' and do hit ...the numbers tell it all. There is no gray area in this game. That's why I love the lottery.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!