Welcome Guest
You last visited October 21, 2017, 10:10 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

just curious

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 14 years ago by matrixchick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
EU
Estonia
Member #4217
April 1, 2004
25 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2004, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Q: How can I reduce the taxes on a major lottery prize?

A:

While we cannot advise players on taxes or the use of their individual prizes, we suggest you contact an attorney, tax preparer, the Internal Revenue Service (1-800-424-1040), or your state Department of Revenue.  As always, a good financial plan will always make your money go further.

And there is my question: what can a good lawer do? As much as I know, Uncle Sam gets he`s 25% cut + you have to pay your state tax? Ok,  financial adviser may "play" with your other taxes (real estate, income etc.) But if you will win $100M is this "penny" worth of paying huge attorney bills?

Basicly, how and how much could financial adviser reduce income tax for big jackpot?

plnwebguy's avatar - binary

United States
    Member #3680
    February 11, 2004
    187 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2004, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Financial advisors can't do much to reduce current taxes, but they could help you reduce future taxes.  Some investments are tax deferred and that's probably what they would mainly help out with.  How much help would depend on the investments.   A good lawyer would help out with the legalities of the investments, as well as foundations or charities one wants to set up.  Plus they would help protect your money when someone decides to sue you over something. 

plnwebguy

United States
      Member #4244
      April 4, 2004
      3 Posts
      Posted: April 4, 2004, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Here's the thing that I keep wondering. A lot of powerball winners say they have hired financial advisors/planners and before claiming the ticket. What do these people do? Call financial planners and ask them what they should do with 50 million in cash? Seriously... how would you even begin to decide if you don't have a planner or advisor? Some of these winners were living pretty averagely before they won, so you know they probably didn't have advisors/planners.

As far as lawyers, I think a tax attorney might be a good choice. They could probably shield you from some of the taxes.