Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Number Systems and statistics.

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 13 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you use any number system, or study previous numbers to determine your picks?

Yes. [ 45 ]  [80.36%]
No. [ 3 ]  [5.36%]
Sometimes. [ 8 ]  [14.29%]
Total Valid Votes [ 56 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 10 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: April 3, 2004, 1:44 am - IP Logged

please take this poll, and post your reasoning for your vote.

United States
    Member #1759
    June 29, 2003
    1156 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2004, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Besides quick-picks and lucky numbers which you don't have any control over whether they hit or not selecting your numbers intelligently can help increase your chances of winning plus it's an alternative method to use if the first 2 I mentioned don't work for you.Selecting your own numbers using a system or past draw history puts you in control of what numbers you feel have a good chance of being drawn.The other methods do not your basically leaving it to chance whether you hit or not which may not be on your side that day.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3104 Posts
      Posted: April 3, 2004, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Any real world data going into the decision has to be more useful then a system based on; no idea what-so-ever.  BobP

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: April 5, 2004, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

all you have are previous numbers... may as well use 'em to your advantage.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

United States
          Member #1759
          June 29, 2003
          1156 Posts
          Posted: April 5, 2004, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Exactly if not then your just guessing what numbers to play and that's pretty much a LOSING strategy.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
            San Angelo, Texas
            United States
            Member #1097
            January 31, 2003
            1394 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2004, 8:32 am - IP Logged

Knowing when and where the numbers came up in previous draws is the only way to make an informed guess on what could happen next. When you are up against 3 drawing machines, 4-6 balls sets and not knowing which will be used next makes the guess work interesting. Face it, the lottery has many weapons and they use them effectively. Best approach is to log the data in different ways and then try to take advantage of the mostly non-repetitive drawings, keeping in mind that the numbers that have not come for the longest period of time are not likely to come up in the next drawing. Chances are that one of the numbers from the last draw will repeat.  The remaining numbers will be somewhere in the middle of whatever number list one uses to guide the guesswork. Take the 4/06 Mega Millions drawing. How many folks really thought 8 and 17 would repeat? I didn't! However, I did guess that there would be two numbers from the 30s list!

Australia
              Member #3084
              December 22, 2003
              328 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2004, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Dear Doc

At last one of your Polls has struck a chord!

I think it is possible to teach a parrot or a monkey to play Lotto by Quick Picks etc. To use some intelligence in the selection process is only possible from humans and why not use it.

However, we must recognise that a good RNG is a formidable adversary and never lose sight of the fact that we must do better if not at least equal to Mr/Mrs/Ms RNG to claim any merit.

Regards

Colin F

Texas
                United States
                Member #1477
                May 7, 2003
                2311 Posts
                Posted: April 26, 2004, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

The only way to made an intelligent "guess" is to use past results in order to make such determination.  It's called.....an "educated" guess.  Anything otherwise is pulling numbers out of thin air and if you do that you might as well stick to Quick Picks.

wiseone2's avatar - moon
                  iowa, illinois
                  United States
                  Member #4477
                  April 27, 2004
                  40 Posts
                  Posted: April 28, 2004, 2:05 am - IP Logged

i only check previous numbers i've played and also previous numbers drawn as winners to avoid playing a number that was ever drawn.  fact is, megamillions has over 135,000,000 number combinations and the game only has to draw 104 of those per year.  the last powerball drawing for $103 million sold around 20 million tickets.  powerball has approx. 120,000,000 number combinations.  assuming every ticket sold had different numbers (which is not likely), there would be 100,000,000 millions numbers left unplayed, including previously drawn numbers.  i really don't think there is anything anyone can do win a big lottery jackpot, regardless of how you choose your numbers.  if you choose a quick pick, then you just have to be in the right place at the right time.  if you choose your numbers, then you just have to be very, very lucky to pick the right combination out of the potential hundreds of millions.  the bad thing is that i believe the lottery computer system controls the number of winners and determines generally where the winning quick picks will be sold.  the most recent powerball drawing produced (5) $100,000 winners in tennessee ( the newest state to join and their first drawing).  pennsylvania was the top state in sales, 30,000 more than tennessee, and had 2 $100,000 winners.  only a couple other states had even one $100,000 winner.  i've been doing quite a bit of personal research on the lottery and will disclose more of my conclusions later.....

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                    Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2741 Posts
                    Posted: April 28, 2004, 4:56 am - IP Logged

you state a good point, but if each state controlled the number of winners, and which prizes they won, wouldn't Colorado either have a jackpot winner, or drop out of the game due to the fact that they have yet to sell a jackpot winner?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                      Member #4416
                      April 22, 2004
                      1075 Posts
                      Posted: April 28, 2004, 5:45 am - IP Logged

The balls have no memory. The possible number outcomes for any jackpot game range far into the millions. Past draws only show only a few hundred of those possibilities. That's hardly enough to be representative. Relying on past draws to determine number selections is like eating a small piece of lettuce from a salad and then trying to guess what will be served in the remainder of a full-course meal. The information afforded by previous draws is more misleading than helpful. Number systems (progressions, generated sequences, guesses, QP's, etc.) are interesting to play with, but offer no certain advantage.  Any method can generate some degree of success if applied long enough. The bottom line is that the lotteries are a straight-up gamble. All of our analyses and methodology are simply things we use to make ourselves feel as though we have at least some degree of insight and control. It's simply a game of chance, but I do have fun preparing for my chance to win...LOL. May I see a show of hands from all the jackpot winners here?

Texas
                        United States
                        Member #1477
                        May 7, 2003
                        2311 Posts
                        Posted: April 28, 2004, 9:50 am - IP Logged

I dont play the Lotto....only the Pick 3 and yes...you can track numbers.  There is enough information and methods that it is possible to make an "educated guess" that will increase your chances to hit the EXACT in that game.

I have a method to produce the EXACT straight and software to do it with.  Just need to conquer the "final element" in the idea and it will produce no more then 5 or less (often times only 1) possible EXACT combination to play.

This same software can be adapted to be used to play the Lotto as well.

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
                          chicago ill.
                          United States
                          Member #3600
                          February 4, 2004
                          337 Posts
                          Posted: April 28, 2004, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Any method can generate some measure of success if applied long enough..is a very true enough statement as i have had my own successes because i had stuck to my method of tracking and picking numbers...but it takes TIME if you have the patience for it not to mention the money it takes...you don't win every day but one day is all it takes to take home the loot and it will make up for all the days that you did not win. The little lotto in illinois may not seem like a lot of money but once it is in your hands...there isn't anything that anyone can say except that they wish that it was them that had won. I myself had hit the little lotto jackpot twice  four years ago and have smaller payouts ever since but I know that given more time that I will win again. and again and again....  good fortune to all.

wiseone2's avatar - moon
                            iowa, illinois
                            United States
                            Member #4477
                            April 27, 2004
                            40 Posts
                            Posted: April 28, 2004, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe it's the individual member states that control the number of winners in their state.  All member states are part of a single lottery network.  The central computer makes all of the decisions regarding winners and where they are sold.  The software is programmed to make the necessary calculations, etc., and then sends out the quick picks accordingly.  I believe the system can be "programmed" to send out a specified number of winners and any location in the network.  Second tier prizes on down are distributed for every drawing.  The lottery must have "winners" in order to keep players playing.  As long as there are winners (not necessarily jackpot winners), people will believe they have a chance of winning--which is what the lotteries want you to believe.  I believe jackpots are treated differently.  Most people would think the jackpots would go to the locations with the highest sales or greater populations.  Past jackput drawing results have shown that the opposite is the pattern....jackpot winning tickets are being sold in smaller rural communities and suburbs....usually with a population of less than 5,000.  This is done to prove that "anyone, anywhere" can win.  Colorado will dventually get a jackpot winner as well as any other participating state, just so the lottery can keep everyone happy and keep everyone believing that can win.  Don't count on the winning jackpot ticket in Colorado being sold in Denver, however, lol. 

whodeani's avatar - lightening

United States
                              Member #2484
                              October 9, 2003
                              212 Posts
                              Posted: May 5, 2004, 8:23 am - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by wiseone2 on April 28, 2004

I don't believe it's the individual member states that control the number of winners in their state.  All member states are part of a single lottery network.  The central computer makes all of the decisions regarding winners and where they are sold.  The software is programmed to make the necessary calculations, etc., and then sends out the quick picks accordingly.  I believe the system can be "programmed" to send out a specified number of winners and any location in the network.  Second tier prizes on down are distributed for every drawing.  The lottery must have "winners" in order to keep players playing.  As long as there are winners (not necessarily jackpot winners), people will believe they have a chance of winning--which is what the lotteries want you to believe.  I believe jackpots are treated differently.  Most people would think the jackpots would go to the locations with the highest sales or greater populations.  Past jackput drawing results have shown that the opposite is the pattern....jackpot winning tickets are being sold in smaller rural communities and suburbs....usually with a population of less than 5,000.  This is done to prove that "anyone, anywhere" can win.  Colorado will dventually get a jackpot winner as well as any other participating state, just so the lottery can keep everyone happy and keep everyone believing that can win.  Don't count on the winning jackpot ticket in Colorado being sold in Denver, however, lol. 

Come on, you can't be serious about this. If you really believe that the central mainframe is deciding how many winners there will be and where they are bought, then you also have to be believe that the mainframe hooked right up to the ball machine when the numbers are drawn and the mainframe is telling what the ball machine what numbers to draw. How else would the mainframe know what numbers to pick for someone and how many times that set of numbers should be sold? The mainframe doesn't know what numbers will be winners. If this sort of thing was going on, this would be considered a huge scandal and I don't think the public would be very happy about it and lottery commissions would not risk doing something like this.