Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do with the ticket itself?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 13 years ago by prob987.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #3457
January 22, 2004
248 Posts
Posted: April 3, 2004, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I've always thought that if I won the lottery, I'd be extremely nervous just holding the ticket, thinking where I should keep it.  I'd feel like I wouldn't want to let it out of my sight, but I'm guessing the safest, least paranoid thing, would simply to put it in a safe deposit box in a bank.

What would you do? 

Also several people have recently waited some time to cash their ticket, including the $239 MM winners.  How long would you wait?

plnwebguy's avatar - binary

United States
    Member #3680
    February 11, 2004
    187 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2004, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

I thought it was interesting that the guy who won the $239m MM jackpot put his ticket in his brother-in-laws safe while they talked to lawyers and financial planners - http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2480767.  Personally, I think I would secretly put it in a safe deposit box, consult some lawyers and financial planners, but claim it within a week or two instead of waiting a while, mainly because I'd rather have the money and start earning interest off of it and mainly live off the interest.

plnwebguy

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: April 4, 2004, 5:38 am - IP Logged

definitely a safe deposit box! Along with several copies...

I would also fill out the address and the name of the trust I plan to use, this would keep it from being a "HOT" ticket anymore... There are no restrictions as to what you can call your trust... and even if something else has the same name, it won't have the same address ;-) , the thing that puzzles me is when they use the family's name in a trust ... doesn't that defeat the purpose (anonymity)?

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

United States
        Member #4244
        April 4, 2004
        3 Posts
        Posted: April 4, 2004, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

Safety deposit box seems the smartest.  I just can't imagine walking around with the thing. I'd probably want to turn it in right away because you have time to decide if you want cash or annuity. I'd then start looking for a good financial planner or advisor. Geez, which one is better?

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #3457
          January 22, 2004
          248 Posts
          Posted: April 4, 2004, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure I'd spend at least one day staring at the ticket.

I'd probably take a few weeks to get my affairs in order, and cash the ticket as soon as possible, and arrange a way to get out of town with the wife and kids.