Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pwerball is the same in all states?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 13 years ago by hypersoniq.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
new york
United States
Member #1454
May 3, 2003
355 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2004, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

I usally don't play jackpot games, just stick to pick3 & pick 4 daily numbers.  Powerball is the same game, played in all states? or does each state have it's own powerball game???

Texas
    United States
    Member #4382
    April 18, 2004
    278 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2004, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

No your right it's all the same powerball game .

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2004, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

yes, unlike mega millions, which only has the megaplier in one state.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2004, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

The game is the same, but each state have their own cards design.  I was just getting ready to fill out some cards in case I go to Indiana tomorrow when I noticed the cards looked a little different than the last time I played, each number was moved left one space.  On a closer look, I notice the cards were from West Virgina, I must have pick up a few when I was visiting in that state.  If you play when you travel and you like to pick your own numbers, make sure you are using the cards of the state where you plan to play.

RJOh 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Columbia,Pa
          United States
          Member #3522
          January 27, 2004
          372 Posts
          Posted: April 24, 2004, 5:07 am - IP Logged

If you get a winning Powerball ticket you must redeem it in the same state you purchased it.

Also beware you may be setting yourself up for a big fat state income tax bill if you purchase tickets in another state. Check your local state tax laws carefully.

In Pennsylvania there is no state income tax on gambling winnings. The problem is most people don't read the fine print. There is no state income tax on winnings of Pa Lottery and Horse Racing. ( The only legal gambling we have within the state)

The bottom line is you pay tax if the winnings come from another state!

Friday I was in Delaware and I would never think of purchasing a Powerball ticket there. I wait till I return to Pa. due to the tax laws. Check your local income tax laws, you may be surprised on what you'll fine.

Chas

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2450 Posts
            Posted: April 24, 2004, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

yes, the PA lottery is free of state and local taxes.... for PA residents.

I don't know, Delaware is still the only state allowing you to claim anonymously with out needing to set up a trust or LLC... If I were through there I'd buy one ;-)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.