Welcome Guest
You last visited September 20, 2017, 9:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Software to translate

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 13 years ago by filos.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Genova
Italy
Member #4590
May 6, 2004
13 Posts
Posted: May 6, 2004, 4:14 am - IP Logged

Hi to everybody. 

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
    Tx
    United States
    Member #4570
    May 4, 2004
    5180 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2004, 8:23 am - IP Logged

Why don't you put the italian text here on a post if you can or a series of posts of what you want translated and this way anybody who can translate it can help you, if for some reason you can't post the Italian text here, that is if you have trouble, then talk to TODD he can help you, you can send (e-mail) the italian text to him and he can post it for you.

Buena suerte amigo.

Genova
      Italy
      Member #4590
      May 6, 2004
      13 Posts
      Posted: May 7, 2004, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Hi Lanter, 
      the problem is that the software is very great and there are around 6000 lines (between messages and windows) to translate. 
      But another problem is that many technical " terms " used in Italy are not referenced in many languages. 

However I thank you for your answer. 

Ciao !

Tx
        United States
        Member #4570
        May 4, 2004
        5180 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2004, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Filos

6,000 is just way too many, you are going to have a very hard time finding anybody to translate them and then as you say there are also technical terms.

There is translation software, but it might not be good enough to do the job, sorry.

Auf wiedersehen.

Ciao!

IF you want to know about translation software or services let me know.

Australia
          Member #3084
          December 22, 2003
          328 Posts
          Posted: May 8, 2004, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Filos

I came across this newsgroup it.hobby.lotto and they were definitely not going Mediterranean over shoes.

Regards

Colin

San Diego
            United States
            Member #4520
            May 1, 2004
            243 Posts
            Posted: May 8, 2004, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Usually this task is called "software localization" and involves many facets:

1. Translating the software itself. This includes prompts, screen titles, field labels, error messages, etc.

2. Translating any manuals, documentation, online help.

3. Translation software does not work, since the literal strings are dmbedded in the code and the code comprises 95% of the text. Translating languages expect grammatical text, not words here and there.

4. It is necessary to be able to recompile code after it is translated so see how the labels align. Messages become shorter or longer. So you have to have at least rudimentary progamming experience to be able to do this..

5. Depending on how well the code is written, this can get very tricky. If error messages are dmbedded in the code, rather than taken out into language modules or string files, it's even harder and more time consuming. You have to read every line of code.

6. Translating the code is generally impossible without running the program side by side, because you the code does not reveal the context and you can't tell what's going on.

7. The project is largely sized by the language it is written in, and the quality of the code. If the designers wrote it with the goal in mind to use multiple languages it helps a great deal. If they have not, it can be ugly to impossible. 

8. There are localization firms that do this but even for a small project they will quote in the $20,000 range and up.

Sounds like filos is doing this for some Italian company and he just needs help with it, rather than having somebody do it.

This is definitely not the place to look for help for this. Lottery enthusiast forums are not the place where you find linguists and programmers per se. I would search for a forum specializing in just localization. You don't have to know anything about the lottery to do this. 

And no, nobody is going to do that much work to get the license to use a program. It's much  cheaper to buy the program.

Genova
              Italy
              Member #4590
              May 6, 2004
              13 Posts
              Posted: May 8, 2004, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

For Colin F.: 
              unfortunately it.hobby.lotto is the wrong way to speak of lottery in Italy. 

For Lanter: 
              I have already translated the program with a software of professional translation. 
              The problem, over the not perfect translations, are in the technical terms. 

For Dragon: 
              the software is already "located" and obviously it works with source files of languages. 
              The help that I look for is from someone that of time in time can tell me what message is not correct (considering that the used procedures are around 600 [Italian lottery, the whole world lottery, gambling on line, roulette and to brief bets]). The 6000 lines of which I spoke above are really the content of the file of the language.

Thanks however for the attention.

Ciao!

San Diego
                United States
                Member #4520
                May 1, 2004
                243 Posts
                Posted: May 8, 2004, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Now I get it. The software is already translated, but it will sound like it was translated by an Italian.

I can see why :)

Australia
                  Member #3084
                  December 22, 2003
                  328 Posts
                  Posted: May 8, 2004, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Dragon

That's what I call a quality contribution.

Welcome to LotteryPost

Regards

Colin

Australia
                    Member #3084
                    December 22, 2003
                    328 Posts
                    Posted: May 8, 2004, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Woops

I meant it genuinely and was referring to the long one not the short one which I hadn't noticed.

Regards

Colin

San Diego
                      United States
                      Member #4520
                      May 1, 2004
                      243 Posts
                      Posted: May 8, 2004, 8:21 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by Colin F on May 08, 2004

Woops

I meant it genuinely and was referring to the long one not the short one which I hadn't noticed.

Regards

Colin

Thanks for clarifying,  because I thought you were referring to my tongue in cheek response on the bottom and I couldn't tell if you were facetious.
                        Tx
                        United States
                        Member #4570
                        May 4, 2004
                        5180 Posts
                        Posted: May 8, 2004, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Filos

You said that the program has already been translated to english and other languages, which or what other languages

has it been translated into, besides english?

Our mastery of english and or any other language at least in my particular case, is very limited and leaves a lot to be desired as you can very well see, but even so, maybe some of us can still help you some, or a little, I have been away from Mexico for a very long long time, so I have forgotten a lot of the spanish that I once knew so well, but perhaps I can still help some with it and maybe even with the english translation at least some, after all, the text is already translated into english and maybe spanish and you just need somebody to help a little with some of the words, mistakes and technical terms. Right?

So if you think that I can be of any help with the spanish and or english translations, let me know and I will give you my e-mail address.

Bye.

Genova
                          Italy
                          Member #4590
                          May 6, 2004
                          13 Posts
                          Posted: May 9, 2004, 7:07 am - IP Logged

Ok, any problem. 
                          Who wants he can send me a mail to which I will answer with the links to download the software (around 40 Mb.) 

Naturally I will be to disposition for the relative helps on the software. 

Regards.

Tx
                            United States
                            Member #4570
                            May 4, 2004
                            5180 Posts
                            Posted: May 9, 2004, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I think that he says, that the software has already been translated into all the languages that he wanted it translated into and that he just needs help proofreading it.

So, if you know english well, then you can correct the english translation if it has any mistakes.

Those who know other languages, can amend other translations.

Also, I think that he said, "O.K, no problem.

Whoever wants, he or she can send to me an e-mail, to which I will answer with the links to download the software (around 40 Mb).

Naturally, I will be grateful for the relative help on the software.

Regards.

Tx
                              United States
                              Member #4570
                              May 4, 2004
                              5180 Posts
                              Posted: May 9, 2004, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

filos

I could not translate, but editing an already translated text might be easier, after all, you just want the translated text understood, if so, then it doesn't have to be a perfect translation, so long as the meaning is fairly well understood.

Right?

I have a very slow telephone modem connection and your file is quite large, also 6,000 text lines are a lot of text to check, for those of us that are not used to do this.

I have to think about this.

Anyhow, I hope that you get the help that you need, either here or somewhere else, I might try to help with the english and or the spanish translation, I don't know

yet.

We'll see.

Bye.