Welcome Guest
You last visited August 18, 2017, 7:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if someone asks you if you won??

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 13 years ago by heal3r.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you had a winning ticket and someone asked if you won, would you tell them or lie?

I would be honest and tell them that I won. [ 8 ]  [19.05%]
I would lie and tell them that I didn't win. [ 22 ]  [52.38%]
I would try to change the subject. [ 12 ]  [28.57%]
Total Valid Votes [ 42 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Fwup's avatar - babylaugh 086.gif

United States
Member #3654
February 9, 2004
70 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2004, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Why would you not tell anyone? Especially your family. I'm sure I wouldn't walk around with a sign around my neck that says "I'm a lottery millionaire", But I certainly wouldn't try to hide it.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3157 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2004, 2:03 am - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by Fwup on May 26, 2004

Why would you not tell anyone? Especially your family. I'm sure I wouldn't walk around with a sign around my neck that says "I'm a lottery millionaire", But I certainly wouldn't try to hide it.

There's two parts to the question, whether you tell before you've cashed in the winning ticket, and who you tell afterwards.

Don't know what you're family is like, but for some it could be a real security nightmare.  You only tell the wife who only tells her best friend who only tells her husband who mentions it at the poker game downtown and that night people are climbing through your windows looking for the ticket.

After the ticket is securely cashed and the money banked, maybe there is a risk of kidnapping or you just don't care to fend off salesmen selling everything a new millionare couldn't do without.  What about the relative you've been pleading poverty to for every failed crackpot investment scheme he's come up with so far?  Maybe the daughter and out of work live in boyfriend would want to come stay with you . . . forever.  etc. BobP

twisted's avatar - underground
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #2376
      September 25, 2003
      582 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2004, 2:22 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by Thomas Covenant on May 25, 2004

I would lie as long as I could, however, if I was trying to "pick up" a lovely lady...well, let's just say that's a different story.

I would be very careful with the ladies you "pick up" once they know you are a lottery winner.  Make sure to get a prenup.

United States
        Member #674
        September 4, 2002
        50 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2004, 8:39 am - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by BobP on May 25, 2004

Troublesome relations/family? Consider putting a million in a bank account in all their names and giving them each a check book, see how long it lasts.  BobP

I *really* like this idea. They would tear each other to pieces.

Where n is equal to the number of tickets bought, the odds of winning in the MegaMillions lottery is given by 1 - [(1 - 0.023399196957)^n]

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #491
          July 16, 2002
          837 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2004, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Pre-nup? Who said anything about marriage?

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

percygrinder's avatar - bob

Bahamas
            Member #4787
            May 24, 2004
            1742 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2004, 11:57 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't tell anyone ca

Johannesburg
              South Africa
              Member #4640
              May 12, 2004
              178 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2004, 6:48 am - IP Logged

I will definitely share my thoughts with my love.Only one................................

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                Albuquerque, New Mexico
                United States
                Member #5128
                June 18, 2004
                377 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2004, 12:00 am - IP Logged

Yeap, I am the one, dphillips, who is obsessed with privacy. Of course, I would lie and tell people (other than this post) that I did not win the lottery.  Frankly speaking, it is none of their business, anyway!  Here are some answers (if you must talk to those losers) you might want to consider:

1.  You sued years ago and have won the lawsuit! 

2.  A rich aunt/uncle left you a windfall in their will and you are speechless!

3.  You made profitable stock investments: Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Proctor & Gamble, or oil investments.  Believe me, people have become rich (over a period of 10 or more years). 

4.  Your bank made an error in your favor.  Hey, finder's keepers; loser's weepers!

Greensboro, North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #1616
                  June 5, 2003
                  1305 Posts
                  Posted: June 20, 2004, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Hey, I have plenty of real fri

US Flag

Tx_Mega_Player's avatar - spider
                    BIG D Texas
                    United States
                    Member #2539
                    October 16, 2003
                    148 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2004, 2:16 am - IP Logged

I would only lie until I turned in the ticket. I would continue going to work as usual, and meet with my attorney after work. I would hold the ticket for about 2 ot 3 weeks while I put my affairs in order, and then one Friday I would call in sick and drive to the lottery headquarters. My friends, family, and co-workers wouldn't know a thing until they saw me on the news that Friday night. No need to lie after that, not has long has the word "NO!!!!" is still part of the English language. There is a select group of people that I would help, and I already have plans of that. Everyone else gets a NO!!! I would also still continue to work for another 4 to 6 weeks in order to allow for a smooth transition for the person that takes over my responsibilities. Afterall, I have worked just about continuously since I was 16, so what is another 4 weeks going to hurt.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2004, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Same with me.

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        701 Posts
                        Posted: July 15, 2004, 9:39 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't tell anyone at all.  If it were a huge, Powerball style jackpot, I'd probably pack up and move someplace where nobody knows me.  When you win, people come out of the woodwork wanting money.  Also, with everyone around knowing you have the money, it's hard to know who your real friends are.  I'd probably even go the extra mile and title property and put utilities in other names, to make myself harder to find. 

Although I have never won a jackpot(the best I've ever won is $100 as a home player on Powerball Instant Millionaire), I did experience something similar when I was growing up, i.e. having something everyone else wanted, which influences my view.  I tried to keep it secret because I wanted real friends, not people after something we had.  My parents wanted me to use it to make friends and would sometimes try to get the word around school we had it and when that happened, I stopped trying to make friends because I didn't know who I could trust to be a real friend(assuming there is such a thing).

PrisonerSix

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

MetroPlex's avatar - 619631
                          Richmond, VA
                          United States
                          Member #5360
                          July 1, 2004
                          93 Posts
                          Posted: July 15, 2004, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Well, I've been unemployed for over a year...I don't have any friends now and the only people I talk to on a regular basis are my parents. Needless to say, no one would know I won until I claimed my prize...After that I would leave the state/area.

MP

Putting The Damage On.

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #5651
                            July 15, 2004
                            4 Posts
                            Posted: July 15, 2004, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Might as well be a movie star.  There is no privacy and no peace when you win.  Someone is always finding you and calling you.  Doesn't matter what you say when people ask if you won.  They'll believe what they want to anyway.

My general practice is to answer a question with a question.  I'm not giving you any information until your motives are clear.