Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does Anyone Know Physics?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 12 years ago by awbailey.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Charlotte
United States
Member #3733
February 16, 2004
153 Posts
Posted: May 25, 2004, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

I am so over my head with this one.  I know nothing about physics and probably never will.  If anyone out there knows anything about T-Test, could you give us a quick run down on how it might relate to figuring out the PowerBall?  I'm just testing something.  Thanks.

OpenMinded

Australia
    Member #3084
    December 22, 2003
    328 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2004, 2:49 am - IP Logged

OpenMinded

When TV gets too boring and I need a break from fluttering my real life away in front of a monitor I pick up my Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms from McGraw-Hill to look up such as you ask. It didn't let me down.

t-test [Stat] A statistical test involving means of normal populations with unknown standard deviations; small samples are used, based on a variable t equal to the difference between the mean of the sample and the mean of the population divided by a result obtained by dividing the standard deviation of the sample by the square root of the number of individuals in the sample.

Let us know how you go. My own testing of measurements like means, deviations etc showed that the uselessness increased proportionately with the generality of the measurement. So to my mind it's just as applicable as Encke roots. Yer, I know, ask rdarmand.

Colin

Charlotte
      United States
      Member #3733
      February 16, 2004
      153 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2004, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Colin.  I might just leave that one alone.  A little over my head for what I'm willing to let my brain deal with at the moment.

Simple is as simple does - I guess.  OpenMinded

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2004, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

here is a place with alot of background on t-tests and a simple online calculator for performing some tests...

http://home.clara.net/sisa/t-thlp.htm

from Colin's book...

"t-test [Stat] A statistical test involving means (arithmetic mean = average) of normal (watch that word NORMAL, that could refer to a normalized population) populations with unknown standard deviations; small samples are used, based on a variable t equal to the difference between the mean of the sample and the mean of the population divided by a result obtained by dividing the standard deviation of the sample by the square root of the number of individuals in the sample."

here is a formula...

http://www.georgetown.edu/departments/psychology/researchmethods/formulas.htm#TTestInd

they show both formulas for t-tests, one for independent means and one for dependent means.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Sandston
          United States
          Member #4311
          April 11, 2004
          66 Posts
          Posted: June 20, 2004, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Just a quick question. did you get your help/answer on the T-Test ? send me email if you need help

awbailey@comcast.net

Tony