Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How far would you drive for a large jackp

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 12 years ago by phantomrainbow.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #4914
June 3, 2004
39 Posts
Posted: June 7, 2004, 3:05 am - IP Logged

How far would you drive for a high jackpot? Would you only drive that distance for the large jackpot? Or do you always drive a long distance to buy you're tickets?

Irvin's avatar - Goolag

New Zealand
    Member #2234
    September 2, 2003
    173 Posts
    Posted: June 7, 2004, 4:27 am - IP Logged

500 metres......Support your local agent.

twisted's avatar - underground
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #2376
      September 25, 2003
      582 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2004, 9:48 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by Irvin on June 07, 2004

500 metres......Support your local agent.

Irvin, in the United States not every state offers a "multi-state" lottery like Powerball and MegaMillions. The ones that do either have Powerball or MegaMillions, but not both. So I think what phantomrainbow was asking was (to us who live in the US) that if your state didnt have PB or MM, or if PB jackpot was at $300 million and your state didnt offer it, how far are you willing to drive to get a lottery ticket? (am I right phantomrainbow?)

This would be a nice poll question.

I am willing to drive a maximum of 200 miles if the jackpot was above $150 million and my state didnt offer that lottery.
        DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2004, 11:38 am - IP Logged

if the powerball jackpot is high, i only need to take a short walk to the nearest lottery agent (which i used to work at). conveniently, the mega millions jackpot is always high when i'm in school, so it's also a short walk to the nearest lottery retailer to pick up a ticket or two.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: June 8, 2004, 12:24 am - IP Logged

I live in Clinton, IA, which is also just right across the river from Fulton, IL, so I can get either Powerball or Mega Millions without traveling far.

United States
            Member #4914
            June 3, 2004
            39 Posts
            Posted: June 8, 2004, 5:03 am - IP Logged

Twisted if you want to make a poll out of the question you can,I didnt know how to do that. I buy my powerball tickets in tennessee now,at the store near where i live or at another store,to support the small business owners. But i have to drive to georgia to get the mega millions tickets,it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get there.

FloridaGirl's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
              Ft lauderdale , florida
              United States
              Member #4606
              May 7, 2004
              220 Posts
              Posted: June 8, 2004, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Hi guys

I wouldn't never drive more than a few miles to buy a lottery ticket.

Just winning one million would be enough for me. that one million would change my style of living for few years to come.

I never did wish to win a huge price like 150 millions ....I wouldn't know what to do with that much money. Most people who did win a very large price are not happier with their live after the win......

I usually buy the fatasy 5 numbers......A price of 200,000$ would make me very happy.  Most of the winning money would go in the house and a new car.

The most I even won was 4 numbers 163$ .......and I was not the one who had cash the ticket....the money was use to buy toys for kids at chrismas time.

My opinion on driving 200 miles to buy lottery tickets is a waste of time, gas and money.

I feel that everyone of us has one lucky chance in our live and it will be right under our nose......no need to drive very far.

Good luck to everyone of us

FloridaGirl

N/A
                United States
                Member #4612
                May 8, 2004
                9 Posts
                Posted: June 17, 2004, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I live about 45 minutes from the Ohio-Indiana border. So if Mega Millions is high, then I can just buy at the store down the street, but when Powerball is high, I need to go to Indiana. 45 minutes isn't that far for a false sense of hope of fortune.

Southeast USA
                  United States
                  Member #3660
                  February 9, 2004
                  65 Posts
                  Posted: June 17, 2004, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Well, from what I have read with that LOTTO TEXAS folks have driven all the way from as far away as ALABAMA which is about an 8-10 hour drive. Wouldn't it be something if someone from another state won all that money?! lol

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #620
                    August 25, 2002
                    205 Posts
                    Posted: June 17, 2004, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

I take about 7 major vacations a year so I do have opportunities to buy tickets in other states as I'm passing through.  Now should I win a major jackpot, I wouldn't hestitate to drive a 1000 miles to cash in my ticket.  I used to live about 30 miles from the MO state line and drove there every week to get Powerball tickets.  I loved playing the "Powerplay" to multiply winnings (if any).

Irvin's avatar - Goolag

New Zealand
                      Member #2234
                      September 2, 2003
                      173 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2004, 6:13 am - IP Logged
                      Quote:

United States
                        Member #972
                        December 30, 2002
                        465 Posts
                        Posted: June 18, 2004, 9:23 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't drive to NH or RI just for a lottery ticket no matter how big the jackpot was. But if I was visiting for another reason I would buy one.

United States
                          Member #4914
                          June 3, 2004
                          39 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2004, 3:00 am - IP Logged

I would drive to georgia for mega millions,i can play powerball in tn. i just like to go to places,and visit and look at the sites,see how the rich people live(everything is expensive in georgia).