Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Texas

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 12 years ago by 5370.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Southeast USA
United States
Member #3660
February 9, 2004
65 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2004, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Have you ever thought that the reason that LOTTO TEXAS hasn't been won is because they aren't ready to let anyone win yet?? I have gone to their website quite a few times since that jackpot hit 100 million. The lottery officials seem to want to capture headlines and brag that their jackpot will probably go down in history as being the second highest state jackpot ever. Have any of you heard of the LOTTO TEXAS being mentioned on the TODAY SHOW, CBS EARLY SHOW, etc??

Don't get  upset about what I  just wrote about the lotto officials "probably' not wanting to let anyone win (ACTUALLY, I COULD CARE LESS WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS!) But I will guarantee you that there are others in TEXAS who feels this way too.

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2004, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Yes, some may believe that it's a conspiracy.  After all, no jackpot winners = higher jackpots = more tickets sold = more revenues for the state.  The state therefore does have incentives to "fix" drawings.

Amarillo/Austin
      United States
      Member #1424
      April 25, 2003
      696 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2004, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Being from Texas, I watch the Texas Lotto closely.  Like all state lottery commissions it is designed to make money for the state and nothing more.  The public is the lambs ready to be exploited.

Funeral homes refer to the citizens of the community they serve as "inventory".  I suspect that is the attitude the TLC has toward the citizens of Texas.  By the way, TLC doesn't stand for tender loving care . . .

Orangeman

bobby623's avatar - abstract
        San Angelo, Texas
        United States
        Member #1097
        January 31, 2003
        1394 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2004, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I play the Texas Lotto regularly. I don't see how the drawings can be 'fixed' I believe the 1:47.5 million odds and poor sales are the reasons the lotto rolls and rolls and rolls. It took 31 rolls to get the jackpot up to $145 million. The lottery commission made it clear when they adopted the game that they wanted huge jackpots, no matter how long it took. Sales seldom exceed 3 million during the early draws, which is acceptable to the lottery commission. They get their 50 percent regardless and are prepared to wait it out, knowing that the jackpot will dventually result in sale of more tickets.

All state lotteries are greedy, but Texas is probably the worst. They would sell their mothers, if they thought they would profit by it. My opinion, of course!

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
          Albuquerque, New Mexico
          United States
          Member #5128
          June 18, 2004
          377 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2004, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Gee, that's juicy gossip because I hadn't thought about it.  In New Mexico, the officials are thrilled to say (either on the news or the radio): "we have a New Mexico winner or winners!"  I just hope my ship comes in!

dphillips (Blue)

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
            Yinzer Country, PA
            United States
            Member #4067
            March 18, 2004
            2741 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2004, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

States are like that because with multi-state games, the jackpot is paid for by all of the states, not just the state that sold the winning ticket.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tx_Mega_Player's avatar - spider
              BIG D Texas
              United States
              Member #2539
              October 16, 2003
              148 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2004, 12:07 am - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by ThinkBig on June 17, 2004

....The lottery officials seem to want to capture headlines and brag that their jackpot will probably go down in history as being the second highest state jackpot ever....

Any lottery would do the same thing if given the chance. Pure and simple, this is just Marketing 101. Let's not forget that the lottery is a business and it's in business to make money. In sports its how many championships you've won, on Wall Street it's how well your portfolio is doing. Toyota tells me all the time that the Camry is the "best selling 4 door import priced under $25,000.00 sold in Altus, OK that comes standard with dual vanity mirrors." Or something like that!! Every business wants to be able to say that they are number one at something - because no one remembers who came in 2nd.  JW is the highest single lottery winner in US history. I have no idea who's second....
                pensacola
                United States
                Member #5439
                July 4, 2004
                28 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2004, 1:08 am - IP Logged

156-520-207-164-579-209