Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

quick pick is better

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 12 years ago by MetroPlex.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dphillips's avatar - littleuns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Member #5128
June 18, 2004
377 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2004, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Since I just play Powerball, I let the machine pick 3 sets of numbers for my Quick-Pick, and I choose the other two numbers, which by the way, I play faithfully.  So, I just play $5.00 -- $10.00 because I always play Power Play.  Why?  Suppose I do not hit Powerball, but I hit the other numbers, I have multiplied my winnings.  Last September, I had 3 of the numbers, including Powerball which was $100.00, but since I played Power Play (and the number was 5), I won $500.00.

Although the Quick-Pick numbers change each time I play, there is absolutely nothing I can do to change that.  However, I consistently must play (paranoid and fearful) my social security number and my favorite fortune cookie number.  Now, some people each out at Chinese Restaurants 2 or 3 times a week and the waiter or waitress always gives fortunate cookies with the numbers inside, too.  Here again, that's an option.  Good luck!

dphillips (Blue)

whodeani's avatar - lightening

United States
    Member #2484
    October 9, 2003
    212 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2004, 11:12 pm - IP Logged
    Quote: O
      rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #620
      August 25, 2002
      205 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2004, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

It really doesn't matter.  It's all luck.

United States
        Member #2484
        October 9, 2003
        212 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2004, 11:47 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by rabbitfoot on June 30, 2004

It really doesn't matter.  It's all luck.

I strongly disagree!!! I haven't had any big winners on Powerball or MegaMillions but I have had my share of 5/6 winners (4) on a Pick 6 (6/36) within the last year and a half. I know I wouldn't have been that lucky just using quick picks. Has to be a little more than just luck wouldn't you think?

United States
          Member #1759
          June 29, 2003
          1156 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2004, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Your exactly right "Whodeani" I tested quick-picks against my personal picks and when ever I hit the numbers in the daily games it wasn't from the quick-picks.Just recently I missed the Pick-4 by 1 number and the quick-pick didn't even come close then a day later I had 3 numbers boxed while the quick-pick only had 1.I have never hit any numbers using quick-picks when I started selecting my own numbers to wheel I did.I play for fun and not everyday but when I do play I do a lot better than a quick-pick would do.Quick-Picks are entirely based on "LUCK" while Number Selection Strategies are based on "INTELLIGENT DECISIONS" if your skilled at using lottery software and a experienced number selector you can do better than a quick-pick.Quick-Picks are no different than selecting numbers randomly out of a hat.Yes they do work but it's because of the Odds if the Odds are 10,000 to 1 in the Pick-4 and 10,000 or more people buy quick-picks your gonna have winners.You just may not be one of them my parents have bought quick-picks from time to time since 1998 and never won a dime while I have won various amounts in the Pick-3,4 and 5(4 numbers)since that time.So if you believe the only way to win is with "LUCK" then that's probably the only way your gonna win.If not then you can probably win using a number system/strategy if they never worked no one would be using them so it's obvious they help increase your chances.I personally know some players that hit more often than a quick-pick would by intelligently selecting there own numbers.

United States
            Member #1759
            June 29, 2003
            1156 Posts
            Posted: July 1, 2004, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Quick-Picks aren't the best method to use neither is Software/Systems because some players have more hits from quick-picks than anything else and vice-versa it all depends on what works best for the player.I have better results from Software/Systems while someone else may not but since we have several choices for playing games of chance Luck,Prayer,Strategies one of them is bound to work for somebody.

Columbia City, Indiana
              United States
              Member #2978
              December 9, 2003
              381 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2004, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Pick-4_Master; you really can do much better than any machine, with only a minimal amount of effort.

There are as many ways to pick lotto numbers as there are different combinations. Some people play birthdays, anniversaries or other dates that are special or significant to them (calendar numbers). The problem with this type of selection is that, while these numbers are significant in your life, they may not be significant to the machines spitting out the numbered balls.

Other people swear by the process of selecting non-calendar numbers; that is, those numbers higher than 31. The reasoning here suggests that if you hit, you're less likely to end up splitting a jackpot with someone else who has played the same dates.

Then again, I have a friend who plays the first four digits of his prison number, 5577, twice a day (I really should get out more and make some new friends). One day I explained to him that what he should be playing is his release date, since his prison number doesn't really make the cut as being "lucky."

Consistent winners, however, choose their numbers scientifically, based on a wide variety of predetermined criteria. They will take the game apart, whether they're playing Pick-3, Pick-4, Pick-5 or lotto. They break the game down into as many individual components as possible, and then analyze each aspect separately. Then they'll perform another analysis combining different components together, then another and another.

Some prefer pencil-and-paper systems, others like the simplicity of software, and some people like to combine the two. The important thing, though, is to do some type of analysis based on past performance of the numbers, whether it's hot vs. cold numbers, odd/ even numbers, high, low or overdue, skip/ hit charts, positional and frequency analyses, pairs charts, doubles, double-doubles and triples charts, overall hits by digit charts... I could go on and on...

So I think I will.

There is an inherent amount of luck required to win any lottery game, but a player can reduce his odds dramatically with just a little work. It's like anything else, though; you get back what you put in. If you just walk to the local Mom & Pop's everyday after work and buy a quick-pick on the Pick-3 game, my guess is you won't be cashing in many tickets. On the other hand, if you study the game for a few weeks, learning how the numbers behave in your state's game, you will begin to gain insight into how those numbers tend to fall. Carrying it a step further, if you analyzed how many times each digit has hit in the past sixty days, you'll soon discover that  two or three of those digits have hit fewer times than the others within that time frame. To go another step, if you analyzed the results you've just obtained by position, you'll be able to determine, with a high degree of certainty, at least one and possibly two or three digits that are more likely to hit that night than the remaining seven or eight digits, and which positions they will occupy. You don't often get three digits to reveal themselves this way, but it does happen and, when it does, it's a great feeling (yes; I speak from experience).

These same processes can be applied to any lotto game, including PowerBall and MegaMillions, and they really will reduce your odds. For example, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the red PowerBall seldom repeats in consecutive draws (I don't have these statistics at hand, but you can check them yourself, if you're so inclined). Therefore, I would not choose the digit, "4" in the red field when I buy my tickets for Saturday's drawing, because that digit just fell in Wednesday's drawing. Now, I have a decided edge over everyone in the country who has a quick-pick or calendar number ticket with "4" as their PowerBall selection. I might not have a clue what the number will be, but I can be reasonably certain that it won't be "4." By doing nothing more than eliminating one digit, I have increased my chances of winning; not by much, but then again, I didn't actually do much. 

I no longer criticize those who believe it's all luck. The way I see it, that's just one less person with whom I have to compete in upcoming drawings. I realize there are people who will disagree with my views, and that's fine. This is America, after all, so everyone is entitled to his opinion, and I, of course, am free to ignore it.

Study your games. Use any information you can find in there to gain an edge, and then use it to your advantage. You'll discover that, once you get going, you'll be spending most of your time analyzing the data you've assembled. You'll also notice more winning tickets showing up in your pocket.

Good luck! 

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

United States
                Member #1759
                June 29, 2003
                1156 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2004, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Well said "Jim695" I know from past experience that "LUCK" and I aren't very good friends.I use to believe that LUCK was the only way to win at lottery games.That way of thinking soon changed after being fed up with not hitting any numbers.I don't put down the LUCK players anymore either because they are the ones that keep the money rolling in the games for us strategy players to win.Luck players do hit jackpots but there are more non-lucky players out there who use luck and don't win.THANKS GUYS!!!!!

United States
                  Member #2484
                  October 9, 2003
                  212 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2004, 10:25 pm - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by Pick-4_Master on July 01, 2004

Well said "Jim695" I know from past experience that "LUCK" and I aren't very good friends.I use to believe that LUCK was the only way to win at lottery games.That way of thinking soon changed after being fed up with not hitting any numbers.I don't put down the LUCK players anymore either because they are the ones that keep the money rolling in the games for us strategy players to win.Luck players do hit jackpots but there are more non-lucky players out there who use luck and don't win.THANKS GUYS!!!!!

Luck has also been more of a foe to me than a friend. I must have been born on the wrong day or something because I have never won jack using quick picks. I am just not that lucky. But I have found ways to create my own "luck." I have said here a number of times before and I will say it again. I have won more in the last year and a half using a system than I did in the ten years before that just using quick picks. I believe the key is repetition. Even if your only goal is to win a 6/49 or Power Ball or Mega Millions, I firmly believe anyone who uses a system should play at least one daily game also (or at least play just for fun on paper). You need to through the process everyday of looking at charts, stats, or whatever else one might use. You pick up on things by doing it everyday. I think everybody here would be better at picking numbers for Power Ball or Mega Millions if you could play those games everyday. Good luck all.
                    Southeast USA
                    United States
                    Member #3660
                    February 9, 2004
                    65 Posts
                    Posted: July 6, 2004, 5:46 am - IP Logged

Yes, i feel quick picks are better unless you have some serious dough to put down on some tickets. In the distant past, I have tried picking my own numbers and I might get two numbers right, but I will also say that i have never tried anything scientific or anything like that. Now lately, though, i will admit that I have practiced writing down 40-50 Powerball numbers and after the drawing I would check the numbers against my numbers and it is shocking that I am coming close to hitting five out of 6. I am not sure why, but it is happening more and more lately, but ONLY with Powerball, no other lottery.

Like I said, since I don't have much money to spend in the first place and since so many folks have won with quick picks, I feel compelled to go that route.

Dayton, OH
                      United States
                      Member #2940
                      December 4, 2003
                      72 Posts
                      Posted: July 6, 2004, 7:37 am - IP Logged

The more time you spend following one game the better you understand it and the sharper your intuition becomes for that game.

More people purchase quick pick over using any kind of strategy. I listen to people that I work with that play the lottery and most of these people don't even know how the game that they are playing works or how many numbers it take to win a minimum prize or if the numbers have to be in draw order or if they can be in any order.

So, who are the people winning the lottery? The people that are the most clueless as to what is going on.

United States
                        Member #1759
                        June 29, 2003
                        1156 Posts
                        Posted: July 6, 2004, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Quicks are better if a player doesn't have any other method that works well for him and Lottery Winners actually consist of Clueless and Non-Clueless players the first being the ones you mentioned that don't even know how to fill out a playslip properly.Then the other winners are ones that know how to "REALLY" play the game and don't rely on luck but there intelligence.What ever group you belong to doesn't really matter as long as what your using works for you.

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                          OHIO
                          United States
                          Member #5328
                          June 30, 2004
                          1284 Posts
                          Posted: July 6, 2004, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I only played for real a couple of tiems all quick picks, not one number ever came up!

Cleveland
                            United States
                            Member #5299
                            June 28, 2004
                            95 Posts
                            Posted: July 14, 2004, 9:03 am - IP Logged

I think I have to agree with the concensus that you should use whatever method that works for you.  A few people are incredibly lucky, like a lady I know who can hit a bingo jackpot at least twice a month and win at least one game whenever she plays.  She hits the numbers left and right yet believes that if she shares her picks, her numbers won't fall.  I've always wondered how the heck can one person be that lucky.   So for us who does not have that kind of luck, we do the best we can. 

Although I have to admit that I don't know how long to play a number, but the numbers I play do fall.   As I'm too lackadasical to actually sit down and try to work out a number, by which I would not how to do anyway, I play numbers strickly that is significant to me in some way, like my address, grad/birthyear/date, etc., a person's hospital room number, etc, and dream numbers. 

Good luck to you.

MetroPlex's avatar - 619631
                              Richmond, VA
                              United States
                              Member #5360
                              July 1, 2004
                              93 Posts
                              Posted: July 14, 2004, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I cannot afford to play my wheels...so I just do quick pick...usually $3-$5 for Mega Millions and Lotto South.

MP

Putting The Damage On.