Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who Would You Tell?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Fwup.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
MetroPlex's avatar - 619631
Richmond, VA
United States
Member #5360
July 1, 2004
93 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2004, 11:12 am - IP Logged

If you won a big jackpot...Who would you tell?

I would call my parents. I then would call my lawyer, then my accountant/finacial advisor. I would take atleast 2 weeks off to get everything straight and then my lawyer and I would claim the prize. I would also have security with me. No limos or that BS.

MP

Putting The Damage On.

Southeast USA
    United States
    Member #3660
    February 9, 2004
    65 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2004, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

I think the very first person I would inform would be my child, dventhough this child was the very one who told me I was wasting my money. Then I would tell my mother and perhaps a few other folks I can trust. Then I am off to find me a lawyer to help me draft a TRUST and then let that lawyer go ahead and claim my jackpot prize. Then, after giving the lawyer his cut,  I would place that money in an account somewhere until I can decide what I really want to do, but off the top I will have to take care of some things such as making a few purchases and paying off my DEBTS.

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
      Albuquerque, New Mexico
      United States
      Member #5128
      June 18, 2004
      377 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2004, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely no one.  However, people can and people will assume anything, especially when you are driving a new car, wearing new clothes, moving into a finer apartment in a nicer area, etc.

Now, if asked if you won the lottery, it is up to you to reveal as much information as you choose: whether it is truth or the sin of omission.  I would gladly choose the sin of omission!

dphillips (Blue)

United States
        Member #5631
        July 14, 2004
        5 Posts
        Posted: July 14, 2004, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I told my wife recently that if we won, I wouldn't tell her for about a month. I'd take some time to get things in order, prep to leave my job, etc. and then when I was ready, I'd wake her up one morning and tell her about it. We would head to Austin and not come back to our town for at least two weeks or longer. She's different. She would drop everything and go to Austin that night and not come back for a while. I think it would be good to have a "cooling off" period before you actually claim the money. Granted, we wouldn't actually get the money for a couple of weeks, but I would prepare for that. I would go to claim the jackpot right after a payday so we would have money to stay away for a couple of weeks. So what if the house or car payment is a little late? I'm fixing to pay it off!!

United States
          Member #5631
          July 14, 2004
          5 Posts
          Posted: July 14, 2004, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

To add to my last post, I would wait a month or so to let any hype die down, then I would claim my ticket with as little publicity as possible. I live in a small town, and if news of a lottery winner in the town got out, the newspaper wouldn't stop until they found out who it was. For that reason, I buy my jackpot lottery tickets out of town when I can. I travel out of town two or three days a week. If the press release said that a winning ticket was bought in a larger town 40 miles down the road, our little newspaper wouldn't think much about it. After one or two other jackpots had been won, I might get by with a little less press coverage. For that reason, I'd be just as happy with, and would prefer, a $10mil win as a $100mil win.

Fwup's avatar - babylaugh 086.gif

United States
            Member #3654
            February 9, 2004
            70 Posts
            Posted: July 14, 2004, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I would tell my brother, my sister, and my mother, and then a lawyer. I would also claim the money immediately. I could get in a wreck or have a heart attack between the time I won and the time I claimed it. Besides, the longer you wait the more interest you lose out on.