Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

anonymous lotto winners anymore?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 12 years ago by rundown99.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
roanoke, va
United States
Member #5704
July 17, 2004
2 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2004, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

in the old days, you didn't have to put your face in front of a tv or the newspaper. but now isn't it REQUIRED to get your money? it's almost a free ticket for the leeches to stick on you..aka relatives, old friends, kidnappers,...etc.

this is my biggest concern when i win the lottery. i worry about my kids being kidnapped.

any way to prdvent the spam when you win, can you win anonymously anymore?

Southeast USA
    United States
    Member #3660
    February 9, 2004
    65 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2004, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

If you play the lottery in the state of Virgina you CANNOT remain anonymous, especially if you win the jackpot. Virgina will not even allow you to claim it with a trust. Everyone who wins money in a jackpot will have to appear for a press conference plus they will post your photo on their website. The same thing applies to those who win big in the state of Illinois.

If you are concerned about anonymity, perhaps you should journey on up to Maryland and get your MM tickets...I have known for jackpot winners to be anonymous in that state, especially if the jackpot wasn't huge.

Amarillo/Austin
      United States
      Member #1424
      April 25, 2003
      696 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2004, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Lotto winners are generally public record if someone really wants to know.  If you win, would you move to a new city?  That is one option.  The state lotto organizations have a vested interest in generating as much publicity as possible.  There would be a lot of factors working against you.

Orangeman

roanoke, va
        United States
        Member #5704
        July 17, 2004
        2 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2004, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

i live in a neighbourhood a

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
          Yinzer Country, PA
          United States
          Member #4067
          March 18, 2004
          2741 Posts
          Posted: July 18, 2004, 9:21 am - IP Logged

very few states will let you claim a jackpot ticket by mail.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
            Member #2086
            August 16, 2003
            7 Posts
            Posted: July 18, 2004, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I thought that if I had won the 295 million Mega last week, and with my passion for privacy, I would have inquired (with the assistence of my lawyer, naturally) about the possibility of selling the ticket, at a discount to some big shot who would like to make a quick million. I live in Virginia, so apparently from what I read here, a trust is not an option.

I would give up a million of a super (or some part of a not so super) jackpot to avoid the slings and arrows that come with famous money.

Would Donald Trump buy a 118 million dollar cash ticket for, say, 116 million?

Just a thought. Opinions?

MetroPlex's avatar - 619631
              Richmond, VA
              United States
              Member #5360
              July 1, 2004
              93 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2004, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

If you win, this is what you do.

1. Wait atleast 2 weeks before you claim your prize. And tell no one that you won. Move all your stuff out of your old house.

2. Get a lawyer, finacial advisor, personal security.

3. Live out of a hotel those 2 weeks and atleast a month after you win.

4. Move, change your numbers and tell no one you don't want to know.

If you are smart, you can prdvent all types of BS happening to you. You got to let these people know you mean business.

Moving to where alot of other rich people are helps, because then you are not alone.

MP

Putting The Damage On.

boston
                United States
                Member #5586
                July 12, 2004
                130 Posts
                Posted: July 18, 2004, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I would not like to remain

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: July 18, 2004, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

If I had to get my picture taken to get the money... I would pose with a pair of .45 handguns and a wild look in my eyes...  Hope PA still lets you claim with a trust in the unlikeley dvent I win...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Mana's avatar - mana
                    Virginia Beach
                    United States
                    Member #3375
                    January 16, 2004
                    93 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2004, 8:33 am - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by MetroPlex on July 18, 2004

4. Move, change your numbers and tell no one you don't want to know.

Here's a thought ...hehe...  though I'm just evil like that.  Give a telephone number, but either it's a 900 number or a number that ends up telling you to dial up a 900 number and it costs $50 a minute e.e;

^^; heehee...

Quote: Originally posted by hypersoniq on July 18, 2004

If I had to get my picture taken to get the money... I would pose with a pair of .45 handguns and a wild look in my eyes...  Hope PA still lets you claim with a trust in the unlikeley dvent I win...

I just have to come up there in my "normal" clothing ... and with my "normal" evil stare ....

... insert witty quote here ...

... My behavior and apperance betrays my age ... but I'm good enough ...
                    besides, people in person would still be afraid to talk to meh, even if I had millions ^^;

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                      Member #567
                      August 14, 2002
                      484 Posts
                      Posted: July 20, 2004, 10:33 am - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by ThinkBig on July 17, 2004

If you play the lottery in the state of Virgina you CANNOT remain anonymous, especially if you win the jackpot. Virgina will not even allow you to claim it with a trust. Everyone who wins money in a jackpot will have to appear for a press conference plus they will post your photo on their website. The same thing applies to those who win big in the state of Illinois.

If you are concerned about anonymity, perhaps you should journey on up to Maryland and get your MM tickets...I have known for jackpot winners to be anonymous in that state, especially if the jackpot wasn't huge.

Are you sure that you can't form a trust to claim the prize in Virginia?  I figured that even if you don't live in a state that allows people to remain anonymous, you can still form a trust and have your attorney pick it up.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!