Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

5 Elderly Black Men who won lotto years

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 12 years ago by lilwil.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Southeast USA
United States
Member #3660
February 9, 2004
65 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2004, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

ago in  NEW JERSY (about 7 or 8 years ago), I think....Does anyone remember this story? It was all over the news about the public dispute these elderly men had over the lottery. Four of the men said that all five of them always played the lotto together and agreed to split it if they ever won. The oldest of the old men went and purchased the tickets on this day and when the numbers came up, he himself went and claimed the jackpot and the others new nothing until they saw him on tv claiming the prize. The other men filed the paperwork to hault the payment. All of them got lawyers and sued this old man and plus the old man got him a lawyer too....bottom line.....I don't think anyone ever got anything (in fact, the lawyers were the only ones getting money..lol) It was indeed a sad story and it was just one that I could never get over. I have been searching the internet and cannot find anything on this story.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
    Norfolk , Va
    United States
    Member #4541
    May 2, 2004
    25096 Posts
    Posted: July 23, 2004, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Not sure but I think that happened in North Carolina where they bought tickets from Virginia. I dont recall the outcome but it sounds like the same incident.If not there was more than once that has happened.

lilwil's avatar - lion
      lithonia,ga
      United States
      Member #3508
      January 26, 2004
      45 Posts
      Posted: July 23, 2004, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

A SIMILAR INCIDENT OCCURRED IN THE STATE OF GEORGIA.

The purchasing persons were taxi cab drivers from Africa living in Atlanta. If I remember correctly, the case was settled earlier this year(2004).I believe that the judgement was for all to share an equal amount minus attorney fees. (dont know how much)

Also, there were five drivers that were on duty the night the ticket was purchased and six others that had been excluded since they were not present to contribute their portion.

Hope this was of some help to your search.

lilwil