Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Change Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 12 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23261 Posts
Posted: July 28, 2004, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I just think it's hysterica

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: July 28, 2004, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Todd:

The odds of a 5/52+2/52 game are in the billions.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23261 Posts
      Posted: July 28, 2004, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

CO:

I know, it's preposterous.  That's why I posted it - I wanted to show you an example of the "suggestions" I get.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: July 28, 2004, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

You must be getting e-mail from people that have won several small jackpots because I've been playing MegaMillions since it came to Ohio and I've never matched more than 3 or 1 and 2 with the Mega ball.  Either that or they think it's too easy for someone else to win.  They must not understand that if no one thought it was worth playing for a $10M jackpot, the States would never be able to save up for a $250M jackpot.  To some of those players who have never won, it will alway be too easy for someone else to win because it take the same amount of effort to lose as to win, you only have to buy a ticket.

RJOh 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

boston
          United States
          Member #5586
          July 12, 2004
          130 Posts
          Posted: July 28, 2004, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Thats just prpability, I am happy with megamillions the way it is. 10M is a lot of money. If u want smallr chanses play italian lotto 6 out of 99. Good luck with that.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: July 29, 2004, 1:39 am - IP Logged

I have always been in favor of changing it since they have added more states but in a more reasonable way like 5/53 + 1/53 making the odds 1 in 152 million instead of 1 in 135 million. I dont think a big change is warranted. If powerball added California for instance they also should change the game to reflect the increase in the amount of players.

Sales are what count in a lottery and big jackpots sell. Expecting a big pot for every rollover is wrong but expecting a big pot every 6 to 9 months or so is a realistic expectation for a well run game.

I for one dont buy tickets until the cash value matches the odds and while here thats a tiny minority that describes a lot of players. It would also be important to players that the secondary prizes also went up.

United States
              Member #3676
              February 10, 2004
              425 Posts
              Posted: July 29, 2004, 1:52 am - IP Logged

Yes I agree that secondary prizes need to go up.  The payback % can be raised to produce that and entice more players to buy meaning more money for states, but lawmakers dont want to understand that and would rather rake us over the coals at 50%.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: July 29, 2004, 1:58 am - IP Logged

Well I meant an increase in the secondary prizes to reflect the odds change. More money going to the players is always a good idea however it would be about as likely as having lottery winnings being tax free like in europe.

By big prizes I mean close or above 300 million for powerball/megamillions style games.

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: July 29, 2004, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Oh geez.  I remember back when the Mega Millions jackpot was on a wild run and the Powerball jackpots were shorter than normal, including one that was won at $21 million, people here were putting that game down like crazy.  Now that Mega Millions is on a hot streak, everyone is jeering at that game now.  It's crazy.

If Mega Millions were to add more balls to increase the odds, more than likely they would increase the set cash prize payouts.

Tuesday night's payout was just dumb luck because every number except the Mega Ball was a low number.  As they always say, you never know what numbers are going to come out of the draw machine.