Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My Favourite Unusual Predictionist

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Colin F.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #3084
December 22, 2003
328 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2004, 7:21 am - IP Logged

From the Prediction Statistics if you like.

My favourite is one of the early Founders of Probability, Jerome Cardan 1501 to 1576. He was an Italian who wrote widely on games of chance, death, mathematics and astronomy.

He very seriously predicted the date of his death. The date arrived and he was still alive. Well, he was not one to be beaten when it came to predictions so he committed suicide. That'll teach 'em to doubt me!

Do we take ourselves too seriously at  times?

Colin

PS Why are people so intent on Posting at exactly the same time as me? Southland for this Post and BobP on July 18, 2004 at 2.45 am. 

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2004, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

"favo_u_rite"

Australia
      Member #3084
      December 22, 2003
      328 Posts
      Posted: August 18, 2004, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

CASH only

Which is the more correct - the English way of spelling English or the American way?

The answer - it doesn't matter.

If you understand the meaning - then the intent was achieved.

Here's a good brain exercise for you - I did it with all of my three daughters when they were very young and the story was just a trifle tedious - read it backwards. The objective was to do it so well that they didn't notice. I actually became fluent at reading backwards and still imparting meaning. However, my daughters became very good at detecting it and I was told emphatically to read it properly. Later on I found I was not alone in doing this; indeed some professional people recommend it as a mental exercise.

I don't want to be known as a Backward Reader so I'm thinking of progressing my skills to the point where I can join The Honourable Society of Reverse and Inverted Readers.

May the Lateral Thinking Forces be with you.

Colin