Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Combination ID's

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 12 years ago by johnph77.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #6189
August 11, 2004
4 Posts
Posted: August 11, 2004, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Like a lot of people, I am

United States
    Member #6189
    August 11, 2004
    4 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2004, 11:59 am - IP Logged

At the moment, this is desi

San Diego
      United States
      Member #4520
      May 1, 2004
      243 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2004, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

So let's get this straight:

You provide reasons why you don't want to educate yourself about what has been done before and what not, by dozens of other developers. But then you want us to read your design brainstorm stuff, comment on it regarding what dozens of others  have done in cumulative hundreds of man-years? So you want us educate you at tremendous cost of time just because you can't afford to buy a computer that you can populate with the competitive products and then get your own education before you come out with a commercial product that blows everyone else away?

I am curious if I am off base here and alone? But it seems pretty presumptuous.

United States
        Member #6189
        August 11, 2004
        4 Posts
        Posted: August 11, 2004, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

I apologize if it appe

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23353 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2004, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I would agree with CPR that I am fearful of installing too much software on my PC.

However, I also don't understand how you (CPR) could be saying that you're "breaking new ground" if you have no idea what others have done.

Lotteries have been around a long time, and during that time people have tried just about everything imaginable.  Just "playing the odds", if you've never looked at anyone else's approach, the odds are that it's been done before.

But do not dampen your enthusiasm.  It's great that you're trying to come up with ideas, and this is the best place to test them out.  The predictions board gives you the perfect spot to test your theories, because you get feedback after every drawing.

My advice is:

1. Keep plugging away and testing your thoughts, and,
          2. Check out what other people have done before - you may be able to incorporate some other ideas into your programs.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

johnph77's avatar - avatar
            CA
            United States
            Member #2987
            December 10, 2003
            832 Posts
            Posted: August 11, 2004, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Dragon -

Since the proposed system is not for sale I'd regard it as a fresh and different approach - to be analyzed and taken at whatever value you might place on it. I don't think Cyber PackRat meant (at least I hope not) to insult anyone nor demean anything else that may have been proposed in the past.

gl

john

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23353 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2004, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

CPR - I definitely wouldn't want to erase anything!  It takes some guts to post everything you did with your first post, so don't be discouraged, keep going!!

I'm sure all the other "senior" members here would support you 100% to keep going.

United States
                Member #6189
                August 11, 2004
                4 Posts
                Posted: August 11, 2004, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

>However, I also don't understand how you (CPR) could be saying that you're "breaking new ground" if >you have no idea what others have done.

Sounds silly, huh?  Kind of like recreating the "wheel" or an oxymoron type of thing...

I probally should more clearly think of what I mean to say before I write it.  On the lighter side of things, believe me, this is more input than I have recieved from co-workers... 

Thanks for the comments,  good and bad...     

San Diego
                  United States
                  Member #4520
                  May 1, 2004
                  243 Posts
                  Posted: August 11, 2004, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

That all being said, let me add that this program is not to be shareware or commercial or anything but free.  The GUI is the last thing I will add, as I loathe that type of coding.  In other words, it will be while. 

I stand corrected. I read the above statement to mean that he is working on a commercial product. "Anything but free" means it costs something. My fault, however, reading the sentence a few times, I was too quick to respond.

My apologies.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23353 Posts
                    Posted: August 11, 2004, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Nothin' like a little "trial by fire" to start off your new membership, eh?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19901 Posts
                      Posted: August 11, 2004, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

CPR,

Welcome to Lottery Post.  What you call combination id's are called index numbers by another member who has lots of free lottery programs at his website www.saliu.com.  He has a program that will give you the index numbers for any combination or a combination for any index numbers once you enter the lottery parameters. Good luck on your program development.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                        Member #5599
                        July 13, 2004
                        1192 Posts
                        Posted: August 11, 2004, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Bravo!!! Stay the course. There's a lot to be learned here. And at the same time a new approach is OBVIOUSLY needed. You'll find quite a few that are very help and a few...well you know. But, all and all, I think you'll enjoy coming here. Who knows, maybe you'll get just the right idea or spin on something to make it all work.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                          Dump Water Florida
                          United States
                          Member #380
                          June 5, 2002
                          3113 Posts
                          Posted: August 12, 2004, 2:04 am - IP Logged

Go to http://www.ldir.com and download the free fully functional demo of Lottery Director.  Convert the draw history of your game into a wheel and import it into Lottery Director.  Load the wheel in numaric order so it is the same as the "wheel of results".  Filter it every which way you can think of and keep a record so you can see what filter settings would strip away bad lines from the game allowing the most winners to pass through the filter.  You can't filter the game in Lottery Director because it only takes wheels up to 5,000 lines, but if you can get the winning combination among a wheel's lines this research would give you a shot at not filtering the jackpot out of the wheel. BobP

United States
                            Member #6419
                            August 22, 2004
                            2 Posts
                            Posted: August 22, 2004, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post.  What you call combination id's are called index numbers by another member who has lots of free lottery programs at his website color=#800080www.saliu.com.  He has a program that will give you the index numbers for any combination or a combination for any index numbers once you enter the lottery parameters. Good luck on your program development.

RJOh

What do you think about the Util programs at color=#800080www.saliu.com? Ion Saliu says http://www.saliu.com/software-lotto-lottery.html

The player can select the most frequent numbers for each position. See the sample file RANGEPB consisting of the most frequent positional numbers in Powerball 5/53/42 for 184 draws. RANGEPB can serve as an input file to the POSITIONAL LIMITS function in UtilPB.EXE. It represents a very powerful way to put together only Powerball numbers of high frequency. If the numbers in each position represent 50% of total frequency, the final jackpot probability is 0.56 = 1 in 64. If the numbers in each position represent 60% of total frequency, the final jackpot probability improves to 0.66 = 1 in 22. The result file can be diminished further by using the PURGE routines in MDIEditor and Lotto WE or LotWon.

How can you reduce the combinations? I tried Wheel632 to make the positional wheel smaller. Didn't work. Do you know of software to wheel Ion Saliu s Util ranges? The range combinations have many hits, but there are too many to play.

Thanks for any suggestions.

bytebye

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #1340
                              April 6, 2003
                              2450 Posts
                              Posted: August 22, 2004, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Welcome CPR...

What language are you planning to code in? GUI's are a snap to design in any of the MS visual languages (although some require more functionality code than others, VB being the simplest).

there has been work on indexing before, I'm probably not remembering this correctly but I think they called it a Lexical Index... or something like that...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.