Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

on line

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 12 years ago by rabbitfoot.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Richmond Va.
United States
Member #6187
August 11, 2004
92 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2004, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Do u think it would be nice if u could play your states lotteries on line ? Or any state for that matter .I don't always fell like going out to play. Is there any state that do ? u can do everything else on line I don't see why not.

catlover

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23275 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2004, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

With government control, online play is problemmatic.  They feel that they lose control of the sales process, and it upsets all the convenience store owners (who are a very big lobby of the government).

In the meantime, your best bet is to click the online play links on the left side of this page.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Lottery_Analyst's avatar - Batman
      Georgia
      United States
      Member #1039
      January 15, 2003
      260 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2004, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi Catlover,

The Georgia Lottery is trying to create the option where you can play on line.  It has passed in the House but seems to be dead or asleep right now.  The house passed the bill by a vote of 131 to 32, and as of 03/09/04 it was read and referred to the Senate, whatever that means.  LOL

My personal opinion is that you will have the option to buy tickets on line in the near future.  All state lotteries want the chance to access additional funds and the world wide web would open up that opportunity. 

There is also the issue of whether the state lottery would be able to sell to customers both within and outside of their own state.  The Senators that are pushing the bill in Georgia want to be able to sell tickets to people outside the state of Georgia, and outside the country for that matter.  I will let you know when I hear something new.

I have a small wager with Todd on this and I will probably lose on the timing scenario.  But I still feel strongly it will pass one day, just not sure when. ;-)

Here is the link to the bill - http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/sum/hb1272.htm

Thanks,

John

LA

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #620
        August 25, 2002
        205 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2004, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Why not just buy more draws for a longer play period.  In Illinois, we can purchase tickets for up to 15 games in advance.  For some reason, I just don't think online games would be honest- period!

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
          Yinzer Country, PA
          United States
          Member #4067
          March 18, 2004
          2741 Posts
          Posted: August 27, 2004, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

i think if a state offered tickets online, a hacker would easily be able to hack into the system and= change their ticket so it matches the winning numbers.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Lottery_Analyst's avatar - Batman
            Georgia
            United States
            Member #1039
            January 15, 2003
            260 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2004, 9:58 am - IP Logged

I disagree.  There would be security and validation processes to follow, so it would be almost impossible to falsify a winning ticket.  The state would no doubt use a secure weblink for processing.

Does anyone know if the on line services offered to the left have had attempts by hackers??

Nothing is guaranteed 100%, but if companies can do business on line without being hacked, a state lottery should be able to also.....

United States
              Member #5565
              July 11, 2004
              260 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2004, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

This sounds like electronic kiosks where players can place bets.  Anyone have any more information?

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=2242193

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2004, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

catlover:

if people can hack into yahoo, or even the government, they can hack into anywhere.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #620
                  August 25, 2002
                  205 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2004, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

You build it, the hackers will come!  Right on DoctorEw220.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!