Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

300 million dollar powerball jackpot

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 12 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: October 16, 2004, 3:07 am - IP Logged

i was wondering does anyone think the powerball jackpot will ever exceed 300 million?

Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1610
    June 3, 2003
    668 Posts
    Posted: October 16, 2004, 3:26 am - IP Logged

yes, defi

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1610
      June 3, 2003
      668 Posts
      Posted: October 16, 2004, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

Last year, on July 9th we reached $261 Million Powerball Jackpot level and again on October 25 and December 31 we reached  $190 and $210 Million, respectively. Just recently, on May 8 and October 9th of this year we all saw the $212 and $215 Million levels ...so at some point in the not too distant future, despite the heavy resistance, we are going to get lucky with that extra one critical rollover and hit over $300 million again. Isn't another $314.9 Million overdue? It happened prior to Christmas Day of 2002 and it undoubtedly will happen again.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
        DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: October 16, 2004, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

dventually, inflation will make getting to $300 million easier.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2004, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

personally it would be a thrill to see it get to 500 million....a half a billion dollars!!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: October 18, 2004, 2:20 am - IP Logged

dont hold your breath. without major changes i doubt any lottery will even break 400 million and maybe even 300.

urbossmanpimpin's avatar - batman49
              Dallas, Texas
              United States
              Member #7272
              September 28, 2004
              179 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2004, 11:50 am - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on October 18, 2004

dont hold your breath. without major changes i doubt any lottery will even break 400 million and maybe even 300.

i think your right.........
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2004, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

i think around christmas time that the powerball jackpot will be near 300 million....

Dallas, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #7272
                  September 28, 2004
                  179 Posts
                  Posted: October 26, 2004, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

will MM ever get to 300 again?!?!?!?!?!

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                    Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2741 Posts
                    Posted: October 26, 2004, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

i think that with each game adding more states, it will get harder and harder for the jackpots to get over $300 million without the matricies being changed. nowadays, whenever the jackpot gets over $200 million, everyone plays. personally, i think powerball and mega millions should accomidate inflation and offer starting jackpots of $20 million. that way, the people will think that $20 or 30 million is nothing, and wait to play. that way, the jackpot will be able to get higher and higher, and people will think that jackpots of $100 million will be chump change dventually, and the players will not withdraw all of their money for a chance when they can let it roll over.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

ksgambler's avatar - batman17
                      Kansas
                      United States
                      Member #8178
                      October 26, 2004
                      4 Posts
                      Posted: October 26, 2004, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I dont think that it will hit the $300 Million mark any time soon.  Or, at least not until the economy gets better.  I think that people tend to buy more lottery tickets when they are going through rough times, rather than when times are good.  Even though the odds dont get better when the number of people who buy tickets goes up, the chances do.  So, my prediction is, we wont see a $300 Million Powerball jackpot until 2006 at the earliest.

Kansas Gambler 

twisted's avatar - underground
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #2376
                        September 25, 2003
                        582 Posts
                        Posted: October 26, 2004, 11:10 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by ksgambler on October 26, 2004

..... .Or, at least not until the economy gets better.  I think that people tend to buy more lottery tickets when they are going through rough times, rather than when times are good......

Kansas Gambler 

First you say that people wont but tickets until the econdy gets better, and on the other hand you say that people tend to buy more tickets when they are going through rough times.  If you look at lottery sales from the past 4-5 years you will notice that the sales have actually gone down (when jackpots are at higher levels).  So if you are saying that people tend to buy more tickets when times are bad, then theoretically the sales should be higher at the higher jackpot levels today. 

I dont think that higher sales means that jackpots will be hit more often.  I think it just means that the jackpot will get to a higher level faster.

ksgambler's avatar - batman17
                          Kansas
                          United States
                          Member #8178
                          October 26, 2004
                          4 Posts
                          Posted: October 26, 2004, 11:51 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by twisted on October 26, 2004

First you say that people wont but tickets until the econdy gets better, and on the other hand you say that people tend to buy more tickets when they are going through rough times.  If you look at lottery sales from the past 4-5 years you will notice that the sales have actually gone down (when jackpots are at higher levels).  So if you are saying that people tend to buy more tickets when times are bad, then theoretically the sales should be higher at the higher jackpot levels today. 

I dont think that higher sales means that jackpots will be hit more often.  I think it just means that the jackpot will get to a higher level faster.

I think you understand what I am trying to say.  Even though I am kind of contradicting myself by saying what I said in my earlier post, let me try to explain a little bit.  First of all, when the economy is good, the old saying of "The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer" applies.  Meaning that when the economy is good, there are going to be more people who are in the upper middle class (both blue and white collar) and on down who are going to be buying lottery tickets than the people who say, make $125,000/year and on up.  And, at the same time, when the economy is bad, more middle class and poverty stricken people aren't going to be buying lottery tickets, and if they do, not as many.  Whereas, more of the upper-middle class and on up people are still going to be able to buy lottery tickets.  Now think about the numbers of people in each "class" of people.  Naturally, there is a huge number of people who are in the middle class and poverty stricken classes.  So of course lottery sales are going to be down the last several years.  Why?  Because more people who were well off a few years ago are buying tickets now, rather than the people who couldnt afford them in the first place. 
                          On the other hand, and totally contradicting what I just said, chances are that the people who wouldnt normally buy lottery tickets are buying 10+ tickets at one time, instead of 1 or 2 tickets at a time.  Obviously, this is all very vague, and I havent explained everything in great detail, but hopefully you get the point.

There is more, but there is a lot of it that I dont understand, and am not going to try to explain, but it deals with how the MUSL sets the Powerball annuity for a drawing, and how the current government bonds affect it.  However, you can go to www.musl.com and it explains it there.

Kansas Gambler

Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: October 27, 2004, 12:45 am - IP Logged

i don't buy as many as i used too due to not having the money to splurge on it like i did when i had a lot of money.......

Dallas, Texas
                              United States
                              Member #7272
                              September 28, 2004
                              179 Posts
                              Posted: October 27, 2004, 2:55 am - IP Logged

I know that if Cali joins MM then something will definitely have to be changed.