Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unlucky in riches article link

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 12 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #972
December 30, 2002
465 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2004, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/advice/20041108a1.asp

Looks like the inability to say no to handouts to family and friends is a big factor in losing all your money.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2004, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Looks like very few, if any, were able to collect in lump sum when they won.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      12011 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2004, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Yep, people tend to think that a million dollars wont ever disappear, and before they know it its gone.....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
        Member #972
        December 30, 2002
        465 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2004, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

>Looks like very few, if any, were able to collect in lump sum when they won.

Yes it does.  $4 million divided by 20 years minus taxes is probably only $140,000 a year. If you go buying cars, houses, go gambling, take expensive vacations and hand out money right and left to your family, friends or charity, you'll quickly find yourself with your last $2000 waiting 7 long months for the next check.  You can live a lot more comfortably than you do now, but you can't live like a millionaire.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19900 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2004, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Winning a lottery doesn't make you smarter, just richer.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
            United States
            Member #4657
            May 13, 2004
            1884 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2004, 5:22 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on November 08, 2004

>Looks like very few, if any, were able to collect in lump sum when they won.

Yes it does.  $4 million divided by 20 years minus taxes is probably only $140,000 a year. If you go buying cars, houses, go gambling, take expensive vacations and hand out money right and left to your family, friends or charity, you'll quickly find yourself with your last $2000 waiting 7 long months for the next check.  You can live a lot more comfortably than you do now, but you can't live like a millionaire.

Exactly.  I'd never live like a millionaire even if I won a $300 million Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot.
              RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19900 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2004, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by ryanm on November 08, 2004

I'd never live like a millionaire even if I won a $300 million Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot.

How do you think millionaires live?

Support all their relatives?  Give anybody and everybody asking for a hand-out a fist full of money?  Support all the needy in their community?  Maintain several homes in different places around the world?

There are several millionaires in my area, out side of owning their own business and living in a nicer home in the better part of town, they act a lot like me.  Many of their neighbors aren't millionaires either, but they do earn six figures salaries.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking