Welcome Guest
You last visited December 14, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Michigan Winfall

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 13 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
Member #2673
November 2, 2003
497 Posts
Posted: November 9, 2004, 8:58 am - IP Logged

The Michigan Lottery is thinking about replacing their Winfall game with a new regional game with other states. They have a survey on their site (http://www.michigan.gov/lottery) asking for players' opinions.

I filled out the survey asking them to keep the Winfall game. They are proposing a regional game with jackpots of 40M to 50M. These jackpots are too similar to the jackpots offered by Mega Millions. I told them they need to keep a game with jackpots in the 2M to 5M range. I also like the rolldown feature of Winfall.

I hope they listen. If you want Michigan to keep the Winfall game, go to their site and fill out the survey. After submitting the survey results, they give you the opportunity to enter comments.

Good luck,
Jake

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: November 9, 2004, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Michigan would offer this game along with Ohio.

I'd like to see PA offer this game too, and replace "Unlucky for Life" with it.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: November 9, 2004, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

there would have to be more states involved with the game for jackpots to get THAT high.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Canada
        Member #2673
        November 2, 2003
        497 Posts
        Posted: November 9, 2004, 2:18 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on November 09, 2004

there would have to be more states involved with the game for jackpots to get THAT high.

They are looking at a $2 ticket. That would create large jackpots.

Good luck,
        Jake

Canada
          Member #2673
          November 2, 2003
          497 Posts
          Posted: November 9, 2004, 2:23 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by CASH Only on November 09, 2004

I'd like to see PA offer this game too, and replace "Unlucky for Life" with it.

Why do you want PA to offer "this" game when you do not even know the particulars of "this" game. The design of the new game has not been been finalized yet.

I also do not understand the constant mention of games you do not like. If you do not like a game, then simply do not play it. What I find more relevant are games which are liked that may be terminated. It is important to let the lottery companies know that the game is liked and to keep it around.

Good luck,
          Jake

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: November 9, 2004, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Jake:

Because IMO certain games drag down the lottery industry. Remember the US still has annuity-only lottery games.

Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: November 9, 2004, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

The $2 price means that the jackpot would only double compared to the average right now. Huge jackpots, such as those that come with Powerball and Mega Millions, are generated because several states are involved, with a huge population playing. THAT is the key to huge jackpots. Perhaps getting PA or IN involved would help. Also, WV could use another multi-million dollar jackpot game.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                United States
                Member #416
                June 23, 2002
                1614 Posts
                Posted: November 9, 2004, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I also filled out the survey and told them to keep WinFall.  They just need to find a way to get the jackpot rolling faster.  It just takes too long in between the WinFalls.  But if they had to get rid of it..(for the schools sake) I would probably play the other game too.  But you guys aren't making very good points.  Yes it is $2 a ticket.  I would not buy the same amount of tickets I would of if they were only $1.  I would buy $10 either way.  So I would get 10 $1 tickets or 5 $2.  I really can't see how jackpots would grow any bigger, faster.

Brad

Canada
                  Member #2673
                  November 2, 2003
                  497 Posts
                  Posted: November 9, 2004, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Let me explain how a $2 ticket can grow larger jackpots. Using round numbers to make the explanation easier, say for a $1 ticket, 0.25 goes to fund the jackpot, 0.25 goes to lower tier prizes and 0.50 goes for expenses and profit. With a $2 ticket, the split can be 0.25 for lower tier prizes (because the lower tier prizes stay the same), $1 to expenses and profit (maintains the 50% ratio) and that leaves 0.75 to fund the jackpot. That means three times more goes to fund jackpots for $2 tickets as opposed to $1 tickets.

Now it is true as Bradly_60 pointed out that before you spent $10 and bought 10 tickets and then with the new price structure, you spend $10 and buy 5 tickets. You still only spend $10. Still in this situation, more money goes to jackpots ($3.75 as opposed to $2.50) but not the triple amount pointed out above.

But the other important consideration, is that many people only buy one ticket at a time. They just want to be in on every draw. With the $2 ticket, they will be spending twice as much money and therefore help grow bigger jackpots.

The CDN Lotto 649 is a good example. They went from a $1 ticket to a $2 ticket. The total amount spent on each draw went up dramatically and so did the jackpots. The number of tickets sold went down but it is the total money spent per draw that is important coupled with the fact that a larger percentage of each ticket goes to funding the jackpot.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                    Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #416
                    June 23, 2002
                    1614 Posts
                    Posted: November 9, 2004, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for that Jake.  I does make more sense I guess now.

Brad

Yinzer Country, PA
                      United States
                      Member #4067
                      March 18, 2004
                      2741 Posts
                      Posted: November 9, 2004, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

the only problem with $2 ticket prices is that it does not always mean higher jackpots since $2 tickets don't generate player support.