Welcome Guest
( Log In | Register )
The time is now 3:11 am
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning odds of pick 3 numbers. For future reference.

Published:

There are 1000 straight pick 3 numbers.

Each of them has a 0.1% chance to come out.

To have a 1% chance of winning, a person most play any 10 straight pick 3 numbers.

 Straight numbers are 1 way numbers.

Any-order or boxed numbers are:

Triples are 1 way numbers.

Doubles are 3 way numbers.

Singles are 6 way numbers.

Each triple has a 0.1% chance.

Each double has a 0.3% chance.

Each single has a 0.6% chance.

So you would need to play 2 times as many doubles to get the same chance as singles, but doubles pay 2 times as much as singles, so they might turn out to be equal.

As boxed singles have a 0.6% chance then:

10 have a 6% chance.

20 have a 12% chance.

30 have a 18% chance.

40 have a 24% chance.

80 have a 48% chance, yet they pay only $80.

You would have to play all the:

120 singles, 90 doubles and 10 triples = $220 to have a 100% and to then win either $80 for a single (72% chance), $160 for a double (27% chance) or $500 for a triple (1% chance). 

According to all of that, singles and doubles are equal bets, that is, neither of them is better than the other one.

These things might be important if later I check any future predictions against the odds of winning or "Random" 

I figured these things out by myself, so I am not 100% sure if I am right or not. 

 

Entry #154

Comments

1.
johnph77Comment by johnph77 - September 16, 2007, 5:43 pm
In the payouts you list, the straight bets payout percentage is 50% and the boxed bets payout percentage is 48%. This is the norm for Pick 3 games - some places slightly lower.

In some states (KY and others) the payout percentage for ALL bets is 60%. Straight bets pay $600, six-way box bets pay $100 (vs. $80 or $83) and three-way box bets pay $50 (vs. $40 or $42).
2.
LANTERNComment by LANTERN - September 17, 2007, 2:23 am
johnph77

You are right!
Thank you very much.

You must be a Lottery Post member to post comments to a Blog.

Register for a FREE membership, or if you're already a member please Log In.