Welcome Guest
( Log In | Register )
The time is now 11:14 pm
You last visited January 17, 2017, 10:48 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

House Fires - Please read

Published:

 


  

  
  
  
  House fires--please read!


Received from a friend who is in the insurance property business. It is 
well worth reading. 

The original  message was written by a lady whose brother and wife learned a hard  lesson this past week. 

Their house burnt down.. nothing left but ashes. They have good  insurance so the house will be replaced and most of the contents. That  is the good news. 


However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire. The  insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He  had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her  sister-in-law what she had plugged in  the bathroom.
She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow dryer.  He kept saying to her, 'No, this would be something that would  disintegrate at high temperatures'. Then her sister-in-law  remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the bathroom. 

The investigator had one of those 'Aha' moments. He said that was the  cause of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with  the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the 
plastic they are made from is THIN. He also said that in every case  there was nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the  investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the  plug-in were still in there. 


Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light  built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim and then  finally go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few hours later, 
and the light would be back on again. The investigator said that the  unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just  blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come back on. That is  a warning sign. 



The investigator said he personally wouldn't have any type of plug in  fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many places  that have been burned down due to them. 

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION ON. 

  NOT ONLY COULD IT SAVE SOMEONE'S HOUSE, 

BUT IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE

 

Entry #36

Comments

1.
emilygComment by emilyg - July 22, 2008, 11:18 pm
Thank you.
Best thing to use - Reed diffusers - safe and pleasant.
2.
justxploringComment by justxploring - July 23, 2008, 12:02 am
Thanks for your concern. You are a kind person, but your friend is pulling your leg, Gentlespirit. A letter with the exact words (including "Aha" and "learned a hard lesson" and "sifted through the ashes") circled the internet about 5 years ago and it keeps resurfacing. There was once a house fire and the homeowners claimed they used the Glade extra plug-in. Nothing was ever proven, but SC Johnson paid $200,000 to settle, even though an investigation showed the house had faulty electrical wiring. A nightlight is more of a fire hazzard. To tell you the truth, I'm too cheap to buy this stuff, but I wouldn't worry about it. Your modem gets hotter than these things. Over 2 billion of them have been sold. Here's a few links showing this rumor FYI.
http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/2006/01/glade_plugins_and_house_fires.html
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/glade-plug-in-fire.html
3.
Comment by Gentlespirit - July 23, 2008, 8:57 am
I hear ya Jux...however, I've never liked those plug-in thingies!!! Rumor or not, I'm not taking any chances. If my little house burns down to the ground, it won't be because of a Glade plug-in! :)
4.
justxploringComment by justxploring - July 23, 2008, 12:24 pm
That's smart, Gentlespirit, especially if you feel uncomfortable. As I wrote, I'm too cheap to buy those things anyway. I used sprays until recently, but they're not healthful. If you use Glade or one of those air fresheners, try to walk in the opposite direction of the mist.   I now get a natural freshener with lavendar that's a pump. Hope the dollar store continues to carry it.   Best thing is always to open up the windows and doors once in a while. It's just too hot now.

You must be a Lottery Post member to post comments to a Blog.

Register for a FREE membership, or if you're already a member please Log In.