While updating the old spreadsheets to cover the new error traps in my current project, I happened to open the OpenOffice spreadsheet I had built for the next part of this project. Trash. Garbage. Landfill. Somehow, during the update I made from OO 3.0 to 3.1, the 3.0 spreadsheets became unusable. Cell addresses in other cells became #NAME rather than the cell address originally entered. And as soon as I typed in the correction, those cell addresses reverted back to #NAME. The spreadsheet has been deleted - totally unusable and uncorrectable. I'll now have to rebuild the entire file in Excel - and, while I find the new ribbon taskbar hard to use and navigate, I have to bite the bullet - and there are about 4 million cells to be formatted. I am not a happy camper.
The OpenOffice word processor is good enough for the ordinary user, inasmuch as neat, ordinary documents can be generated much like that of the processors one used to have to pay for. But specialized functions, such as typesetting (which is a necessity in some of my applications) is missing.
I had a lot of time invested in the creation of the deleted spreadsheet, though. So goes it - back to work. Into each life some rain must fall.