An elderly man who claims he was swindled out of a winning lottery ticket has won a court settlement with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp.
But under the terms of the agreement, Bob Edmonds isn't allowed to discuss the details. Edmonds spent years fighting the lawsuit against the OLGC, alleging he was robbed of the $250,000 he won with an Encore ticket, validated at Coby Variety in July 2001.
He had already settled a suit with Phyllis and Scott LaPlante - the prize claimants and owners of the Coboconk, Ont., variety store. The LaPlantes settled the suit for $150,000 but have admitted no wrongdoing.
But Edmonds was still fighting for an additional $100,000 to make up the difference. He claimed the lottery corporation was "vicariously liable" for the actions of its retailers.
He also accused the OLGC of failing to properly investigate when vendor Phyllis LaPlante claimed what he said was his $250,000 prize.
The jury was to begin deliberations Thursday, following the charge by Justice Harriet Sachs, but the 11th-hour settlement came through instead.
Lottery corporation lawyer Jacqueline Wall had said the company did launch an appropriate investigation, and was reasonable to conclude the winning ticket belonged to LaPlante.
And in court, Wall said there was no evidence that Edmonds raised his concerns about the $250,000 ticket until after the winnings were paid out.
Phone records showed a call from Edmonds' home to the lottery corporation before the $250,000 prize was claimed. The court heard there was no record of a conversation having taken place.
Legal teams for both sides refused to comment on the verdict Thursday.