$330 MILLION: Mega Millions lottery jackpot raised

Aug 30, 2007, 4:29 pm (18 comments)

Mega Millions

Stronger than expected sales of Mega Millions multi-state lottery tickets have caused the 12 Mega Millions states to raise the Friday jackpot to $330 million.

The new cash option is worth $194 million. 

The $330 million jackpot is the second-largest Mega Millions jackpot in history.

The mamoth jackpot has been rolling since Tuesday, July 10th, and represents the 16th drawing in the series.

During this jackpot run more than $79 million in prizes have been awarded to players in the form of lower-tier prizes, ranging from $2, awarded to millions of people matching the Mega Ball, to $761,418 for a California winner of the second prize on August 21st.

Players can see what they would collect from the lottery after taxes in their particular state by visiting the Jackpot Analysis page at the official USA Mega web site: http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.htm

Results for the Firday drawing will be posted at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) within minutes of the 11:00 PM draw time (Eastern Time).

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Todd's avatarTodd

I hope I'm the big winner Friday, that I step forward and choose the cash option, and that I don't have financial problems later in life.  (Is there such a thing as OCD of the keyboard?)

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Aug 30, 2007

I hope I'm the big winner Friday, that I step forward and choose the cash option, and that I don't have financial problems later in life.  (Is there such a thing as OCD of the keyboard?)

My vote is for me.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

I wish I could play, but I won't be able to make the trip.

AuntiePat's avatarAuntiePat

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Aug 30, 2007

I hope I'm the big winner Friday, that I step forward and choose the cash option, and that I don't have financial problems later in life.  (Is there such a thing as OCD of the keyboard?)

Dupe Alert   LOL    

My
Dear Boy

Would rather hear it from you than others

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Someone will win, maybe more than one, maybe it will be me! Wouldn't that be nice! Instead of thinking about how I'd manage it, I am for once going to think about how I'd spend it in fun ways. I would by a big house where I love in Westchester County (NY), I'd buy a condo in Santa Monica, and another in Florida. I'd get a bunch of dogs (I Love animals!), I'd go on a serious shopping spree, after a few nip/tucks to ensure the cloths would look nice, I would book a flight on Virgin Galactic, and I would travel around the world...my first stop....Egypt. That was fun to even think about!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Already the jackpot is growing and players like myself haven't even bought their tickets yet. 

I'll be surprised if the jackpot rolls again unless all the winning numbers are in the higher 30% of number pool as they were in the last drawings.  All the winning numbers are not usually clustered so close together, although it happened on 07/11/03 when all the winning numbers including the bonus number were less than 19.  That happens in less than 5% of the drawings.

With that in mind, the only strategy that I have that comes close to winning anything is playing all 46 bonus numbers and hope I get lucky and match some other numbers on the winning line.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Aug 30, 2007

I wish I could play, but I won't be able to make the trip.

You still have time to play on line at Betslips.com., there's a link on USAMega. 

Or you could post your numbers on the prediction board.  That way your numbers will have a chance to win even if you don't and you will at least have bragging rights if they do win.

MIlottoplayer

Well I've spent my 5 bucks for this 330 million drawing.  Good God I'd love to win and definitely quick my job.  Aaaaaaaaaah...well if you guys don't here from me after Friday then there's good reason :)

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 30, 2007

You still have time to play on line at Betslips.com., there's a link on USAMega. 

Or you could post your numbers on the prediction board.  That way your numbers will have a chance to win even if you don't and you will at least have bragging rights if they do win.

I think I'll skip on buying online, but if I have time, I'll see if I can come up with some numbers for predictions. I can only hope that if it rolls, somebody I know is going to make the trip so I can go with them.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

Well with the increased sales the odds of a rollover are less likely. I'm getting tickets on Friday myself. If it does roll it would be amazing. Still haven't seen any lines in the stores to get tickets.

HiYoSilver

What would tick me off, after playing for 30 years, is the winner being someone that hardly ever plays. To me, it feels like someone is taking all the money I've invested without contributing anything.

If it's a person that plays regularly, then I'm merely jealous.  WinkBig Smile

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by HiYoSilver on Aug 31, 2007

What would tick me off, after playing for 30 years, is the winner being someone that hardly ever plays. To me, it feels like someone is taking all the money I've invested without contributing anything.

If it's a person that plays regularly, then I'm merely jealous.  WinkBig Smile

You're going to be ticked off no matter who wins if you believe you've been contributing to the MegaMillions game for 30 years since it only started eleven years ago as the BigGame.  In fact, it started selling tickets August 31,1996 for its first drawing on September 6,1996. ConfusedUnhappyWinkBig Smile

One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

Quote: Originally posted by MissNYC on Aug 30, 2007

Someone will win, maybe more than one, maybe it will be me! Wouldn't that be nice! Instead of thinking about how I'd manage it, I am for once going to think about how I'd spend it in fun ways. I would by a big house where I love in Westchester County (NY), I'd buy a condo in Santa Monica, and another in Florida. I'd get a bunch of dogs (I Love animals!), I'd go on a serious shopping spree, after a few nip/tucks to ensure the cloths would look nice, I would book a flight on Virgin Galactic, and I would travel around the world...my first stop....Egypt. That was fun to even think about!

A woman after my own heart.  I'd do the same thing, MissNYC.  Although my houses would be in Maryland/Virginia, where I am now.  One in Texas, where I grew up and then one on a beach somewhere.  I don't know about the nip/tuck, but I'd definitely get a personal chef and a personal trainer.  Then I'd take my world cruise.  Sprinkle in a few shopping sprees in between all the home buying and I'm happy. Big Smile 

Maybe that "more than one" can be me and you, MissNYC.   Wink   Ahhhhh.... if only!!

Just6ntlc

I hope there is a Mega Millions jackpot winner on this draw. Otherwise, if it rolls, I think it will set a new United States jackpot record.

Subscribe to this news story