Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Trending

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 12 years ago by libra.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
S.Windsor, CT
United States
Member #4580
May 4, 2004
119 Posts
Posted: December 7, 2004, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

In April 1997 there was an article in "Lotto World" about Trending as a filter for

predicting lotto numbers. I was unable to understand how to use it, so I searched

LP for any reference but found none. Is anybody familiar with this concept and if so,

please tell us where one might learn more about it.

Bertil

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
    Member #4416
    April 22, 2004
    1075 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2004, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Bertil,

I'm certainly no expert on trending or filters, but I've read a little about this concept. Most applications that I've seen separate a pool of numbers into groups. Those groups are then cross-referenced with temporal draw ranges. I suppose the groups and ranges can be arbitrarily set by the person employing such a method, or they might be built into the software which incorporates them. For that matter, every number in a pool could be analyzed individually rather than as a part of a group.

At any rate, the actual occurrence of any given number or group is compared to the expected average occurrence in each draw range. As the percentage of occurrence of a number or group of numbers changes from one draw range to the next, it is said to be "trending." The percentage of change from one draw range to the next is presumably indicative of the likelihood that a number or group of numbers will occur in future drawings. Larger and more successive gains would indicate strength whereas smaller, sporadic or negative changes would indicate decreased likelihood.

This all seems like a bit much to do manually from draw to draw, but I suppose it could be done. If you're interested in giving it a try, you might shop around for some software that incorporates this type of filter. I have no idea what software that might be, but you might ask some of the other members. From what I read about filters in the posts, BobP, RJOh and WinD all seem to be fairly well versed on the subject. Maybe one of them can shed a bit more light on this subject. By no means should you take my rather vague understanding of this subject as gospel. I'd certainly like to hear from some more knowledgeable people on this subject.

Thanks for raising a very good topic. I hope it will draw some thoughtful responses.

Good luck,

aye'

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2004, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Bertil,

The first time I read the words trend and filter use together was at Lottery Post  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/100205 by Dream Lotto. He may have posted something else where.

I look for patterns and set parameters that limit my choice of numbers and their mix to the most common patterns which is kind of like using filters and following trends, but since I'm not winning anything, I just consider it another way to pick numbers.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

libra's avatar - chi
        Cleveland , Ohio
        United States
        Member #961
        December 27, 2002
        44232 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2004, 12:22 am - IP Logged

Hi Bertil

According to the article, you would use a 26 week chart of numbers that have hit.Each week is numbered and the week numbers that have hit are added up to creat an index. As an example the number 2 hit in week-1-5-8-17-18  added up =  49, so the index number is 49. The Higher the index the better the number to use.It also states not to use this by itself. You could use this in the finale elimination of numbers or if you have 2 numbers you like but only want to play one of them. The one with the higher index would be it. Hope this helps you out.

Libra Dave   

johnph77's avatar - avatar
          CA
          United States
          Member #2987
          December 10, 2003
          832 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2004, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Been discussed on site a few times, has to do with historical information. I believe there are four types of trending, each with their proponents and detractors.

Hot/hot trending - a number has appeared in the past more often than odds would indicate,  and will continue to do so.

Hot/cold trending - a number has appeared in the past more often than odds would indicate, and will not do so in the future.

Cold/hot trending - a number has appeared fewer times in the past than odds would indicate, and is due to appear more often in the future.

Cold/cold trending - a number has appeared fewer times in the past than odds would indicate, and will continue to do so.

The length of time taken into consideration for data inclusion varies with the person doing the trending. You still pays your money and makes your choices.

gl

john

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3113 Posts
            Posted: December 8, 2004, 2:23 am - IP Logged

Articles like this make me think of nailing a 4x8 white sheet of Melamine to the wall with pin striping for grid lines so I have a chart of the trending numbers big enough to really work with.

Trending is like Skip and Hit, but more like Leap Frogging.  You study the chart for a feel of what's coming next based on what's been before. 

Remember random is like a drunken walk and we're trying to predict the next step.  The perameters are established by say the curbs or the size of the game, and we know the guy hangs on every lamp post, so we can sort of plot the trend of where he's going.

The chart is just game numbers 01-49 down the left side and draw dates across the top, six X's per draw indicate the hits.  Sometimes making a chart like this gives the mind perspective, for others it's just marks on a page.

We see a number hitting bing, bing, bing, we bet where the forth bing should hit.  Some games you only get two bings to guess the third.

Some people can study the numbers on a grid like this and get a feel for what's coming next.  It can't be done by stats or the Gail Howard Skip and Hit chart Smart Picks would hold all the answers.  BobP

S.Windsor, CT
              United States
              Member #4580
              May 4, 2004
              119 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2004, 7:52 am - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by libra on December 8, 2004

Hi Bertil

According to the article, you would use a 26 week chart of numbers that have hit.Each week is numbered and the week numbers that have hit are added up to creat an index. As an example the number 2 hit in week-1-5-8-17-18  added up =  49, so the index number is 49. The Higher the index the better the number to use.It also states not to use this by itself. You could use this in the finale elimination of numbers or if you have 2 numbers you like but only want to play one of them. The one with the higher index would be it. Hope this helps you out.

Libra Dave   

Hi Libra,

Thank you for a perfect explanation. It is so simple I'm ashamed not figuring it out

myself. The system raises a few questions. Did you or anybody perform any stat

test to see if it works? Also, might a different time period than 26 yield better

results? The system does yield a true quantitative value for hot and cold

numbers.

Bertil

Vinicius's avatar - the eye.png
                TAGUATINGA
                Brazil
                Member #9118
                November 28, 2004
                21 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2004, 8:16 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by libra on December 8, 2004

Hi Bertil

Libra Dave   

sry,  crazy system like this just doesnt work with lottery.

"The Higher the index the better the number to use"

Yea right... do you believe in santa claus as well?

libra's avatar - chi
                  Cleveland , Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #961
                  December 27, 2002
                  44232 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2004, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

Hi Bertil

Yes I did the Ohio 6/49 just to see how well this works. 23 - 25 - 29 - 38 - 44 - 49  BB 36 are what came in.The index had them rated like this.

23 - 47  about 12 lower then midpoint.

25  - 3  second lowest on the chart.

29 - 127  top index number on the chart.

38 - 58  Near midpoint on the chart.

44 - 90 second highest on the chart.

49 - 57  near midpoint of the chart.

I did not include the bonus ball in the chart.

I don't think it would hurt to include this chart in your workout.

Libra Dave