Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Pigskin Challenge for 01-08-05

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 12 years ago by ayenowitall.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Greenwich, CT
United States
Member #4793
May 24, 2004
1822 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2005, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Just when you think you've got it all figured out....

Good work, Aye.  Is it now the Pigskin-Aye Challenge?  Aye-Pigskin?

Lee's Summit, Mo.
    United States
    Member #6519
    August 26, 2004
    192 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2005, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Congrats Aye.  A very impressive performance.

Overall, the group didn't do that well.  More than half of us couldn't even identify one white ball.

I'm still trying to figure out what FJA was about with his two red ball numbers, 50 and 51.

Lee's Summit, Mo.
      United States
      Member #6519
      August 26, 2004
      192 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2005, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Aye, I just noticed that under a different topic you posted quite a few 5 number combos for yesterday's drawing and even though all these combos contained around 30 numbers, they failed to include the 22....even though you included it in your ten challenge picks.  Please explain.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
        Member #4416
        April 22, 2004
        1075 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2005, 4:39 am - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by JAG331 on January 9, 2005

Just when you think you've got it all figured out....

Good work, Aye.  Is it now the Pigskin-Aye Challenge?  Aye-Pigskin?

JAG,

It's still The Pigskin Challenge. I didn't surpass the previously set mark. Even if I had done so, I would have declined to change the name. I think it should remain as it is in honor of pigskin's pioneering performance.

Good luck,

aye'

United States
          Member #4416
          April 22, 2004
          1075 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2005, 5:06 am - IP Logged

pigskin,

Maybe everyone in the group didn't do extremely well, but for the second drawing in a row, we did manage to predict all the balls.

I have no idea where fja got the 50 and 51 as red PowerBall numbers, but since they couldn't have been played anyway, I'm inclined to say that he picked the PowerBall using just two numbers. Now, who can name that PowerBall in one number? Remember, this is all about improving our skills at prediction. Using more numbers to predict the PowerBall number is passe' now. 

Those lines I posted in another thread were just some crazy system that I was experimenting with. It's nothing like what I used to generate my selections for The Pigskin Challenge. That's why the numbers were so different.

Even though I matched three numbers from ten in my challenge selections, I did not manage to cash a ticket. I'm now painfully aware of the number of possible combinations that can be made from ten numbers. In future challenges, I'll be using only seven or eight number selections so that I'll be able to put all the possiblities into play when I refine my skills a bit more. I'm thinking that a $100,000 win looks very promising.

I've been tweeking my selection method for the past couple of draws. I'm hoping it was more than dumb luck that I matched those three numbers. If I can back up that success rate or do better in the next few draws, I'll be onto something.

Now, let's all sharpen our pencils and crack this PowerBall game!

C'ya next challenge,

aye'

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            11931 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2005, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

I have no idea where fja got the 50 and 51 as red PowerBall numbers, but since they couldn't have been played anyway, I'm inclined to say that he picked the PowerBall using just two numbers. Now, who can name that PowerBall in one number? Remember, this is all about improving our skills at prediction. Using more numbers to predict the PowerBall number is passe' now. 

Sorry that was my bad (and good), I did it in such a hurry I was using my megaball history to pick the numbers.....it was just a guess, cause I've seen 2 show up a couple of times...

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2005, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Haha, now there's a beautiful headline: Rushed Lottery Player Wins Powerball with Mega Millions Numbers!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19828 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2005, 3:07 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by ayenowitall on January 10, 2005

Even though I matched three numbers from ten in my challenge selections, I did not manage to cash a ticket. I'm now painfully aware of the number of possible combinations that can be made from ten numbers. In future challenges, I'll be using only seven or eight number selections so that I'll be able to put all the possiblities into play when I refine my skills a bit more. I'm thinking that a $100,000 win looks very promising.

aye'

Full wheel sizes for combinations of 5 and (odds of matching 5).
                5 numbers = 1 (1:2,869,685)
                6 numbers = 6 (1:478,280) 
                7 numbers = 21 (1:136,651)
                8 numbers = 56 (1:51,244)
                9 numbers = 123 (1:23,330)
                10 numbers = 252 (1:11,387)

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #4416
                  April 22, 2004
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2005, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on January 10, 2005

Full wheel sizes for combinations of 5 and (odds of matching 5).
                  5 numbers = 1 (1:2,869,685)
                  6 numbers = 6 (1:478,280) 
                  7 numbers = 21 (1:136,651)
                  8 numbers = 56 (1:51,244)
                  9 numbers = 123 (1:23,330)
                  10 numbers = 252 (1:11,387)

RJOh

RJOh,

The possible  five number combinations from seven or eight numbers are exactly what I had in mind. I can easily fire $21 at each drawing and maybe even $56 if I'm able to refine my prediction skills to a level of consistency. I wouldn't play $123 or $252 per drawing. Of course, I'd like to get good enough that I could get by with playing only one or six combinations, but I don't think that's very realistic given size of the PowerBall game.

The odds don't really matter if we can figure out a way to nail down the numbers, but the matter of how much to spend pretty much comes down to how much any given individual can comfortably risk. That varies greatly for all of us.

I'm not the heaviest bettor, but I'm not afraid to hit'em hard when I think I've got it nailed. When I used to play horses, I was pretty much a $2 bettor, but I once put $100 on a horse when I figured out that the trainer had been sandbagging to get the horse in a soft spot. The horse ran second at over 50:1, but I made plenty of money because I backed him up in the place and show pools. But I digress....

If I can become reasonably consistent at picking all the PowerBall 5/53 numbers using only seven or eight selections, I'll not hesitate to put those full wheels into play. The $100,000 win looks very do-able from that standpoint, and with the luck of catching the right red PowerBall number, I could crack the jackpot.

It's all about improving our prediction skills. I think any of us can crack the PowerBall game if we stay focused and persist. It can be done.

Good luck,

aye'