Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Looks like I was wrong on Megamillions

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Maverick.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2005, 12:21 am - IP Logged

Did the math and Megamillions went up when Texas joined.

Before TX joined there were 166 drawings offering a total of 5.976 billion averaging 36 million per drawing.

After TX joined there were 126 drawings (until 2/15/05) offering a total of 4.981 billion averaging 39.53 million per drawing.

Still pathetic considering the odds and pathetic compared to Powerball.

Powerball since Megamillions started had 292 drawings offering a total of 14.931 billion averaging 51.13 million per drawing.

True since TX joined Mega they gained a whopping 3.53 million on their average but it's still 11.6 million below that of Powerball.

I would really hope that the Mega group could finally fix Mega so their average jackpot could at least reach that of Powerball.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
    Yinzer Country, PA
    United States
    Member #4067
    March 18, 2004
    2741 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2005, 1:36 am - IP Logged

well, it looks like the average may go up with this jackpot run. ever since the first drawing back in 2002 (i'm not counting the big game), only once has the jackpot been split. has anyone else noticed that?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23262 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2005, 1:54 am - IP Logged

dvdiva:

To make a fair comparison, you need to calculate the past 126 drawings for Powerball, to see its parallel run to Mega Millions since Texas joined. By going back 292 drawings, it is a less useful comparison. My guess is that they will be very close.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2005, 4:25 am - IP Logged

Well considering what a bad year Powerball is off to right now it wouldn't be difficult to match it.

Powerball is averaging 21.6 million so far in 2005. Below that of some large state lotteries. Powerball didn't have any large states join it however.

The average pot has been falling for Powerball as well but I doubt that Powerball is going to fix it anytime soon.

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2005, 9:02 am - IP Logged

Yeah, Powerball seems to be hit more than statistically expected.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23262 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2005, 9:25 am - IP Logged

My point is that you can usually make statistics say whatever you want.  I thought your initial comparison showing Powerball way ahead was unfair, because it did not compare the LATEST versions of each of the games - only the latest version of Powerball.

Mega Millions has definitely emerged as the biggest USA lottery game, once Texas joined, and now will be impossible to exceed, even if Florida decided to join Powerball.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              11929 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2005, 2:52 pm - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on February 14, 2005

Did the math and Megamillions went up when Texas joined.
              Before TX joined there were 166 drawings offering a total of 5.976 billion averaging 36 million per drawing.
              After TX joined there were 126 drawings (until 2/15/05) offering a total of 4.981 billion averaging 39.53 million per drawing.
              Still pathetic considering the odds and pathetic compared to Powerball.
              Powerball since Megamillions started had 292 drawings offering a total of 14.931 billion averaging 51.13 million per drawing.
              True since TX joined Mega they gained a whopping 3.53 million on their average but it's still 11.6 million below that of Powerball.
              I would really hope that the Mega group could finally fix Mega so their average jackpot could at least reach that of Powerball.

I understand what you are saying now......thank you for that explanation......

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                Beautiful Florida
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                20110 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2005, 3:08 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by Todd on February 14, 2005

My point is that you can usually make statistics say whatever you want.  I thought your initial comparison showing Powerball way ahead was unfair, because it did not compare the LATEST versions of each of the games - only the latest version of Powerball.

Mega Millions has definitely emerged as the biggest USA lottery game, once Texas joined, and now will be impossible to exceed, even if Florida decided to join Powerball.

i could'nt agree more...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2005, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Well it depends who fixes their game first. Both should have fixed it a long time ago. Megamillions might make their game better now that California is joining but both should have done something when their average jackpots started to tank. Its something they could have easily done in Excel.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                    USA
                    United States
                    Member #8242
                    October 29, 2004
                    1133 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2005, 7:08 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on February 14, 2005

well, it looks like the average may go up with this jackpot run. ever since the first drawing back in 2002 (i'm not counting the big game), only once has the jackpot been split. has anyone else noticed that?

There was a split-jackpot in Mega Millions? Can you gimme the date DoctorEw220? Thanx man.
                      Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2005, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

The last time there was a split Mega Millions jackpot was on November 11, 2003, when a $70 million jackpot was split three ways.

USA
                        United States
                        Member #8242
                        October 29, 2004
                        1133 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2005, 10:35 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by ryanm on February 14, 2005

The last time there was a split Mega Millions jackpot was on November 11, 2003, when a $70 million jackpot was split three ways.

Thanx.
                          fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                          Member #91
                          January 19, 2002
                          11929 Posts
                          Posted: February 15, 2005, 8:25 am - IP Logged

and if I'm not mistaken one of the winners had two of the tickets,,,,,

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

nywilliams's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
                            Atlanta
                            United States
                            Member #10983
                            February 1, 2005
                            118 Posts
                            Posted: February 15, 2005, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Yes, he was here in GA. Up in N. GA somewhere.

When a man tells you he got rich through hard work, ask him: "WHOSE"? - Don Marquis

USA
                              United States
                              Member #8242
                              October 29, 2004
                              1133 Posts
                              Posted: February 15, 2005, 9:41 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by fja on February 15, 2005

and if I'm not mistaken one of the winners had two of the tickets,,,,,

wow another .. was it 5/52 + 1/52 back then also?