Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did I miss a meeting...? LOL

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
Stone Mountain*Georgia
United States
Member #828
November 2, 2002
10491 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2005, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Are we censored ?  LOL  I can't type out the on line betting service by  the name of . ..... !!! How come??? I can print out 5 diimes or 6 diimes but I cant type out the Costa Rican service named ......

How come? did we have a meeting ? LOL  It is funny because i sent a PM to someone and it made me seem like a nutt ...because the subject was censored out but it wasn't really apparent to the reader. It just looked ...... well ... nonsensical    In a PM ?.... that is a suprise

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8359 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2005, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I think Todd got tired of the free advertising and he must have ommited it as a keyword

Justin's avatar - hatchap
      Stevens Point
      United States
      Member #6457
      August 24, 2004
      3030 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2005, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

i guess it makes sense, probably would make more sense to delete advertising posts than to censor the actual word though.

I believe life is about finding someone you cant live without

And showing them how much you care every day of every month of every year

Winner2Be's avatar - diva
        Charleston
        United States
        Member #1990
        August 5, 2003
        1675 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2005, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I think this is the ONLY way it can be done without Todd having to read EVERY SINGLE POST to make certain that free advertising is not occurring.  It seems funny to some, but it makes sense when one thinks of other alternatives to monitoring the forum.  I can't blame Todd for this because I'm CERTAIN that it cost a pretty penny to keep this site up and running with him not charging a REQUIRED membership fee on the sort.  The other site is making LOT'S of money from LP Members already... :-)

Sometimes the Heart can see what the eyes cannot.

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
          Clarkston, Michigan
          United States
          Member #76
          January 6, 2002
          8528 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2005, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Private message should not be censored........is that what you are telling me, WinD?  If that is true, shame on you know who...............

Sandy

Justin's avatar - hatchap
            Stevens Point
            United States
            Member #6457
            August 24, 2004
            3030 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2005, 10:48 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by Winner2Be on February 23, 2005

I think this is the ONLY way it can be done without Todd having to read EVERY SINGLE POST to make certain that free advertising is not occurring.  It seems funny to some, but it makes sense when one thinks of other alternatives to monitoring the forum.  I can't blame Todd for this because I'm CERTAIN that it cost a pretty penny to keep this site up and running with him not charging a REQUIRED membership fee on the sort.  The other site is making LOT'S of money from LP Members already... :-)

im not disagreeing with it, it doesnt bother me :)

I believe life is about finding someone you cant live without

And showing them how much you care every day of every month of every year

cadl's avatar - animal doggy2.jpg
              Austin
              United States
              Member #1559
              May 23, 2003
              227 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2005, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

todd rules this post, and well he should. this is the best damn web site in the universe.

win d is one of best two or three posters here, period; this beef is small potatoes--lets 

move on

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23259 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2005, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Thanks to those who defend this site and its policies. Those who don't need to take a lesson as to why Lottery Post is still around, and other sites aren't. I find it amusing when I have to go back to the well and answer these questions all over again, but that's the life of a forum webmaster.

Sandy: the same text engine is used in all areas of this web site, including the private message feature. It is a function of code reuse, so that I don't have to rewrite the text input engine each time I want to add input to another section of the web site. I do not deserve "shame", and I would have thought you would at least write me a PM about something before publically stating something extreme like that.

Besides, I would not allow the private message feature to be exploited by spammers, which hopefully you realize is for your benefit as much as mine.

Long-term members here should be trying to make my job easier by supporting me and the policies that this web site was founded upon five years ago. Many, many thanks to those who do this -- I WILL NOT FORGET your help, because time is something I have very little of these days.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2005, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on February 23, 2005

Thanks to those who defend this site and its policies. Those who don't need to take a lesson as to why Lottery Post is still around, and other sites aren't. I find it amusing when I have to go back to the well and answer these questions all over again, but that's the life of a forum webmaster.

Sandy: the same text engine is used in all areas of this web site, including the private message feature. It is a function of code reuse, so that I don't have to rewrite the text input engine each time I want to add input to another section of the web site. I do not deserve "shame", and I would have thought you would at least write me a PM about something before publically stating something extreme like that.

Besides, I would not allow the private message feature to be exploited by spammers, which hopefully you realize is for your benefit as much as mine.

I cannot thank you enough for that feature... Lord knows we don't need the mail box over flowing like our emails are.. You do a fantastic job.  I really like using this site as a place to rest at end of day..

I am not a tv watcher.. so this gives me something to do , while hubby enjoys his thing.. the TUBE...

Long-term members here should be trying to make my job easier by supporting me and the policies that this web site was founded upon five years ago. Many, many thanks to those who do this -- I WILL NOT FORGET your help, because time is something I have very little of these days.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Clarkston, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #76
                    January 6, 2002
                    8528 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2005, 7:07 am - IP Logged

Todd, I really didn't think I said anything that disparaging..........I probably should of sent you a PM about it......I am sorry for that............we all do stupid things, and that was one of mine.

But I really feel strongly about the Privacy thing......"Private" means private. If your telling me a topic is censored, I agree with that........if you tell me the content is censored, I disagree............

If you notice, I always tell people, "what happens in PM, stays in PM"....(like the Vegas thing)...........I do have the "block" feature in the PM....which says I would probably only get one spam PM before I blocked it.  And when I get a spam email, I always PM you about it......

You run an awesome site.....no doubt about it.........and I do appreciate your time and effort..........but I do value my privacy.....but you are the one in control here, and you can pretty much do what you want and I respect that..........I will follow the rules.

Sandy

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23259 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2005, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Sandy,

My text editor has an automated "smut filter", so after you post a message anywhere, before it is saved to the database, the filter removes or changes a small list of words.  (Mainly stuff like the f-word, s-word, etc.)  I guess purists could consider that "censorship", since it does in fact censor a handful of words.  However, because it is an automated computer program, and not some person going through messages and hand-picking words to delete, I do not consider it censorship in any shape or form.  It is a necessary (and I think awesome) little "helper" program for me, to make sure the rules are followed.

It does not censor content, it looks for a small list of words.  And like I said, the same program is used everywhere, so that I don't have to waste time rewriting code all over the place.  One of the side effects is that those same list of words will also be filtered on PMs.

Hopefully that clears up the topic of mentioning a certain commercial web site here, and let's get back to the business at hand...

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
                        Stone Mountain*Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #828
                        November 2, 2002
                        10491 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2005, 10:56 am - IP Logged

This is great .....kiinda freeing really..... LOL

I can cuss and say f**k,...... damn ,......sh*t,..... fart,.... piss,...... and 5  ,.....  and not have to worry about the content. It's  like a Governor on your car engine.... I can try to go as fast as I want .....but I cant get a ticket.  It's my morals Governor ...... !  I can raise Hell I mean heck ....in a PM and don't have to worry about offending anyone.

This is really great.... I just wish someone would have warned me about all these benefits earlier. 

P.S. ......     <---- sorry  (I mean that in a good way) LOL

It is... in this day and age ....ultimately a necessary Evil.... but I'm not usually right about these things..... and in some circles I am considerd part of a much more dangerous trend in a free society.   

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

Clarkston, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #76
                          January 6, 2002
                          8528 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2005, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I understand, Todd!

Sandy

Benjamin'04's avatar - dude
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #5910
                            July 27, 2004
                            266 Posts
                            Posted: February 24, 2005, 11:17 am - IP Logged

lol, well yalls can go on and on about this with each other, or let the matter drop and attend to wanting to win a couple of 3 & 4 digits. well thats my opinion anyways.

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23259 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2005, 12:36 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by WIN D on February 24, 2005

This is great .....kiinda freeing really..... LOL

I can cuss and say <snip>  ,.....  and not have to worry about the content. It's  like a Governor on your car engine.... I can try to go as fast as I want .....but I cant get a ticket.  It's my morals Governor ...... !  I can raise Hell I mean heck ....in a PM and don't have to worry about offending anyone.

This is really great.... I just wish someone would have warned me about all these benefits earlier. 

P.S. ......     <---- sorry  (I mean that in a good way) LOL

It is... in this day and age ....ultimately a necessary Evil.... but I'm not usually right about these things..... and in some circles I am considerd part of a much more dangerous trend in a free society.   

If you want to start a web site that caters to foul-mouthed people, then be my guest.  If you're going to post messages in my web site, you'll have to live by my rules.  Most adults understand this principle just fine, but you apparently think you should be able to set the rules wherever you go.

If you refer to the filtering of the f-word as an "evil", then I have no help to offer you, and you are beyond the point of reasoning with.

I really don't need the headache of continuing this discussion, and everyone else "gets it", so please just either live by the rules or don't post anymore.  Thanks.