Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Idaho Powerball Winner

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 12 years ago by tg636.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lee's Summit, Mo.
United States
Member #6519
August 26, 2004
192 Posts
Posted: February 25, 2005, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Missouri frequently runs radio PB ads and during the last month or so the message has been that there are quite a few players who won't buy PB tickets until the jackpot gets high.  The ad points out that even when the jackpot is at the minimum, it's still a sizeable payout, just as getpaid just pointed out.  If there are many more of these low jackpot winners, players(skeptical players) are going to begin to talk.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8359 Posts
    Posted: February 25, 2005, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I'v had people say both things some like the big post and will only play the big pots. A few times i have said to people i'm going to DC to ge some powerball tickets anybody want me to get some for you. Na they reply its only 60 million i don't buy tickets until the pot gets up over a hundred mil.

I play mega regardless of the size of the pot. But a lot of people don't play it either unless the pot is over a 100 mill. There must be a certain ring to a hundred mil. That gets people fired up to play. I would be happy with any size pot. I could make due with a 10 mill pot.

kbcherokee's avatar - buffalo2
      Virginia
      United States
      Member #1712
      June 20, 2003
      1549 Posts
      Posted: February 25, 2005, 8:27 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by four4me on February 25, 2005

I'v had people say both things some like the big post and will only play the big pots. A few times i have said to people i'm going to DC to ge some powerball tickets anybody want me to get some for you. Na they reply its only 60 million i don't buy tickets until the pot gets up over a hundred mil.

I play mega regardless of the size of the pot. But a lot of people don't play it either unless the pot is over a 100 mill. There must be a certain ring to a hundred mil. That gets people fired up to play. I would be happy with any size pot. I could make due with a 10 mill pot.

$10M minus "Cash" Option = #5M minus State Tax = $350,000 = $4,650,000.00.

Now, if you can live with that, instead of $100,000,000.00 minus everthing, go for it...

To answer your question, I think that's why people wait for the "POT" to grow becauce of the large amount of $ that is taken away from you right off the bat.

Chief

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house. May  the Great Spirit bless all who enter there. May your mocassins make happy tracks in many snows. And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder.

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: February 25, 2005, 9:22 am - IP Logged

I would play Powerball at the starting jackpot level if Mega Millions wasn't right across the Mississippi from my town.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8359 Posts
          Posted: February 25, 2005, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Cheif i think the picture here is anybody that's not happy with 10 million shouldn't bother to play and my guess is many don't. If i'm living on x amount of dollars now, then x amount of more dollars would be just great. Sure i would like to win 100 mil or more and spend more when the pot is high trying to win. However if i won a small pot i would be contented that i would have extra income and could adjust my debt to ratio of income a litter higher. Regardless of the size of the pot won a person would still have to live within their means and not above it. Or they could end up back where they started.

United States
            Member #972
            December 30, 2002
            465 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2005, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

I am one of those people. $10 million, or even $4.65 million, is a tremendous amount of money that would put you in charge of your own life and let you do what you want when you want if you are fiscally sane.  To put it in perspective, most people would agree that someone making $100,000 a year is well off and making a lot of money. You would have to work 100 years at $100,000 a year to make $10 million. And yet some people scoff at a "small" jackpot? How much money do you have in the bank?

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on February 24, 2005

four4me:  Good call.  There's a significant population of lottery players who want the jackpots to be won more often - and don't really like the mega jackpots.  (More millionaires made; fewer mega-millionaires.)  That group of players must be happy with all this Powerball winning!