Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Most important stat ??

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 12 years ago by takeitez.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What do you think is the most important stat on the stat page?

Hit Ratio [ 12 ]  [66.67%]
Prize Ratio [ 6 ]  [33.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 18 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
takeitez's avatar - japheth
Carters Lake, Ga.
United States
Member #5313
June 29, 2004
1065 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2005, 8:35 am - IP Logged

Just wondering how others view the stats.

I think, hit ratio, different places pay different amounts.

Thanks for your input.

good luck

ez 

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........

Poway CA (San Diego County)
    United States
    Member #3489
    January 25, 2004
    14120 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2005, 10:21 am - IP Logged

If someone makes 100 predictions and 90 of them hit and are STRAIGHTS, that is much more important than someone that predicts 100 and 95 hit and are BOXES.  Therefore, the prize ratio is much more important.  Todd does not try to figure out what the payout would be in that state.  He has a fixed amount for straights, 3-way, 6-way, etc.  That way all states are treated equally.  Of course, if you bet online like most of us do, then you would get much more.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
      Beautiful Florida
      United States
      Member #5709
      July 18, 2004
      20115 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2005, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

to me the hit ratio would be more important. without the hit ratio you would'nt have to worry about the prize ratio. besides in my opinion 1/2 of something is better than "0"...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
        Member #3489
        January 25, 2004
        14120 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2005, 6:43 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on March 21, 2005

to me the hit ratio would be more important. without the hit ratio you would'nt have to worry about the prize ratio. besides in my opinion 1/2 of something is better than "0"...

I'm not talking about zero.  If you make 50 predictions and they all hit, but only box hits, and I predict 25 and they all hit, but all hit as straights, your predictions are better than mine??????

Sorry, I just can't figure that one out.

I'll stick with the prize ratio every time!!

United States
          Member #3489
          January 25, 2004
          14120 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2005, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

MadDog,

Here is a perfect example using YOUR stats:

California

Statistic  Current Month  Last Month  Current Year  Last Year  Lifetime 
            Pick 3
          Picks1,8252,7107,4858,49715,982
          Hits26256871139
              Hit Ratio1.42%0.92%0.91%0.84%0.87%
          Winnings$3,540$1,000$6,670$7,410$14,080
              Prize Ratio

Well, the prize ratio isn't showing, but this month you made 1,825 picks for California Pick 3.  You had only 26 winners...so looking at just the hit ratio (1.42%) that is not someone I would want to follow.  HOWEVER, the prize ratio is 198% (I think).  That means that with only those 26 wins you almost DOUBLED your investment.  To me that in the most important stat.

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
            Mid-Missouri
            United States
            Member #644
            August 31, 2002
            4271 Posts
            Posted: March 21, 2005, 7:06 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by CalifDude on March 21, 2005

If you make 50 predictions and they all hit, but only box hits, and I predict 25 and they all hit, but all hit as straights, your predictions are better than mine??????

All I know, is if either of you can hit like that I will be following you all to the store to buy me some tickets and I'll be buying the combo (all ways) tickets!! There won't be any important stats then. Of course, if you ain't hittin', I ain't winning.......anything. So, maybe hittin' is the most important... hmmm.... I'll have to get back to ya on that one....

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31353 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2005, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

hit ratio 

love to nibble those micey feet.

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
                Chicago,IL.
                United States
                Member #2902
                November 29, 2003
                1426 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2005, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

CD, If someone makes 100 predictions and 90 of them hit and are STRAIGHTS. I'm going to adopt them.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

United States
                  Member #3489
                  January 25, 2004
                  14120 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2005, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but those people that are saying they want the hit ratio would be missing the boat, fast eddie.

I'm still scratching my head on that one.  They want someone that has a lot of hits, rather than someone that has quality hits.  I will never understand that!!  But to each his own. 

United States
                    Member #3489
                    January 25, 2004
                    14120 Posts
                    Posted: March 21, 2005, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I can't quote Bryan's message.  Bryan, you are telling me you would rather have 50 box wins than 25 straight wins? 

I guess I will never figure it out!!

I taught numbers and numbering systems too long.  I assume that everyone understands numbers and that is certainly not the case!!

I will take the 25 straight wins every day over the 50 box wins. 

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                      Mid-Missouri
                      United States
                      Member #644
                      August 31, 2002
                      4271 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2005, 8:05 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by CalifDude on March 21, 2005

I can't quote Bryan's message.  Bryan, you are telling me you would rather have 50 box wins than 25 straight wins? 

I guess I will never figure it out!!

I taught numbers and numbering systems too long.  I assume that everyone understands numbers and that is certainly not the case!!

I will take the 25 straight wins every day over the 50 box wins. 

CD, you're wound to tight, I think you're over-thinking it....I was just playing...Basically, I was saying if either one of you can hit all your predictions, I'll be following you like a lost pup.

Yeah, I can see what you are saying but in a real world nobody is going to be hitting all their predictions. So, I would follow someone who could hit 4 boxed hits in a month versus some one who will hit one straight in a month. Just because the player who is hitting 4 times in a month is hitting boxed, doesn't mean I'll be play his numbers that way. You know what I mean?...So someone who is hitting more is more important to me than someone that hits less but gets more straights. Are you following me?.... If not, never mind... I think I've confused myself now... Now, look what you made me go and do.......

Bryan  :)

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                        Beautiful Florida
                        United States
                        Member #5709
                        July 18, 2004
                        20115 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2005, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

cd, i'm not disputing what you are saying in the slightest. realistically all i'm saying is that i could'nt count on hitting 90 out of 100 and all of the 90 being straight.  now to be real if you said 10 out of a 100 and they would be straight, o.k. but out of that 100 , 40 would be boxed, the amount would'nt be that much greater either way because everyone does'nt have the luxury of playing.( you know who)  sure it may be 1,000.00 to 1,500.00 . and it would depend on the persons style of play right?

and as far as graphics showing  someone  a certain state of hits (hit ratio)  1.42 vs 0.39, who would you follow???  maybe i'm not reading something in that question of which you would prefer, but in my opinion, i would still take the prize ratio... 

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
                          Member #3489
                          January 25, 2004
                          14120 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2005, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Maybe because I'm using such high numbers, people don't understand. 

Ok, you have Bill and Steve.  They both predict pick 3 numbers.  They each predict 50 numbers a day (5 days a week).  They are very consistent at their hits.  Bill always gets 10 correct picks a week, but they are always BOX wins.  Steve always gets 5 correct picks a week, but they are always STRAIGHT wins.  And, PLEASE, stop with the "well nobody would get that many, etc.".  This is only an example, for goodness sakes.

If you look at the hit ratio, Bill is doing twice as good as Steve.  Most of you say that the number of hits is the most important thing to you, so you would prefer the 10 wins from Bill.  If you looked at the prize ratio you would see that Steve has a better prize ratio.  He has made a lot more money than Bill with fewer wins.  Call me crazy, but Steve is the guy for me.  I know some of you can't understand my examples and will try to say, "But Steve won't always hit straights"!  Give me a large break.  I'm trying to show the difference between the hit ratio and the prize ratio, not trying to give a true example.  I did that already with Mad Dog's example.  He his hitting only 1.4% of his predictions in California, BUT his return is almost 200%.

United States
                            Member #3489
                            January 25, 2004
                            14120 Posts
                            Posted: March 21, 2005, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

cd, i'm not disputing what you are saying in the slightest. realistically all i'm saying is that i could'nt count on hitting 90 out of 100 and all of the 90 being straight.  now to be real if you said 10 out of a 100 and they would be straight, o.k. but out of that 100 , 40 would be boxed, the amount would'nt be that much greater either way because everyone does'nt have the luxury of playing.( you know who)  sure it may be 1,000.00 to 1,500.00 . and it would depend on the persons style of play right?

and as far as graphics showing  someone  a certain state of hits (hit ratio)  1.42 vs 0.39, who would you follow???  maybe i'm not reading something in that question of which you would prefer, but in my opinion, i would still take the prize ratio... 

Exactly, Mad Dog.  I want the prize ratio, too.  A hit ratio of 1.42 vs 0.39 tells me nothing about who is providing the QUALITY numbers (straights).  If someone gave you a set of numbers to play for the California Super Lotto, lets say 20...and you got 4 tickets with 3 correct, but I gave you 2 sets of numbers to play and you hit the $14 Million Jackpot, who had the QUALITY numbers??

Yes, Mad Dog, the prize ratio is the one!!

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                              Member #5599
                              July 13, 2004
                              1185 Posts
                              Posted: March 22, 2005, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Almost as important as a hit ratio would be a capture ratio. How many numbers do you get consistenly right? How often over time? It's also a good indicator of systems that are on the right track.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.