Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball changing, will you still play?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Powerball may get tougher to win will you still play?

Yes [ 13 ]  [59.09%]
No [ 6 ]  [27.27%]
not as much as before [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
Im going to play more than before [ 2 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
camden2004's avatar - yocco
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Member #6508
August 26, 2004
74 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2005, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

"The agency running the Powerball lottery may decrease the odds of winning the multimillion-dollar jackpot to stem a record-setting run of winners that is keeping jackpots small and, the agency says, causing ticket sales to plunge."

Ok like it was already hard to win on my part so now they are making it even harder?

Forget it, Im sticking with hotlotto!

One day it might come true.

United States
    Member #11339
    February 11, 2005
    10 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2005, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

It depends what's new rule in the future.

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2005, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

These games are supposed to be super hard to win.  That's why they have big jackpots.  That's just the way the lottery is.  Of course I'd still play if they increased the matrix.

ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
        Philadelphia, PA
        United States
        Member #11436
        February 13, 2005
        176 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2005, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I agree with ryanm.  As long as there is still a chance that for one dollar I could become incredibly rich, I'll still play.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2005, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

there is a hot run of winners right now,if they give it a chance it'll get back to normal,everthing goes in cycles,i mean if they start getting a lucky month in the pick five would they change it to make it harder?  no they wouldn't......i say leave powerball the way it is.....................

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2005, 5:31 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by ineed9million on March 22, 2005

I agree with ryanm.  As long as there is still a chance that for one dollar I could become incredibly rich, I'll still play.

My thoughts exactly. I don't spend tons of money to begin with, but the thought that a few dollars a week could give me millions will keep me playing.

Dance like no one is watching.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: March 22, 2005, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Personally, trying to "predict" which numbers will fall in a jackpot game with such a large matrix as Powerball already has is pretty near impossible. You can end up spending oodles on wheels and most of the time you're lucky if you get a lower tier prize or two.  Therefore, I play 2-3 bucks at most, and I just randomly pick 5 numbers from the white balls, then let the RNG pick the powerball.

It's only 2-3 bucks, and definitely have as good a chance as if I was trying to "force" certain numbers to fall. So for me, if they increase the matrix, I'll still spend 2-3 bucks. IF I were someone who really thought I could beat the 120 million  to 1 odds by predicting which numbers might fall and then spending hundreds on a wheel, that would likely be a different story. But since Powerball is just a crapshoot, yeah, I'll still play.  But I'm not going to play more than I already do.

As an aside, I've never figured out why people get cranky over "small" jackpots in Powerball. I mean, the smallest you can win is 10 million bucks !  You can't retire on 10M bucks after taxes? If not, then you got bigger problems.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Greenwich, CT
                United States
                Member #4793
                May 24, 2004
                1822 Posts
                Posted: March 22, 2005, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

A $10 million jackpot, gives you $3 million cash after taxes.  Maybe it's different in other parts of the country...but $3 million is not elite, nor is it fabulously wealthy, enough for a house or two, send your kids to school, that's about it.  You really need $100 million around NYC

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: March 22, 2005, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

As if the game is easy to win now. The jackpots aren't enough considering the current odds. $10 million in a state lottery like Washington would be great. I'd play it in a heart beat but for 120 million to one I expect a bigger prize. I can only hope they fix it soon and toss the stupid rules regarding record jackpots as well.

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2005, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, the record jackpot rule is stupid!  Like they're ever going to need it anyway at the rate the game is going!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                      Mcminnville, Oregon
                      United States
                      Member #3013
                      December 13, 2003
                      3047 Posts
                      Posted: March 22, 2005, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

When they change powerball this summer I hope they say so long to that match 5 bonus idea to slowing down jackpot growth for spreading prizes in lower levels.  That has to be one idea of powerball's that has me thinking what the hell were they thinking on that one!

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: March 22, 2005, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I'll play if the odds change.  I mightn't play if they take away the 5 match bonus mentioned in the previous post.  I don't believe odds have much to do with anything, but the Red Ball is a lot trickier, maybe impossible to predict.  I'd be gratified with the 100K prize, which I believe can be done a lot more easily.

Jack

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                          Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2741 Posts
                          Posted: March 23, 2005, 1:13 am - IP Logged

i'd definitely play, even if the price were raised to $2, even if they kept the match 5 bonus, even though i hate it, even if it's harder to win, even if they add a drawing... you know what i mean. the possibility of seeing enormous jackpots if worth it. also, there's going to be a day when lottery tickets start costing $5 and $10 a play. remember IN's Max 5?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #2338
                            September 17, 2003
                            2063 Posts
                            Posted: March 23, 2005, 1:26 am - IP Logged

I think a $2 ticket price is NOT what I want. Keeping the price at one dollar was something Megamillions got right. People would tolerate a change in the odds much better than a change in price. For instantance my mom rarely buys tickets. But if the jackpot gets really big she'll chip in a buck. I have a feeling there are a lot of players that only chip in $1 and those players really add up.

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: March 23, 2005, 9:23 am - IP Logged

I agree.  It would probably not help sales if they raised the ticket price to $2 AND raised the odds of winning.