Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 11:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Method of Choice

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 12 years ago by lottobrain.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What do you use to pick your numbers?

Retail Software? [ 8 ]  [14.55%]
Your Own Program? [ 8 ]  [14.55%]
Spread Sheet (Excel)? [ 7 ]  [12.73%]
Database (Access)? [ 2 ]  [3.64%]
Pencil and Paper? [ 20 ]  [36.36%]
Quick Pick? [ 5 ]  [9.09%]
Other? [ 5 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 55 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 18 ]  
JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
Member #5599
July 13, 2004
1192 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2005, 8:48 am - IP Logged

If you use a combination of the above, select what you feel is the most important or beneficial.

Any comments about what you feel is the best tool or combination of tools would be appreciated.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

SHTh's avatar - baby

United States
    Member #1959
    August 1, 2003
    42 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2005, 9:20 am - IP Logged

I used to use only Excel, via formulae and macros.

But in the last 6 weeks since I started filtering. I also use Nick Koutras' LottoStatisticsXL <excellent program, especially the trivia report>. In addition I've been forced to use the freebie number generators, not for lotto analysis but wheel generation only. I don't know enough code to do my own filtering.

9 years hunter, 17 weeks trapper. While the pursuits of hunting and trapping may be contiguous activities the ideology and actions involved are easily distinguishable.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
      Member #9517
      December 10, 2004
      1279 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2005, 9:37 am - IP Logged

At the moment I'm using spreadsheets.

The idea of implementing a self built database (Access or DataEase) to do the job sounds good.

SHTh's avatar - baby

United States
        Member #1959
        August 1, 2003
        42 Posts
        Posted: April 29, 2005, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Actually I do have code for standard filtering, but it would take me months to learn how to write code for sophisticated filtering demands.

My vote went to Spread Sheet (Excel).                    Usage= 90% Excel 10&% freeware.

NB. If I hadn't developed my Excel/VBA skills mainly with the support of the VB Lottery Gurus and the VB/Excel support community. I would have no choice, but to use lottery software. Even when I was only into predicting.
          BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3112 Posts
          Posted: April 30, 2005, 2:19 am - IP Logged

I would suggest you pay a visit to the Lottery Software Directory here
          http://www.lotto-logix.com/lottosoft.html

and download the free trial versions of Lotto Architect, Lotto Creo, Lotto Hat and see if Lotwin still has a lite or free older version. They have one that's free if you allow ads to be downloaded, I'd kinda shy away from that version.  Anyway, you should get a good idea what these programs can and can't do and use the ideas to devise your own filter collection or considering buying one if it would be really useful. 

There is a difference between building a wheel around filters and starting with a wheel and removing lines that don't pass the filters.  Once you remove a single line from a wheel you can be pulling as much as twenty percent out of the coverage, or less then 1%, the trouble is you don't know which it was. 

When you build around filters you have a conditional guarantee. If you guess the filters correctly you can have a 100% chance of winning the guaranteed prize.  BobP

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: April 30, 2005, 2:28 am - IP Logged

i always pick my own numbers and with pen and paper......

Mjure's avatar - starwars06
              Dallastown/PA
              United States
              Member #13034
              March 28, 2005
              24 Posts
              Posted: April 30, 2005, 2:38 am - IP Logged

Versabet beens good to me......Damn just missed LOTTOMIKE!

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: April 30, 2005, 7:48 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by Mjure on April 30, 2005

Versabet beens good to me......Damn just missed LOTTOMIKE!

thanks,its always good to be missed
                  JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                  Member #5599
                  July 13, 2004
                  1192 Posts
                  Posted: April 30, 2005, 9:13 am - IP Logged

I like using my own programs in conjunction with excel. You can try and test your ideas in a matter of minutes. If you want to back test your ideas or compare data in a way that is different than is generally available, it's all possble in a relatively quick manner. With the availability of Basic programs at a very reasonable price, it gives you flexibility to create the systems you want inexpensively.

I was really hoping that I would see more people that do programming so I could suggest to Todd that it deserved it's own topic. It would have been a great resource for developing new systems.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                    Tx
                    United States
                    Member #4570
                    May 4, 2004
                    5180 Posts
                    Posted: April 30, 2005, 11:15 am - IP Logged

I do think that a lottery programming forum would be good, but only if as you say there are enough people willing to use it.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: April 30, 2005, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

i tried the quick pick thing for a while then i realized i would rather be picking my own numbers if i'm gonna be spending on the lottery.....

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #1340
                        April 6, 2003
                        2450 Posts
                        Posted: May 1, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

I use excel 99% of the time... I can't really find anything in Access that makes it useful that can't be done in excel (sometimes with VBA macros). Mostly I like seeing everything on one sheet, this makes conditional formatting to check backtest results a snap. I have written a few VB programs, mostly for RNG, but never use them anymore.

There are 2 keys to any system (especially programming)

1. knowing what questions to ask

2. Interpreting the results

I'm still working on #1... :-(

I can say that I have never spent a dime on lottery software and never will... When I lose I like only having myself to blame ;-)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

lottoarchitect's avatar - waveform

Greece
                          Member #2815
                          November 18, 2003
                          502 Posts
                          Posted: May 1, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by BobP on April 30, 2005

There is a difference between building a wheel around filters and starting with a wheel and removing lines that don't pass the filters. Once you remove a single line from a wheel you can be pulling as much as twenty percent out of the coverage, or less then 1%, the trouble is you don't know which it was.

When you build around filters you have a conditional guarantee. If you guess the filters correctly you can have a 100% chance of winning the guaranteed prize.   BobP

True. Also building a wheel from filters always produces more lines than a typical abbreviated minimum wheel, assuming you want to achieve a certain guarantee. On the other hand, filtering an abbreviated wheel is not a good idea, coverage is vanished. Filtering is good only on full wheels, where each ticket is individually tested against the winning numbers and is not related to other tickets in the wheel. For abbreviated wheels, the best solution so far is to use an open-cover wheel, if someone wants to retain a high coverage ratio and play with more numbers or less tickets.

If you have something to do, at least do it well...

ExpertLotto's avatar - appicon
                            Trebic
                            Czech Republic
                            Member #8380
                            November 3, 2004
                            66 Posts
                            Posted: May 2, 2005, 4:06 am - IP Logged
                            Quote: Originally posted by lottoarchitect on May 1, 2005

Quote: Originally posted by BobP on April 30, 2005

There is a difference between building a wheel around filters and starting with a wheel and removing lines that don't pass the filters. Once you remove a single line from a wheel you can be pulling as much as twenty percent out of the coverage, or less then 1%, the trouble is you don't know which it was.

When you build around filters you have a conditional guarantee. If you guess the filters correctly you can have a 100% chance of winning the guaranteed prize.   BobP

True. Also building a wheel from filters always produces more lines than a typical abbreviated minimum wheel, assuming you want to achieve a certain guarantee. On the other hand, filtering an abbreviated wheel is not a good idea, coverage is vanished. Filtering is good only on full wheels, where each ticket is individually tested against the winning numbers and is not related to other tickets in the wheel. For abbreviated wheels, the best solution so far is to use an open-cover wheel, if someone wants to retain a high coverage ratio and play with more numbers or less tickets.

other option is to build a wheel from filters and then minimize the number of lines while maintaining the coverage. this way you'll get both - lines that passed all your filters and the maximum coverage with the minimum number of lines.

Expert Lotto Team

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3348 Posts
                              Posted: May 2, 2005, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Combination of intuition when it's working (sometimes  not), pencil and paper writing successive draws for the game I'm following on plain ruled paper, Lottery Post results page, Lotto Pro 2005 software to check statistics also quickly pull up game history also histories of comparable games, Lottery Post predictions page.  Use quick picks only if all else has failed.  Wheels are fine if you have a hunch about some of the numbers that may hit. 

Good luck to everyone!