Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 2:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions Jackpot Reset?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 12 years ago by danisiri.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Tx_Mega_Player's avatar - spider
BIG D Texas
United States
Member #2539
October 16, 2003
148 Posts
Posted: May 25, 2005, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

My initial thought was that it doesn't seem fair to the match 5 winner that wins when the jackpot rolls, but after thinking it over, I guess there really isn't anything particularly unfair about this process.

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: May 25, 2005, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Can you imagine if someone from California were to win that jackpot?  Californians would not have contributed much to it, but all the money would flow into their state.

Yeah, but you have to consider the consolation prize for everyone else of not having to be in California.  Some blessings just can't be counted in dollars.

Ahem.

Jack

danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
      Member #13684
      April 11, 2005
      77 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2005, 2:15 am - IP Logged

Can you imagine if someone from California were to win that jackpot?  Californians would not have contributed much to it, but all the money would flow into their state.

Yeah, but you have to consider the consolation prize for everyone else of not having to be in California.  Some blessings just can't be counted in dollars.

Ahem.

Jack

I posted the original question, because I live in California and am hoping to win the jackpot on day one!  True this state is not in the best shape financially, socially, governmentally, etc., but most of my family and friends are down here so I stick around.  Though of course, if I won the MM jackpot on day one, I may consider moving out of state, perhaps moving some of my family with me...if I happen to win the rolled-over $480 million MM jackpot that was estimated early in this thread!  It would be quite ironic given how a $400 million+ jackpot was predicted for MM once California joined.

Greenwich, CT
        United States
        Member #4793
        May 24, 2004
        1822 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2005, 2:17 am - IP Logged

The $480 million was my best guess.  I don't think anyone really knows because it's never happened before.

United States
          Member #13684
          April 11, 2005
          77 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2005, 9:12 am - IP Logged

True.  It has never happened before.  But there is always the first time!

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2005, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

Ahem.

Jack

I posted the original question, because I live in California and am hoping to win the jackpot on day one!  True this state is not in the best shape financially, socially, governmentally, etc., but most of my family and friends are down here so I stick around.  Though of course, if I won the MM jackpot on day one, I may consider moving out of state, perhaps moving some of my family with me...if I happen to win the rolled-over $480 million MM jackpot that was estimated early in this thread!  It would be quite ironic given how a $400 million+ jackpot was predicted for MM once California joined.

Good luck to you, then.  If it's costing $400+M to get out of CA these days there's going to be a lot of competition for that Jackpot.

I have some difficulties seeing any virtue to jackpots that size for most normal circumstances, but there are exceptions to everything. 

Jack

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: May 26, 2005, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

These are my jackpot predictions through the matrix change:

5/27: $80m

5/31: $93m

6/3: $112m

6/7: $132m

6/10: $158m

6/14: $185m

6/17: $230m

6/21: $300m

6/24: First drawing with Cali and the new matrix.  Without California, I think this jackpot could be $400 million....but all the hype of the first CA drawing could push it to $450-480m.

Of course who expects Mega Millions to rollover another eight times?

United States
                Member #13684
                April 11, 2005
                77 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2005, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Ahem.

Jack

Good luck to you, then.  If it's costing $400+M to get out of CA these days there's going to be a lot of competition for that Jackpot.

I have some difficulties seeing any virtue to jackpots that size for most normal circumstances, but there are exceptions to everything. 

Jack

I agree partly in that a jackpot too large really does not do a larger number of players any good.  But, I would rather that I win (or another fine member or two from this forum) and be a good steward with the money rather than for someone win who cannot handle the money and squanders it flippantly and become another lottery horror story.