Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

stages of education

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How much Schooling do you have

Ph.d or MD [ 5 ]  [7.69%]
MBA/graduate [ 9 ]  [13.85%]
College [ 37 ]  [56.92%]
High school [ 11 ]  [16.92%]
School of life [ 3 ]  [4.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 65 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
middle Georgia
United States
Member #1893
July 20, 2003
1868 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2005, 12:11 am - IP Logged

I completed two years of college 49 years ago ......my goodness, how time flies!!

Maggie

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
    Yinzer Country, PA
    United States
    Member #4067
    March 18, 2004
    2741 Posts
    Posted: June 9, 2005, 12:46 am - IP Logged

I'm about to finish my third year of college, my first as an RA and an SA, majoring in video production with a corrolary (minor) in history.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: June 9, 2005, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Jack, don't worry, I have been told by some that I don't have alot of common sense either. I think I have hindsight common sense. I don't know how many times I have done someting highly stupid and only after it was all over and the chips fell, I realized just how silly I had been. I try not to make the same mistake twice though and I suppose I have just enough sense to get by. -Bonnie

Hindsight common sense might be the best kind to have.  I've worked a fair amount on that one.... specifically on the issue of precisely when a person (me) ought to get up from a blackjack table and leave.

I'd like to see a book on that one.

Jack

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: June 9, 2005, 9:44 am - IP Logged

by the same token - lots of people with no degrees who are pathetic human beings.

Some of the sorriest people I've ever met had advanced degrees, BAs and BSs, HS diplomas, or quit school without finishing.

That leads me to believe education might be a key factor in whether a person has any worth as a human being.

Most of those same sorry individuals were either fabulously wealthy, moderately wealthy, well-to-do, average, living hand to mouth, or living under a bridge.  Which causes me to add financial status as one of the cornerstones to being a worthy human being.

The third corner is pegged down by religion.  Those same individuals who fell into one or another educational and financial catagory tended to believe one thing or another about God and religion.

The finer people I've known were similar in those regards.

So I'd say if a person wants to be a better person (or a sorrier one) he definitely ought to have a level of education, a financial status and some thoughts one way or another about religion and God.

Jack

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: June 9, 2005, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Four4me:

I'm not certain I've ever met anyone who believed he didn't have all the common sense he needed.  The shortages of it are mostly what we observe in other people.

I don't have much of it, but I don't regret the loss.  I'd like to see a book of the sort you're going to write.

Jack

When i said I'd like to write a book about it. But i don't think many people will get it. i didn't mean buy it. it's a joke (won't get it.) That's the main thing about common sense. Most people don't have a clue as to what common sense is.
          They jump into things without the expertise, forethought or knowledge of the task at hand. often times creating a bigger problem than the one they attempted to solve.
          An example is My brother and nephew both at different times tried to saw through some wood with a circular saw. My brother went on a handyman job to help out a buddy they pulled and extension cord got on a roof and he started cutting through the roof in less than 30 seconds he sawed straight through the cord a brand new saw mind you, mine which he destroyed put it back in the box and laid it in my work area. Right next to and old circular saw which was still working but the bearings were going bad. Now common sense would have told him not to take my stuff without asking. not trying to saw through 5 layers of roofing material with a new saw. Place the cord behind himself and not in front.
          On top of it he put the saw back in the new box and said he didn't know how the saw got destroyed. My nephew cut through the cord also within 3 minutes of starting a job only it was his haw he broke. Outside of seeing someone else use power tool these guy never used any kinds of them and had no business using one without some kind of supervision. luckily they weren't injured or killed. My brother was almost thrown off the roof when the cord became tangled in his leg and the saw as it was being wrapped around the arbor of the saw until the power stopped.
          The main thing about common sense is having tried something and failed learning from your mistakes and other peoples mistakes. And doing the same things over and over till you get them right. Then you build a knowledge base that says to your inner self before you start something your not sure you can handle to get some advice before jumping into something that might cause a bigger problem down the road.
          i could site a few hundred or more occurrences of common sense examples. They run the same as Murphy's laws. Like anything that can go wrong will. If you are working on your car and drop a tool it will roll under the middle of the car and not in front by your feet etc. ect.
            New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: June 9, 2005, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Four4me:

A lot of what happened to your saw involved something I'd call 'ethics', rather than common sense.  But it also sounds as though neither of those guys knew enough to get up to the level of having common sense.

I'd put common sense with power tools more into the arena of something that happened to my left forefinger and thumb a long time ago.

I was a pretty fair-to-middling woodworker, had a good shop in the garage.  Used all manner of power tools a lot.  I had a lot of respect for jointers because an old cabinet-maker I knew who had all stubs for fingers (who advised me to take that guard off, first thing after I bought the jointer), explained without intending to, just what can happen with that tool.  (I didn't take the guard off, thank goodness)

One day I was working.... just getting a piece of oak 4x4 shaved off a bit... piece of work maybe a foot long.  An awkward length..  I held it down first with a piece of wood, but it kicked back on me as it got to the blade ..."wow... this is dangerous" thinks I.... tried it again, kicked back again "This is totally stupid" says I to myself "gonna get myself hurt".... so I held it down with my thumb and forefinger and tried again. 

The block shot out from under my thumb and forefinger, chopped of a piece of each above the joint, but the guard saved me from the rest of my stupidity.... I have scars, but intact fingers.

If there was any common sense in that, it was in not following the advice to take off the guard.  Everything else was the antithesis of common sense, but in a man who knew what he was doing and did it anyway.

That's the kind of common sense that evidently escaped my cabinet maker bud, but I managed to learn something from, so I could proceed not to have common sense in other things.

But mostly, I agree with you,

Jack

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: June 9, 2005, 3:08 pm - IP Logged
              Of course it goes deeper than that. common sense is inherited in some people i think, but not others. My mother used to say she could talk to people for 5 minutes and know if they had common sense or not. Some astrological signs have more common sense than others i think. People develop common sense by trial and error. I think after you fail at some things, by doing the same task over and over you develop the beginnings of a common sense approach to things. A lot of people do stupid things but common sense is only a small part of it. My brother would have continued to try and run the piece of wood through the jointer even after he got hurt. It wouldn't occur to him to turn the piece over or around to the proper grain side of the wood.
              Glad to hear that you are intact and didn't loose any fingers. I know lots of people whom have lost fingers and tips. When i have time i'll write something about common sense or what i perceive to be common sense and send it to a Pm or start a blog.
                MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                Member #9517
                December 10, 2004
                1272 Posts
                Posted: June 15, 2005, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

I'm a college dropout.

I do have plans to finish the degree. Perhaps before I reach 50...

perth western australia
                  Australia
                  Member #18099
                  July 5, 2005
                  17 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2005, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Whats school/college?????

is that like where u dress up ??????

kiddin ya all.

Im no roket scientist but I do like a good gawk :)

from Kangaroo Land with luv xx

SirMetro's avatar - center
                    East of Atlanta
                    United States
                    Member #6191
                    August 11, 2004
                    1389 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2005, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Hummm....nobody listed Tech School Unhappy

I pretty much brown nosed me way thru high school.

Went to Tech school, got a little piece of paper that said I could almost draw a straight line.

Tried going to real College at night for a few years. Was taking one class per quarter. Did kinda bad (passed by the skin of my very brown nose thanks to a very kind Professor). College sent me a note suggesting I lighten my course load. Since I was only taking a single class. I didn't go back. College then sent me a letter asking where I been. I sent them a copy of the first letter along with a copy of my class schedule. Have not heard from that College since.Jester

Actually spent 15 years drawing lots of straight lines.

Owned my own business, lost all my moneyCrying

Met the Love of my life that is actually crazy enough to have stayed with me for 7 years now (as of Sunday). BTW, I was already broke by time she found me.

Now, I manipulate numbers and calculate selling price to do work in the construction industry. I guess I do ok, Boss keeps giving me a paycheck (without extra deductions) each week. I have noticed help wanted ad's for the position I have requiring MBAs, BA's and other fancy degrees I will never have time to get.

And I play with lottery numbers and do some programming in Excel for relaxation. And if I am lucky, I will eventually understand why it is that 1 + 1 = 2 instead of 3 or more (hey, 1 man plus 1 woman can equal 3 or more if there are twins).

Sir Metro

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8360 Posts
                      Posted: July 11, 2005, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

I went to trade schools for carpentry in the 70's then OJT for all trades construction. Then during the 80's went to machinist school and got my apprenticship papers for machinist. Afterward went to night college for CNC mchining and OJT. In six yrs worked my way up to night supervisor and finally night shift manager. Cnc machining is one of the wildest jobs out there for the manufacturing industry. Awesome tooling and never a dull moment. Now i am enjoying my time doing the couch potato thing. Now i am thinking about learning another skill/trade or developing some kind of buisness that i can manage that woln't be to stressfull.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: July 27, 2005, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I twice started college.

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: July 27, 2005, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Excelsior College in Rochester has a good, accredited externa degree progam.  So does SUNY.  They'll allow you to test out on all manner of subjects if you've gotten some expertise in a non-academic way.

J

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: July 29, 2005, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Aren't there Sunys in Iraq?

New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #12305
                              March 10, 2005
                              2984 Posts
                              Posted: July 29, 2005, 9:43 am - IP Logged

There are Sunnis in Iraq.  Forget what I mentioned.  It ain't gonna help.

Jack