Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Mega Millions rules

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2005, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Just another thing I noticed.  Have you guys noticed on all the lotteries websites for the new Mega Millions prize structure that they are emphazising the pari-mutual rule.  They must expect it to happen more often for all the states then with any previous game.  I know the previous games had stipulations in the rules that they could be para-mutual but never seen it advertised that much.  What do you think?

Brad

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2005, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Ohio Rule 3770:1-9-250 section 14 explains the MegaMillions cap this way.

(14) -  As based on pool sales, should total prize liabilities for the prize levels described in paragraphs (D)(1) through (D)(8) of this rule exceed the liability cap agreed upon by the directors, then that liability cap may be enforced for the payment of the prize awards set forth in paragraphs (D)(5) through (D)(8) of this rule. In the event the liability cap is exceeded, then the prizes set forth in paragraphs (D)(5) through (D)(8) of this rule shall be paid on a pari-mutuel rather than fixed prize basis, provided, however, that in no event shall the pari-mutuel prizes be greater than the applicable fixed prizes. The amount to be used for allocation of such pari-mutuel prizes shall be the liability cap less the amount paid for the grand prize jackpot and any of the four lowest tiered prizes as set forth in paragraphs (D)(1) through (D)(4) of this rule. The Ohio director shall make the amount of the liability cap available to the public via the Ohio lottery website and any other means that the Ohio director deems appropriate.

Apparently the four lower levels 2+1=$10, 3+0=$7, 1+1=$3 and 0+1=$2 are fixed and everything else is adjustable in Ohio.  Other States have their own rules for example,California has pari-mutuel prizes for all levels so your actually winnings will depend on the State in which you play.

RJOh

P.S. I could not find the amount of that prize cap posted anywhere.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: June 26, 2005, 4:58 am - IP Logged

Pari-mutuel prizes are best if there are fewer winners and high sales for California.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2005, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Pari-mutuel prizes are best if there are fewer winners and high sales for California.

That may be true in California, however other States only go pari-mutuel when it will reduce their liability and payout the fixed amount when they only have a few top prize winners regardless of sales.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2005, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Yeah, the other states have a prize liability cap of the lower of 300% of draw sales or 50% of draw sales + $50 million.

MollyG's avatar - happy
            TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
            United States
            Member #9019
            November 25, 2004
            523 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2005, 7:35 am - IP Logged

http://lottoreport.com/results.htm

The URL above is from a lady in Texas.  She has kept up with Texas lottery for years, and also lists MM and PB on this page.  She has the winners, broken down by tier....including California.  You can see their payouts, compared to other states.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2005, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

I suspect that if I ever hit a wheel (I wheel all Mega numbers) instead of 250k i would only get 80k or less since Washington's sales are so low.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                USA
                United States
                Member #8242
                October 29, 2004
                1133 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

For sure. Very well before the 1st draw, I said it in a thread about dual jackpot wins in same draw after CA joins.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                  Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2005, 7:31 am - IP Logged

it very well could happen...