Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

175,711,536 possible MM combination

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 11 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Dream's avatar - dragon1

United States
Member #2399
September 28, 2003
143 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2005, 12:51 am - IP Logged

There are 175,711,536 possible MM combination. Two drawing per week. Fifty two weeks. 104 drawings per year. One hundred four combinations. Now you do the math how long it will take to cover all possibilities that is if the combinations do not repeat. I wish I was immortal. But even if I was, after 1,689,534 years there would not be lottery or humans. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2005, 1:55 am - IP Logged

There are 175,711,536 possible MegaMillions combinations and according the lottery websites of California and New York 32¢ of every ticket sale goes into the jackpot.  That means every time the MM jackpot cash value increases by $56,227,691.52, another 175,711,536 tickets have been sold.  The estimated cash value of the $122M jackpot is $74,526,628.00, you do the math.

RJOh

P.S. Most lotteries matrix change before they had a chance to to draw more than 5% of their possible combinations and the ones that don't start repeating a winning combinations  once in a while at about that point.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2005, 3:06 am - IP Logged

I but remember, it's not 0 in 175,711536. It's 1 in 175,711,536. It's unlikely, but you could get that 1 combination.

(insert signature here)

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2005, 3:17 am - IP Logged

anything is possible.what would be really insane is if a person had some numbers pop in their head like say 11-18-25-32-40---8  and they walked in the store and played those and then they hit.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2005, 5:05 am - IP Logged

If they had played those numbers in the old PowerBall back on 08/27/94, they would have come close to winning the jackpot.Banana

RJOh

Evil Looking       

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2005, 5:12 am - IP Logged

now that i think about it wouldn't it be wierd if a person thought up some numbers and then they actually did hit like six months before but the person never realized it.

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: July 15, 2005, 10:46 am - IP Logged

I but remember, it's not 0 in 175,711536. It's 1 in 175,711,536. It's unlikely, but you could get that 1 combination.

Yeah, someone has to win the jackpot eventually.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: July 15, 2005, 11:06 am - IP Logged

When the old Maybelle website was active, there was a member by the name of Lucky Duck who had a standard list of 25 pick3 numbers that he posted everyday and said they would hit some where every day and every day he would post a list of 5-8 states where he had gotten a box or straight hit in the mid-day of evening drawings the day before.  Point was that almost any combination would win something if the time and place were right, he just never knew the time or place until after the drawing.

Evil Looking       

Dream's avatar - dragon1

United States
                  Member #2399
                  September 28, 2003
                  143 Posts
                  Posted: July 15, 2005, 11:09 am - IP Logged

There are 175,711,536 possible MegaMillions combinations and according the lottery websites of California and New York 32¢ of every ticket sale goes into the jackpot.  That means every time the MM jackpot cash value increases by $56,227,691.52, another 175,711,536 tickets have been sold.  The estimated cash value of the $122M jackpot is $74,526,628.00, you do the math.

RJOh

P.S. Most lotteries matrix change before they had a chance to to draw more than 5% of their possible combinations and the ones that don't start repeating a winning combinations  once in a while at about that point.

Yes, u right, but u can not even cover the cost of less then 1% of all combinations. But to go through all the possibilities it will take 1,689,534 years one combination per drawing per one  player. All the possible combinations could be sold at one drawing, but that does not mean u will have the ONE . The ONE could take many many years to hit. It could be today for you, or the last possible combination in 1,689,534 years. Playing 1-2-3-4-5 and 6 could come up in 1,689,534 years or tonight

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19830 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2005, 11:19 am - IP Logged

01 02 04 05 46  +08 came up 09/20/02, so anything possible.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8363 Posts
                      Posted: July 15, 2005, 11:23 am - IP Logged

or by the same token you didn't want to wait that long and decided to buy all the winning combinations for say a 250 million dollar jackpot. ( they woln't let you do that) (but for tickles and grins) say you could. There is a strong possibility that someone might get a winning quick pick. Thereby causing you to have to split the jackpot.

twisted's avatar - underground
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #2376
                        September 25, 2003
                        582 Posts
                        Posted: July 15, 2005, 11:41 am - IP Logged

or by the same token you didn't want to wait that long and decided to buy all the winning combinations for say a 250 million dollar jackpot. ( they woln't let you do that) (but for tickles and grins) say you could. There is a strong possibility that someone might get a winning quick pick. Thereby causing you to have to split the jackpot.

What is their reason behind not letting you buy all the winning combinations? Is it because if someone actually wins that way, by spending $150 million dollars, to win for example a cash value of $250 million which would lead to about $155 million after tax (in a no state tax on lottery winnings state) you could actually use the other almost $150 million loosing lottery tickets for tax break? That would give a profit of almost $5 million dollars.

United States
                          Member #16612
                          June 2, 2005
                          3493 Posts
                          Posted: July 15, 2005, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I think the odds of 175,711,536 combinations to get 1 winning ticket, someone has to win soon. However, most people would get 2+0, 1+0, and 0+0, so MM profits. How many combinations does it take to get 0+0, 1+0, and 2+0, assuming if it's a 5/56+1/46?

FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #5364
                            July 1, 2004
                            88 Posts
                            Posted: July 15, 2005, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

There are 175,711,536 possible MM combination. Two drawing per week. Fifty two weeks. 104 drawings per year. One hundred four combinations. Now you do the math how long it will take to cover all possibilities that is if the combinations do not repeat. I wish I was immortal. But even if I was, after 1,689,534 years there would not be lottery or humans. 

I'm amazed all this time I thought it was 176 Million to 1. It's only 175 Million to one I guess now I have an even better chance of winning then before!

Jack-in-the-Box 

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: July 15, 2005, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

What is their reason behind not letting you buy all the winning combinations? Is it because if someone actually wins that way, by spending $150 million dollars, to win for example a cash value of $250 million which would lead to about $155 million after tax (in a no state tax on lottery winnings state) you could actually use the other almost $150 million loosing lottery tickets for tax break? That would give a profit of almost $5 million dollars.

I don't think four4me is saying that there's a specific rule against it, he's just saying it's not possible with the way you're required to purchase tickets.  In order for one to purchase all the combinations, one would need 35,142,308 play slips.  There's just simply not enough time for anyone to process all those slips between drawings.  Not to mention they must be marked manually and that would take forever.