Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Someone might have won MM

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
bobby623's avatar - abstract
San Angelo, Texas
United States
Member #1097
January 31, 2003
1405 Posts
Posted: July 24, 2005, 10:16 am - IP Logged

12 lottery directors are no doubt crying in their beer. They figured the new odds, 1-177 million, would ensure a long string of no wins and really big jackpots.

I'm no math expert, but seems to me that history shows that millions of the many million combinations in just about every lottery game never show up. That could be the reason why there was a winning ticket among the 30 million total tickets sold.

There were 13 5+0 tickets sold.

Bottom line, the obscene jackpots the MM folks want may not come as often as they had hoped.

Personally, I thought the winning ticket would be sold in California.

middle Georgia
    United States
    Member #1893
    July 20, 2003
    1868 Posts
    Posted: July 24, 2005, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Drawing Results for July 22, 2005
    MEGA MILLIONS
    7 - 18 - 27 - 35 -54  &  34 (Mega Ball)

Number of WinnersPrize Amount
    5/5 + Mega Ball1Est. $170 million
    5/52$250,000
    4/5 + Mega Ball7$10,000
    4/5233$150
    3/5 + Mega Ball252$150
    2/5 + Mega Ball3,851$10
    3/511,317$7
    1/5 + Mega Ball24,074$3
    0/5 + Mega Ball44,053$2

There was 1 Mega Millions jackpot winning ticket sold for this drawing.
    The winning ticket was sold in Ohio.

The Mega Millions jackpot for the next drawing
    is estimated at $12 million.

The above information reflects Georgia winners only, with the exception
    of the jackpot prize level that reflects jackpot winners from any Mega Millions state.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23350 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2005, 11:11 am - IP Logged

For the best all-in-one snapshot of the prize winners in each category, check out the USA Mega Drawing Information page.  It has everything about the drawing on one page.  You go to the Previous Results page, the click on the drawing you want to look at.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2005, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

12 lottery directors are no doubt crying in their beer. They figured the new odds, 1-177 million, would ensure a long string of no wins and really big jackpots.

I'm no math expert, but seems to me that history shows that millions of the many million combinations in just about every lottery game never show up. That could be the reason why there was a winning ticket among the 30 million total tickets sold.

Bottom line, the obscene jackpots the MM folks want may not come as often as they had hoped.

Yep, if it happened to Powerball, it could happen to Mega Millions.  Those lottery directors are only lucky that the MM players aren't quite as lucky as the PB players.

middle Georgia
          United States
          Member #1893
          July 20, 2003
          1868 Posts
          Posted: July 24, 2005, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

Hey Todd,

Thanks for the info.  I am so NOT computer savy, but you have just taught        an "old dog a new trick."  Wink

Thanks again,

Maggie

Tx_Mega_Player's avatar - spider
            BIG D Texas
            United States
            Member #2539
            October 16, 2003
            148 Posts
            Posted: July 24, 2005, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Yep, if it happened to Powerball, it could happen to Mega Millions.  Those lottery directors are only lucky that the MM players aren't quite as lucky as the PB players.

I doubt any of those lottery directors are crying. Their lotteries all made a ton of money on this run. And they all know that bigger jackpots lay ahead. Their goal is to have very high jackpots occasionally, not everytime, so I wouldn't be so quick to call this run a failure. They got exactly what the wanted. Having a winner at 170M shows everyone that the odds are not "insurmountable", and that it's still possible to win. It's my guess that they would love to see two or three similar runs before having the jackpot reach record levels. If the jackpot were to reach record levels on the first run it would just drive home the point of how hard it will now be to win...

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: July 24, 2005, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Yep, remember it's 1 in 175,711,536, not 0 in 175,711,536.  Players play to win, not to raise the jackpot.