Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The end of one-sentence posts

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 11 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23259 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2005, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

As many people have noticed in my Blog, I am turning over a new leaf when it comes to forum postings.

No longer will the forums be cluttered with non-valuable, single-sentence forum posts.

If you want to post single-sentence messages (other than the occasional and appropriate "I agree"), do so in your Blog, not in the forums.  If you continue posting this kind of thing in the forums, your messages will be silently deleted.

Also, nobody should be posting "I agree" to every post they agree with.  If you posted "I agree" 15 times today, then you've already agreed to everything there is to agree with, so there's no need to keep agreeing with the same things over and over.  ENOUGH.

I did not create this site so people could play childish games of "see who can get the last word", or "see who can post the most messages."

If you have a point, make it once, and make it a complete thoughtful post.  People will see it, and understand your viewpoint if you post once.

I am through dancing around this topic, trying not to offend anyone.  Don't write me a sob story saying that I'm picking on you.

By the way, this is not indended towards those who dwell mainly in the Pick 3 forum.  People in that forum seem, for the most part, to be very seriously engaged in relevant lottery discussions.  I'm talking mainly about a few people who post so many rapid-fire one-line messages that they fill up an entire Active Topics page.  And not one of those posts is a new idea, just recycled one-line sentences.

If anyone is offended by this, then I'll tell you that I'm offended by your misuse of my hospitality and my web site.

I like you all personally, but this is business.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
    USA
    United States
    Member #8242
    October 29, 2004
    1133 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2005, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Todd: If anyone is offended by this, then I'll tell you that I'm offended by your misuse of my hospitality and my web site.

Well said.

To Lotteries: Stop recording our # combinations, and figure out another way to rollover the $$$.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
      Beautiful Florida
      United States
      Member #5709
      July 18, 2004
      20106 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2005, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

If anyone is offended by this, then I'll tell you that I'm offended by your misuse of my hospitality and my web site.

What took so long.  Thank you...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31339 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2005, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

thank you todd - high time  Thumbs Up  i would also love to see posters on cash 3 combine states - no need for a seperate post for each state.  post on prediction page or in blog. 

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2005, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

This is so much business Todd. I'll have to remember to increase the number of sentences or put it on a blog or predict numbers. I'll have to increase my sentences and I agree with this.

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: August 5, 2005, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I have a feeling you have targeting one member inparticular. But I don't care, something needed to be done and you're doing it. Kudos.

(insert signature here)

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2005, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd:

I've sometimes wondered how much storage all this takes up.  I'd imagine it's enormous.

I think you've shown a lot of patience on this issue and a lot of others.  It's clear from the comment by Just6ntlc that it's already considered a method of targeting certain members (him/her), which is ludicrous.  What's targeted is a behavior indulged more by some members than others.  If you want that behavior to cease you've chosen a means of stopping it, and you've announced your intentions and the reason for your intentions.  Nothing more needs saying.

Which ain't going to stop me from saying that the extended comment by Just6ntlc ought to give you a bead on the balancing act you're going to discover among certain members with an addiction for the type of behavior you're trying to stop.  I gather it's not the single-sentence post you're attempting to judiciously and thoughtfully halt.  It's the repeated, vacuous posts.  And for some reason there's evidently a bias on the part of some posters in favor of that type of communication.

For anyone who prefers not to read posts by any member you've provided the BLOCK feature.  I use that feature, and I believe anyone who's bothered to complain about this type of post would be doing him/herself a service and relieving you of a lot of work if they'd use it.  The only shortcoming I'm aware of in that feature is that a person is still notified by email if one of the people on the block list makes a post, which then requires revisiting the thread on pain of not receiving emails for future posts to the thread.

I've already said I have posters on my BLOCK list.  I'd imagine I'm on some BLOCK lists, as well.  Anyone on this board who'd rather not read my posts should consider this a written invitation to go to your Buddy/Block list and add my name there.  I'd be wounded to know there are people reading my posts who feel it's a chore.

Jack

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23259 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2005, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Actually, Jack, you're not on any block list, nor could I imagine a situation where someone would want to.

Thanks for the reminder about adding the e-mail notification block as well.  I'll get to work on it.

Because you've pondered the LP database storage size, I'll tell you.  It currently takes up about 4 Gigabytes of space, which is actually somewhat reasonable, given the millions of records that it holds.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Bluegrass's avatar - nw archer.jpg
                  Killer's Cove
                  United States
                  Member #57
                  December 17, 2001
                  5625 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2005, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Todd, many thanks !  Bob

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2005, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

What took so long.  Thank you...!

i agree with maddog on this,its about time!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5114 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2005, 5:06 am - IP Logged

Actually, Jack, you're not on any block list, nor could I imagine a situation where someone would want to.

Thanks for the reminder about adding the e-mail notification block as well.  I'll get to work on it.

Because you've pondered the LP database storage size, I'll tell you.  It currently takes up about 4 Gigabytes of space, which is actually somewhat reasonable, given the millions of records that it holds.

**L@@K**.........TODD........THANKsssssssssssssss.......for........20,000THun!

Hope..........my posting have not confused anyoeeeeee.............I apoliggge,

if people, donot understand................$$$$$$99 P/cent of my...THANHsssss

YOU have a GREAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>point............can't add much.............,,

lately,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cause I have been buying QP's but support all MEMBERS..

of this SITE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL

PSYKOMO 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2005, 6:46 am - IP Logged

i look forward to seeing how this works.i post many topics and polls and though some are interesting and get lots of replies some don't and thats ok.i love the lottery and i always look forward to reading others comments on a variety of different topics.you are right it does get annoying with the one word sentences and as one member put it "posting rampages" lol.lets just hope the person or persons don't get POST WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME.lol,had to throw a lil humor in the thread.

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
                          Member #2673
                          November 2, 2003
                          497 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2005, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd,

You have created one of the best sites on the web. It is not fair to the members and especially to you to have a small number of people diminish your hard work.

You are never too quick to respond and when you do respond, the ideas presented are always well thought out.

Congratulations!

I hope it works out.

Good luck,
                          Jake

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2005, 11:21 am - IP Logged

thank you todd - high time  Thumbs Up  i would also love to see posters on cash 3 combine states - no need for a seperate post for each state.  post on prediction page or in blog. 

Emily,

I am not going to run a post for each state any more. I believe everyone here has the *know how* to work the system that I am using.  I ran it past my  11 year old niece, who was able to work each state out on hand for me.  She even picked the winning numbers for me.  Too, bad , she doesn't live here.

I am going to do my tracking of each state here at my desk and play accordlingly. I will pm those of you who like the system when something like trips or doubles are due for their state. (if I dont forget)

I know you were not only directing this comment to me. There are others who post per state. Which makes it easier to update as draws go by. 

Hopefully, they too, will quit posting for individual states and find another way to play their game with out bothering you.

Best wishes to you and your wins ...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Winner2Be's avatar - diva
                              Charleston
                              United States
                              Member #1990
                              August 5, 2003
                              1675 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2005, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Todd you are the man!!! Thanks for putting an end to this...hopefully!!! LOL As far as making all states combined on the pick 3 forum; I personally feel it depends on the situation.  I  play many states; however if I was one who played a particular state I would not want to go plowing through one thread looking just to see if my state is even listed in that particular thread or not.  For that recommendation, again I feel it depends on the situation. I do agree with Emily in regards to posts "if one is..." :if one is... and so forth; that's a bit much, I agree because a few people are now doing this and it's an overkill now. I like the way Lucky combined all the states in one thread.  So now, that I thought about it some more I see where Emily is going with that suggestion. Right on Emily!!! Big Grin Angel  It's not Poke on one, but it's frustrating at times because often the information can be said in one thread like Lucky, especially if it's information that one updates daily. I like the fact that Lucky also now refer others the blog area. Good Luck to ALL!!!

Sometimes the Heart can see what the eyes cannot.