Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 1:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

There Are A Few Good Ones In NY

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by JimmySand9.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2005, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

If you play scratch-offs in New York, you'll notice that the odds usually pretty long for scratch-offs. Even the most expensive tickets can have 1 in 5 odds, which is a total-ripoff. And on a less scathing note, many games lack the option to take your payment in cash. But there are a couple of games that are worth buying. And they're all just a $1.

Instant Take Five - This game has one of the best cash prize odds in New York. But it also has a Take Five quick pick prize, which lowers the overall odds to around 1 in 2.5, which is unheard of in even the best lotteries. If you play one scratcher in Northeast, make it this one (unless you have to win a lot of money, for which I'd reccomend CT's $1,000,000 Hullabaloo or whatever that $30 game is).

Lucky 7's - This game appears to be one that's been around a while. 1 in 4.7 overall odds are pretty good for New York. And you have a 1 in 41.6 chance at $7 too, which is not that bad at all.

Loose Change, All About The Bens, and Run For Cash all have odds below 1 in 5 too.

(insert signature here)

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2005, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

why are the odds like that in new york?  are they that bad in every state?  i can see why people would avoid playing the scratch offs there in NY if it was hard to ever win anything....

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
      North Dakota
      United States
      Member #13397
      April 5, 2005
      1623 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2005, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Does NY have free tickets?  Some states have higher odds (like KY) because they don't have free tickets on some games.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2005, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

No, New York doesn't have Free Tickets. But still, 1 in 5 is rediculous. PA doesn't give out Free Tickets as prizes, but the odds never exceed 1 in 5, so there really is no excuse.

(insert signature here)

North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2005, 2:07 am - IP Logged

Free tickets don't really bother me like they do some people.  I try to save all my free tickets.  One time I had saved up enought tickets to buy a book of Jumbo Bucks.  Needless to say the store manager wasn't happy at all.  I came out with a $75 win and 3 $20 wins.  A lot of $5 and $10 wins also.  I think I have $100 saved up right now in free tickets.  Next time I might buy a book of $10 tickets. 

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2005, 2:15 am - IP Logged

Free tickets don't really bother me like they do some people.  I try to save all my free tickets.  One time I had saved up enought tickets to buy a book of Jumbo Bucks.  Needless to say the store manager wasn't happy at all.  I came out with a $75 win and 3 $20 wins.  A lot of $5 and $10 wins also.  I think I have $100 saved up right now in free tickets.  Next time I might buy a book of $10 tickets. 

A book of tickets. Wow. That would be sweet to have. Would sure increase your odds of breaking even those losing tickets.

(insert signature here)

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2005, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

While NY's annuity-only scratch games make the state look bad, Instant Take Five probably is the BEST scratch game offered by any state. Now if Take Five can be changed to a jackpot game...

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2005, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

If you play scratch-offs in New York, you'll notice that the odds usually pretty long for scratch-offs. Even the most expensive tickets can have 1 in 5 odds, which is a total-ripoff. And on a less scathing note, many games lack the option to take your payment in cash. But there are a couple of games that are worth buying. And they're all just a $1.

Instant Take Five - This game has one of the best cash prize odds in New York. But it also has a Take Five quick pick prize, which lowers the overall odds to around 1 in 2.5, which is unheard of in even the best lotteries. If you play one scratcher in Northeast, make it this one (unless you have to win a lot of money, for which I'd reccomend CT's $1,000,000 Hullabaloo or whatever that $30 game is).

Lucky 7's - This game appears to be one that's been around a while. 1 in 4.7 overall odds are pretty good for New York. And you have a 1 in 41.6 chance at $7 too, which is not that bad at all.

Loose Change, All About The Bens, and Run For Cash all have odds below 1 in 5 too.

I'm confused: You state that 1 in 5 is a total ripoff, yet 1 in 4.7 are pretty good. Hows does .3 make that wide a spread in definition?

I personally feel any scratch off is a loser. I see them by the hundreds on the ground around every lottery store. I see people buying them like crazy, but see a rare 5 to ten posted on the alls as a winner (supposed to be incentive to buy more).

I like them even less after an article was published showing how the store can slide them through the reader and know which are winners and which are losers. That scared me off any thought of scratch offs.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

North Dakota
                  United States
                  Member #13397
                  April 5, 2005
                  1623 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2005, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

In TN we have a lot of winners IMO.  Everywhere you go you will see $500 winners and even $1000 and $5,000 winners hanging up.  Scratch tickets are big sellers here because they have prizes to show for them.  Oh and that .3 can mean a lot!  Think about it.  Millions of tickets are printed.  That .3 could mean thousands of winners more or less easily. 

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                    Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2741 Posts
                    Posted: August 13, 2005, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

PA does offer free tickets as a prize on some games, but not many.

Also, I like NY's $2 games.  They're pretty easy to win at.  Their new $1 game is easy to win at.  I really like the take 5 5s game.  I'm waiting for the day my free play wins it.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Rolling's avatar - pacman
                      Queens, New York
                      United States
                      Member #20832
                      August 26, 2005
                      35 Posts
                      Posted: August 29, 2005, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Yes, definitely...the Instant Take Five is one of the few good ones I'd recommend as well in NY. I always purchase five in a row and have at least won my money back probably 95% of the time. Yesterday I purchased five, and the first ticket was a $5 winner and the next ticket was a $40 winner!! I also won two free plays. I was ecstatic because that is the most I've ever won on a $1 scratch off. You can easily spend $50 on either five $10 tickets or ten $5 tickets and not win anything. I've once seen someone buy ten $5 tickets from a brand new roll....numbers starting at ticket #100 and ending at #91....and they only had one $5 winning ticket. This also goes to show that buying tickets from the "back" or "front" of the roll does not necessarily mean you will win anything worth mentioning.

NY,NY
                        United States
                        Member #3793
                        February 21, 2004
                        845 Posts
                        Posted: September 5, 2005, 4:52 am - IP Logged

Yes, definitely...the Instant Take Five is one of the few good ones I'd recommend as well in NY. I always purchase five in a row and have at least won my money back probably 95% of the time. Yesterday I purchased five, and the first ticket was a $5 winner and the next ticket was a $40 winner!! I also won two free plays. I was ecstatic because that is the most I've ever won on a $1 scratch off. You can easily spend $50 on either five $10 tickets or ten $5 tickets and not win anything. I've once seen someone buy ten $5 tickets from a brand new roll....numbers starting at ticket #100 and ending at #91....and they only had one $5 winning ticket. This also goes to show that buying tickets from the "back" or "front" of the roll does not necessarily mean you will win anything worth mentioning.

But remember those 5.00 and 10.00 tickets in NY can payout the largest prizes in instant stratch off history anywhere.

I would recommend mixing it up from time to time, but definitely you dont want to spend too much on 5 and 10.00 tickets. I love take 5, easy money(you only need to get 2 matching numbers , instead of 3!! Talk about great odds) The Lucky 7 games are amongst the best, I have  received between 30- 80.00 for only 3-12 dollars worth of lucky 7s.

But if your in NY and its within your budget, I think one should  still buy a few 10 -5.00 tickets.

You wont find much places that give 1-20 million up

for stratching and 50,000-500k cash  for second prize

prize winners!!.

The $10.00 Rich for Life instant game, can give one of those lucky 1 in 5 million instant strather a whopping $5,000 weekly for life.  Even if the winner passes on,  I think the estate is guranteed to receive 5-10 million worth of payments!!!!

So I think NY stratches are awesome, but it wont be easy

to get rich playing these games. But you

have a shot at winning your dream life with a simple stratch game, and very few states can say the same.

If your aiming to play lotto as a side business, your better

with Pic 3s, Take 5, or Pic 4 all, forget stratch offs for the most part.

The crazy Pic-3 Lottoguy of NY

Its in the moment of decision that your

destiny is shaped- Anthony Robbins 

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: September 5, 2005, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

236:

None of NY's "million-dollar" or "life" scratches have a cash option, so I would avoid them like the plague.

Colin72's avatar - 18befae44328a76082c63
                            Long Island, New York
                            United States
                            Member #8034
                            October 21, 2004
                            2 Posts
                            Posted: September 14, 2005, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Whenever I play any of the scratch off games, it is usually the Instant Take Five scratch off games. Although I haven't played any of them in awhile now, I like how one can usually break even with the amount paid, and wind up with either a few free plays and/or a few bucks more. Last Summer I went a little nuts one day, and purchased $20 dollars worth of the Take Five scratch offs and wound up with $40 and $20 winners in the mix. Big Smile

United States
                              Member #1826
                              July 11, 2003
                              2645 Posts
                              Posted: September 24, 2005, 2:47 am - IP Logged

Amen to that. I did win $31 on a $5 scratch on the front of the roll. But when I played a $2 one on the front of the roll, loser. You never know whats going to happen, and that's just part of the fun.

(insert signature here)