Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

2nd tier MM prize as a progressive

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2005, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

What do you guys think?  I think to make sure the players get their 50% of ticket sales in each drawing they should have the 2nd tier a progressive for each state alone.  I mean the odds are 1 in 4 million almost which is quite larger then a lot of other lottery games.  It would be fun it would be like another jackpot to play for. 

Brad

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23262 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2005, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

No, I think each state should come up with their own separate progressive game, if that's their intention.

I like the fixed prize amounts, especially for smaller states that would otherwise never offer such big prizes for second place.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2005, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

No, I think each state should come up with their own separate progressive game, if that's their intention.

I like the fixed prize amounts, especially for smaller states that would otherwise never offer such big prizes for second place.

Good point. The whole purpose of the big games are to provide dollars the states cannot provide on their own.  Lets see, $50K chance for a dollar, or $41M chance for a dollar? Which way to go????

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
        Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1614 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2005, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Well the 2nd tier prize would only be progressive while everything else says the same.  How those states can afford a $250,000 prize is beyond me anyway.  But those "small" states don't have that many 2nd tier prize winners anyway.  Especially now after the new matrix.  So their jackpots would roll on an on too.  I mean I guess it does suck if two people win it when it is at $400,000.  Let just get the megaplier.  That's the solution.  haha

Brad

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2005, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

That's the reason why those smaller states can afford a $250,000 prize - they don't expect anyone to match 5+0 every single drawing; therefore, they can just hold the money set aside for those prizes for drawings in which they do need the money to pay the set prize winners.

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2005, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I hope that there's a Megaplier from Texas to go for all the MM states [except for CA that is pari-mutuel] so that a 5/5 player can win as much as $1 million if that's possible. CA should stick to pari-mutuel with 5/5 is at a mini progressive at 1.5 million this draw [if 1 ticket hits].

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2005, 12:04 am - IP Logged

I think CA has a brilliant idea with rolling over the match 5 prize each time there isn't a winner, but wouldn't that kill their Fantasy 5 game?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23262 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2005, 2:37 am - IP Logged

I think CA has a brilliant idea with rolling over the match 5 prize each time there isn't a winner, but wouldn't that kill their Fantasy 5 game?

No, F5 has much better odds, being a 5/39 game, whereas Mega Millions, when looked upon as as Pick 5-style game, is 5/56.  I think the progressive style of play for a 5+0 match is an interesting side-effect, but in no way endangers F5.

I think the fact that F5 is drawn by a computer in the state of California is something that could kill off the game, though....

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2005, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

I agree what you said Todd. The mini progressive of CA Matching 5 numbers in MM is a twist that MM didn't expect. It doesn't endanger F5 in CA right now, but I wished that F5 and Pick 3 go to a ball security machine.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2005, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

The second-prize progressive should be tried in more games. Maybe MUSL could offer it in Powerball, either state-by-state or a shared pool. BTW this is the ONE good thing about NY Lotto.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: August 10, 2005, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

$1,400,675 to be exact; still over $1 million after 25% federal tax withholding.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23262 Posts
                        Posted: August 10, 2005, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

It can't be done in Powerball, because small states would have terrible 2nd tier prizes.  It's already being done in all states that offer pari-mutuel prize payouts.  In fact, California has pari-mutuel prizes on all games, including SLP.  The problem with your theory (other than what I've mentioned already) is that the odds of hitting a 2nd prize in all other games is low enough that there would never be this kind of payout for 2nd place.

This is a concept that really only works with Mega Millions in California - a state big enough to do it.

Is is possible that other big states could also do it with a multi-state game, but the chances of any of them moving to pari-mutuel lower-tier prizes is remote at best.