Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 2:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Site Down

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23345 Posts
Posted: August 17, 2005, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Sandy, you're absolutely correct about the worm and how it works.  It attacks a Win2000 server, and then once inside, it can spread to any Microsoft box.

Please be assured that the Lottery Post servers are, and have been, secure from the worm.  The LP servers were never "infected" at all.

The data center sent me an e-mail early this afternoon saying that we should expect the network to go down for another 20 minutes, so that was the second outage, and it was expected.  I think they may be dealing with some faulty routers or something, so it probably has nothing to do with the worm thing.  Just a coincidence.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23345 Posts
    Posted: August 17, 2005, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

By the way, I use Windows 2003 on all LP servers, in case anyone is wondering.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LottoVantage's avatar - BRITIS 3.GIF
      Southeastern Ohio
      United States
      Member #13850
      April 16, 2005
      783 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2005, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I use Norton with no problems, I really like it.  I never had any problems with it blocking anything that I didn't want blocked, although their firewall tweaking is a bit tedious.  They are always very timely with virus updates -- as evidenced by the worm block that they had ready for download last night.  I had no worm worries at all today.  I wish the same thing could be said of my data center this morning!

Todd

I Agree!

LottoVantage

SirMetro's avatar - center
        East of Atlanta
        United States
        Member #6191
        August 11, 2004
        1389 Posts
        Posted: August 17, 2005, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Not sure if anyone noticed the news...but late evening reports I heard (have not followed up on it) was that the worm took out computers at CNN, WSB (atlanta based news station, TV & Radio) and even hit the White House. But that was late yesterday evening.

Sir Metro

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: August 17, 2005, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Hmm...

I use Norton with no problems, I really like it.  I never had any problems with it blocking anything that I didn't want blocked, although their firewall tweaking is a bit tedious.  They are always very timely with virus updates -- as evidenced by the worm block that they had ready for download last night.  I had no worm worries at all today.  I wish the same thing could be said of my data center this morning!

Ditto. I've never had a problem with Norton.  And FWIW, MS did seem to jump on this thing...My AUto Update downloaded Security patches first thing this morning.  And actually, "worm" is the name that should be used for the programmers of these things....it's more appropriate.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

konane's avatar - wallace
            Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #1265
            March 13, 2003
            3348 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2005, 7:56 pm - IP Logged
            Norton was what I got with my first computer and found it was unfriendly and problematic.  The only way I could fully get rid of it and its crumbs was do a complete hard drive format and start over.
            Used Trend Micro's House Call free virus scan and cleaning for about 3 years until going to XP then downloaded a trial version of their PC-Cillin which is equal to Norton with automatic updates sometimes several times a day depending on the threat.
            I'm with Sandy, I won't have anything whatsoever to do with Norton.

Good luck to everyone!

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8390 Posts
              Posted: August 17, 2005, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

why not due the recomended thing and go to microsoft networks critical updates and get the fix and patch and or whatever.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
                Clarkston, Michigan
                United States
                Member #76
                January 6, 2002
                8528 Posts
                Posted: August 17, 2005, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Well, my husband spent 10 hours on the phone at work today trying to get things back up and running.  It did hit General Motors also......

It is coming thru the routers.........

People do not shut their computers off at night therefore, missed the Windows Update notice that flashes in their tray.  You are right four4me......Microsoft was on it this morning with the patches...............

Sandy

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: August 18, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

As a mac user I just smile when I hear about yet another windows worm. Some days I forget to turn on the firewall at all. For servers I could imagine using Netbsd or some other bsd variant. As for worms, I haven't seen a native OS X virus yet but macs are a much smaller target. I guess I'll have to wait for the x86 macs to come out before I'll have to worry too much.