Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

SUPERCOMPUTERS & Lotteries......

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 11 years ago by pacattack05.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2005, 9:48 am - IP Logged

i am just curious to know, if a supercomputer beat the
world number one chess player do you think that in the
future we would have a supercomputer that predicts
lottery numbers or for that matter individual stocks
in the stock market.......
i would appreciate your response,

sincerely,
michael brown

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2005, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

My opinion: Beating the world's #1 chess player does not require predicting random moves. It requires great speed from the computer, which allows it to compute many possible moves and eliminate those that would not be assistive in gaining a victory, within well-defined rules.

Predicting (and actually hitting) winning lottery numbers requires predicting a great deal of randomness. I'm not at all certain that even a supercomputer can predict a random event.  The same as with a human predicting, there has to be a certain amount of "luck" involved.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: September 1, 2005, 2:51 am - IP Logged

A few years ago IBM came out with a super- computer designed to study nuclear explosions. It does a trillion calculations a second. It costs a 110 million dollars.

The problem isn't whether a super-computer can or cannot spit out the winning cash-3 number. The problem is that there is not enough history in any given state, to do it justice.

Having only 15 or so years to look back, in my opinion is not sufficient.

That is what I've been working on with a computer programmer at work. When completed, this program will be able to look back at a 10 million or more randomly chosen pick-3 database, rooted with only one seed. The seed will always remain the same. Once the list is printed out, I can then look at this list and search for patterns.