Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you buy few tickets each time or wait?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you buy a FEW tickets every drawing OR MANY tickets once every several drawings?

FEW tickets every drawing [ 31 ]  [83.78%]
MANY tickets once in a while [ 6 ]  [16.22%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: September 14, 2005, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

Do you play a few tickets each time or Do you play a lot of tickets once a month or even once every two months?  What is your opinion on the matter?  What is your rationale on frequency of lottery play?  Is it better to play a lot once a month compared to playing just one or two tickets every drawing?  Some winners have bought a lot of tickets once in a while (such as South Carolina's first Powerball winner in 2003;  Pennsylvania Powerball winner on New Year's Eve in late 2003), but most winners seem to have played a couple or few tickets more often (Indiana Powerball winner in January 2003; People who keep playing the same numbers, such as the Idaho Powerball winner in May 2005; people who play birthdays, etc.)

Just wondering where most people stand on the issue.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #567
    August 14, 2002
    485 Posts
    Posted: September 14, 2005, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

More tickets would bring more chances.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
      Member #567
      August 14, 2002
      485 Posts
      Posted: September 14, 2005, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

But it only takes one ticket to win.

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: September 14, 2005, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

FEW tickets once in a while

(insert signature here)

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: September 14, 2005, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Same as JimmySand9. I only by a few every now and then.

Dance like no one is watching.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: September 14, 2005, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Few tickets every draw (except when it's a big big jackpot like MM right now).

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: September 14, 2005, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Usually five or ten bucks per draw unless I buy more and go higher because of one thing or another.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: September 14, 2005, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

Normally I buy three ticket sets;  Each set has one QP and one with my number. I go to three stores and spend $2.00 in each store; hoping to get a diversified QP from three machines. I tend to buy two drawings each time I buy. For this week, I bought an additional $5.00 block in NJ and a second block for $5.00 in NY, two with my numbers, three with QP.  As I mentioned in a different thread, in NJ & NY, you have to choose annuity or cash when you buy the ticket; I always choose cash. I would rather control my destiny then have the state control it.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: September 14, 2005, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

I don't buy tickets in MM or powerball unless it breaks 300 (or 180 cash whatever is greater). I plan on spending alot if it finally breaks 300.

mken32's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    I dont know where
                    United States
                    Member #1702
                    June 18, 2003
                    103 Posts
                    Posted: September 14, 2005, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

I buy about 4 drawings @ 5.00 a pop equals 20.00 I have to drive about 40 miles to purchase my tix cross GA state coming from FL (Jax) it depends on the size of the Jackpot... min 60 million dollars I'll go and make the drive and hope and the Gas is twenty cents cheaper good deal.

Mken32

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: September 15, 2005, 12:47 am - IP Logged

My run for MM tickets is 40 miles round trip (Maryland). I have been known to make a run to NJ just for tickets and that trip is 90 miles round trip! Now this weekend I'll be staying in NJ starting early Friday evening, so I'll be getting my MM tickets then. I hope no later than 8pm to have my transaction completed! I also like the fact that NJ is a no tax state on lottery winnings, WoooooHooooo.Cheers

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

md
                        United States
                        Member #14047
                        April 20, 2005
                        580 Posts
                        Posted: September 15, 2005, 8:05 am - IP Logged

I like to buy $5 or $10 each, for 4 or 5 draws ahead.  Only after PB or MM reaches $50 million

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                          Member #5599
                          July 13, 2004
                          1192 Posts
                          Posted: September 15, 2005, 8:56 am - IP Logged

Definetly a few every time.  Think about it..

say $5...5/173M for Mega Millions vs

$50...50/173M....How much of your chances of winning realy changed?

If it is meant to be, it does matter how many tickets you buy. Conversly, if it wasn't meant to be, it doesn't matter how many tickets you buy.

For me, I'd rather have a chance every time. If you don't play, you have no chance at all.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

md
                            United States
                            Member #14047
                            April 20, 2005
                            580 Posts
                            Posted: September 15, 2005, 9:00 am - IP Logged

JKing-

I identify with your statement, "I'd rather have a chance everytime.  If you don't play, you have no chance.  If a 68 year old grandmother can win a $296m Jackpot; if a group of auto store workers can win a jackpot; if an aerobics instructor can win $96m; if j. whitaker can win, who is to say that my chances of winning aren't good! 

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: September 15, 2005, 9:14 am - IP Logged

For MM, I usually buy a minimum of two draws at a time. Two picks a ticket, one QP one slected. Three tickets. Tuesday and Wednesdayat the same time. Usually Saturday morning, to beat the mad rush to the machines.

When I drive to PA for PB, I try to buy the same grouping, only for five draws. 50 miles RT on a one lane highway is a pain.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice